Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10x HCW perfect mithril greatsword

Default 10x HCW perfect mithril greatsword

Looking for appraisal on a 10x HCW perfect forged mithril greatsword as the title suggests. Made from scratch at an estimated opportunity cost of 320m. Perfect forging is the mystery for me, I assume it's worth more in this context than the couple mil for a fresh perf weapon, but can't guess beyond that. Also has some extras like a complementary S1, nice long and show descripts, a name.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Looking for appraisal on a 10x HCW perfect forged mithril greatsword as the title suggests. Made from scratch at an estimated opportunity cost of 320m. Perfect forging is the mystery for me, I assume it's worth more in this context than the couple mil for a fresh perf weapon, but can't guess beyond that. Also has some extras like a complementary S1, nice long and show descripts, a name.
    The thing is with perfect weapons, there are a few that top the list as being the best and most sought after simply due to the way that DF and damage types work.

THW it's the maul. Crush damage is superior when you hit the head/neck over slash/puncture.
    Spikestar for OHB.
    Handaxe/Falchion for OHE.
    Lance for polearm.
    Brawling....no one cares.

Sadly, forging doesn't take the time/duration you spend hammering out a blade, it's based on the weapon type.
    A maul takes 1 hammer session in the forge to see if you craft a perfect piece or not.
    A greatsword takes 7 hammer sessions to see if you craft a perfect piece or not.

It takes you 7 times longer to try and hammer out a best greatsword piece (it also takes more material to craft a greatsword blade over a maul head).
    The greatsword is only superior to the maul against cloth and light leather. Scale armor the AvD is the same and the greatsword has a slightly higher DF, but chain and plate the maul is better.

You basically spend 7 times longer working on a weapon that's inferior to the maul. I'm not saying that the greatsword is bad in anyway, it still hits hard, but it's just not as sought after as the maul.

I know the pain of crafting perfect weapons and I do have one or two maul head and handle glyphs to my name, but I never feel like trying to really make them. I've spent a lot of material and hours working on perfect flamberges (they're just a cool looking weapon). Over the years I've crafted 5 perfect flamberge weapons. 2 out of gornar (took one to 7x and added maybe 5 CER to it and sold it years back), the other gornar I just made. Also have a faenor one that 5 CER Crit and Damage weighted and 2 razern. Anyway.....

Mauls are a bit more expensive in general to buy as a perfect weapon (maybe a mil or two more, depending on the starting material), not only because they're superior against heavy armor and have crush only crits, but the glyphs are very limited in the lands right now because they are only sold by merchants. I don't recall of any merchants selling these glyphs anytime recently.

I tried suggesting years back to give better end results for weapons that take longer to craft, but it fell on deaf ears. The only real adjustment we've seen with the forging aspect is the reduction of RT needed to craft a weapon. That was a nice change, but it still doesn't change the fact that you spend so much more material and time hammering out other weapons that are inferior to simple/easy to craft ones like the maul or lance.

Your best bet to price this is to get a general idea of what 10x weapons go for (tack on a few mil for it being a perfect) and cost for adding the HCW. I saw someone wanting to sell a 10x GEF perfect weapon sometime recently (I can't remember the weapon type, it may have been a maul), asking $150 (not sure what the current exchange rate is for silvers to $). Maybe that'll give you a spot to start thinking about your weapon in comparison.

Reference, grain of salt, no one cares, might help your price:

Couple years ago now greatsword purchase: x10, GUB, T5, Smidge of Weighting at the time, 2 Slot fusion with 2 T3 orbs = 350k BS.

Thanks for the insight guys!

I agree mauls are hands down superior to greatswords. They have better DF against any armor that matters, better AvD, swing faster, and have lower death crit thresholds due to exclusively doing crush damage. They're really overtuned. From an optimization standpoint the greatsword was the wrong choice, but it fit the character aesthetic and would still get the job done with room to spare so I went with it.

I rolled a dwarven warrior who uses a greataxe. It's what he's envisioned as. Probably some Golden Axe influence there.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Thanks for the insight guys!

I agree mauls are hands down superior to greatswords. They have better DF against any armor that matters, better AvD, swing faster, and have lower death crit thresholds due to exclusively doing crush damage. They're really overtuned. From an optimization standpoint the greatsword was the wrong choice, but it fit the character aesthetic and would still get the job done with room to spare so I went with it.
    I love the great swords!!1!!1
    The only rude person I met was a taxi driver in kagoshima. I was going from the train station to the ferry to take it over to an island and was showing him my papers and he was like "oh, climb mountain?" and I'm like "hai, yep!" and he made a muscle pose(bent arm, whatever you call it) laughed, and rubbed my belly.. like "oh, no, you fat american fuck, you no get up there", but whatever - Japhrimel

I think greatswords have become a reasonable choice with the increase in attack options besides AMBUSH.

They may be a better choice than a maul if you aren't using the AMBUSH command. For instance, if you are using TRUESTRIKE, your roundtime is probably identical between greatsword and maul, and then you might as well take the higher DF and use the greatsword with CMAN precision CRUSH. Im sure there are other examples
    Last edited by gilchristr; 09-17-2022 at 01:12 AM.
    Your mind is completely fucked. It is imperative that you unfuck immediately!

A year and a half ago a perfect 10x T5 HCW handaxe sold for around 200 million. A greatsword would be less, but it's good you haven't fucked it up with things like GEF and ensorcelling to needlessly jack up the difficulty. But the market is total dogshit currently, so probably 50-75 million at best unfortunately . Good luck with your sale, would love to see it go for more.

Yea, the market for perfects is weird.... daggers and the weapons you listed as being the "best" are the only ones I can reliably sell if I make them to toss in my shop. HOWEVER, I regularly get commissioned by people to make greatswords, warswords, etc who are happy to pay more for them than I'd make selling a maul or lance.

That said, the market for perfects has tanked across the board since they started charging 10x as much to add scripts to weapons as it costs to buy the same script already in a weapon OTS... so I'm not hitting the forge at all unless I get a commission.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephelem View Post
    A year and a half ago a perfect 10x T5 HCW handaxe sold for around 200 million. A greatsword would be less, but it's good you haven't fucked it up with things like GEF and ensorcelling to needlessly jack up the difficulty. But the market is total dogshit currently, so probably 50-75 million at best unfortunately . Good luck with your sale, would love to see it go for more.
    Everytime an uber weapon is created at Duskruin, that's one less unit of demand in the market. Items purchased at Duskruin are now like new cars in a "normal market": worth less than you paid as soon as you drive them off the lot. The owner has a weapon they like, but can't sell for a break even price.

Hopefully you enjoy it for years to come, because if you don't, you should get used to taking a loss when you sell, because everyone's stuff is more uber than it was last year, not just yours, so they're reluctant to buy what you're selling and have to sell their own stuff at a loss.

"Come to Duskruin and join the 'flare of the month' club, you can get a new one in six months for 400,000 BS!"
    I don't use Lich. If you want to do business with me, contact me via PM, IG, or on AIM. Or maybe use smoke signals. Don't like it, get off of my lawn.