Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Amazon LoTR

Quote Originally Posted by Suppa Hobbit Mage View Post
    Do people still pay for "regular" cable tv anymore? I was forcibly pushed off google tv/fiber about a year ago and honestly only missed it for a very brief transitional period. I also think I was late to cutting my cable.

I now get HD TV local stations over an antenna, and rotate my streaming services off/on. I guess I miss it a little simply for convenience sake but the cost savings felt pretty big. My "cable" bill went from like $230 (cable, 3 boxes, extra spanish channels for my MIL, plus internet) down to $60 for internet. We have smart tv's in the bedrooms so you can get anything streaming, and the antenna in the living room for live local news/sports.
    15 years ago I felt like I needed cable, especially when DVRs became so readily available. But nowadays with streaming and my general lack of interest in most television I don’t miss cable at all.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Archigeek View Post
    Unfortunately for me the only reliable internet access I can get in my neighborhood is through cable. I can get it through the phone company, but that has a terrible track record. The good news is we pay for minimum basic cable plus 1 box and internet access. Costs about $100/month by the time you add all the hidden fees.
    So jealous. My only real internet options are satellite or worse satellite. Elon Musk has been telling me for 2 years I'd get Sknet RSN but it just keeps getting pushed so I have to struggle with VIASAT and that gross bill versus Hughes Net and their even worse plan and similar prices. I damn near gave a verizon driver a BJ to put in a line down our road but it turned out he was just there for some telephone bullshit
    Discord - Arrolus#0270

Follow my farm - Cool Story Farm on facebook and Instagram!

Arrolus - Monk
    Aromos - Cleric

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    Also I just realized that Amazon’s 25 million number is for both episodes, so that means so far they are averaging roughly 12.5 million views per episode. The show might be good and it might do really well, but so far Amazon seems to be reaching with how they are framing these numbers. They carefully say things like “the most successful show ever! … for Amazon studios.” Or “the most popular TV show right now!” Without mentioning that they are combining viewership for both episodes into one number.
    Both episodes came out at the same time.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Suppa Hobbit Mage View Post
    Do people still pay for "regular" cable tv anymore? I was forcibly pushed off google tv/fiber about a year ago and honestly only missed it for a very brief transitional period. I also think I was late to cutting my cable.

I now get HD TV local stations over an antenna, and rotate my streaming services off/on. I guess I miss it a little simply for convenience sake but the cost savings felt pretty big. My "cable" bill went from like $230 (cable, 3 boxes, extra spanish channels for my MIL, plus internet) down to $60 for internet. We have smart tv's in the bedrooms so you can get anything streaming, and the antenna in the living room for live local news/sports.
    I have DirecTV Stream. It isn't "regular" cable TV, but it is essentially the same. A lot of people pay for things like that and call themselves "cord cutters", but all you really did was replace the cable cord with an internet cord.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    15 years ago I felt like I needed cable, especially when DVRs became so readily available. But nowadays with streaming and my general lack of interest in most television I don’t miss cable at all.
    I completely agree with this. I stopped actively watching cable TV so long ago, I can hardly remember. I think when battlestar galactica ended was about when I stopped. Anything I wanted to watch that I overheard people talking about, or that was suggested to me, there's a million free sites out there where you can watch them. I did have a short phase where I used an antenna for some limited tv channels and its a great idea if you want a non-reoccuring cost solution but I just lacked interest for even that. I can probably count on 2 hands the number of TV shows I watched in the last 2 decades.

Blog Entries

Watched the 3rd episode last night..........

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. ~ Marcus Aurelius
    “It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“The urge to shout filthy words at the top of his voice was as strong as ever.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Quote Originally Posted by Neveragain View Post
    Watched the 3rd episode last night..........

Did the beardless dwarves receive their reparations? Did warrior-Galadriel show those oppressive racist colonizing Numenoreans the error in their ways?

Blog Entries

Alright, 5 episodes and 5 hours in...

As boring as it was after the first one. Every subplot is just kind of spinning its wheels. Hobbits haven't done anything. The Elrond/Durin bromance continues unabated but is lessened without Disa. Arondir is boring and overshadowed by Adar. 'Galadriel is super powerful and cool and can do anything and we love her' - the writers. I GET IT. I got it when she killed a troll in the first episode, fighting 5 teenage recruits isn't going to change that.

We're going to get to episode 10 or whatever and nothing will have been meaningfully resolved or moved forward.
    Last edited by Taernath; 09-24-2022 at 12:20 AM.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Woman capable of pounding faces, pounded faces. Less at 7.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Astray View Post
    Woman capable of pounding faces, pounded faces. Less at 7.
    thought writers learned from the whole Captain Marvel fiasco that characters that can kill everything with their pinkies and face no challenges are completely unrelatable and uninteresting.