Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GS & IRS $600 rule

Quote Originally Posted by Rjex View Post
    What annoys me in this is how to explain to IRS that the magic horn I sold in GS4 wasn't profit because I acquired it by trading some magic shoes for it a year earlier. Do you think the auditor will understand?
    The IRS doesn’t really care where the income came from, including illegal activity, as long as you report it on a 1040.

2. Default

From irs.gov on the topic: "Money received through third party payment networks from friends and relatives as personal gifts or reimbursements for personal expenses is not taxable."

Isn't it standard practice here for buyers to mark our payments as gifts/F&F? Assuming your buyers are doing that, I think you're good, yeah?
    You remove a pair of oval ora-framed spectacles with pale grey lenses from in your ebon linen vest.

You unfold the earpieces of your spectacles.

You put on a pair of oval ora-framed spectacles with pale grey lenses.

You think to yourself, "Deal with it."

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Teveriel View Post
    From irs.gov on the topic: "Money received through third party payment networks from friends and relatives as personal gifts or reimbursements for personal expenses is not taxable."

Isn't it standard practice here for buyers to mark our payments as gifts/F&F? Assuming your buyers are doing that, I think you're good, yeah?
    Correct.

Now, all the tickets I sold on Stubhub are a different matter.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lavastene View Post
    Correct.

Now, all the tickets I sold on Stubhub are a different matter.
    Big oof.
    You remove a pair of oval ora-framed spectacles with pale grey lenses from in your ebon linen vest.

You unfold the earpieces of your spectacles.

You put on a pair of oval ora-framed spectacles with pale grey lenses.

You think to yourself, "Deal with it."

Quote Originally Posted by Archigeek View Post
    It does seem rather petty, especially considering that short of large somes of money, collecting is going to be a money losing proposition. On the other hand, the IRS has always assumed that your money coming in is income. What I don't understand is, why bother? Next thing you know they'll be after the kids who shovel my sidewalk for 25 bucks.
    You mean they haven't already shut them down for not having a driveway shoveling permit?
    Last edited by Methais; 12-08-2022 at 07:37 PM.
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

Quote Originally Posted by Teveriel View Post

Who knows? Something tells me if it were that simple to avoid this rule then everyone would do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjex View Post
    What annoys me in this is how to explain to the IRS that the magic horn I sold in GS4 wasn't profit because I acquired it with silvers a year earlier. How would I even prove that it isn't income now. Do you think the auditor will understand?
    And that's part of this issue for this community in particular. If someone receives 20k from people during DR, but they spent 17k on the SimuCoins, then they really only earned 3k in profit, but the IRS is going to see 20k and will expect that to show up on their tax return as income unless the person can prove it wasn't all income. This is such a clusterfuck.

guess we're going back to money orders

This tax policy going into effect for 2023? Or retro active to 2022?

Sent from my IN2015 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rolis View Post
    This tax policy going into effect for 2023? Or retro active to 2022?

Oh, ignore. Video title says 2022.. I think I found my answer