Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Amazon LoTR

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    Celebrimbor is the one who started Duskruin, which is what the rings were originally made for. Galadriel is about 5000 years old in the show, having lived through GSII and most of GSIII. The Galadriel at the end of the film series is post-cap and spent about $25k at DR which is why she is so OP.
    The show is GS2. Hobbit/LotR Movies are GS3. They hopefully will not continue to make a GS4, although it is shown a few times in extended cuts and talked of in books.
    Last edited by Gelston; 09-12-2022 at 12:05 PM.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    lol, it isn't though. Amazon spent 250m just for the rights, before any filming, and then it is over 100m a season, and they've already committed to a 5 season run, with plans to spend just over a billion. All three LotR films together had a budget of 280m.
    Ok, I admit I assumed a bit on the budget. However, while spending 250m for rights is technically on the budget, what I really wanted to know was how much did they actually spend on the creating this series and comparing it to how much LotR spent on creating their series to determine if their money was spent wisely. Because then we'd be comparing apples to apples.

Ok, I was bored so I did some math...

LoTR Trilogy - 3 movies, 9 hrs 17 minutes (557 minutes)
    Budget - $281 million
    Cost Per Minute - $504k

Rings of Power - 5 seasons, 8 episodes per season, 40 hours (2400 minutes)
    Budget (w/rights) - $715m
    Cost Per Minute (w/rights) - $298k
    Budget (wo/rights) - $465m
    Cost Per Minute (wo/rights) - $194k

When you look at it from this perspective, the budget for RoP is close to half of what LoTR is even if you include the rights fee. Much less of course without the fee.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by onurb View Post
    Ok, I admit I assumed a bit on the budget. However, while spending 250m for rights is technically on the budget, what I really wanted to know was how much did they actually spend on the creating this series and comparing it to how much LotR spent on creating their series to determine if their money was spent wisely. Because then we'd be comparing apples to apples.

Ok, I was bored so I did some math...

LoTR Trilogy - 3 movies, 9 hrs 17 minutes (557 minutes)
    Budget - $281 million
    Cost Per Minute - $504k

Rings of Power - 5 seasons, 8 episodes per season, 40 hours (2400 minutes)
    Budget (w/rights) - $715m
    Cost Per Minute (w/rights) - $298k
    Budget (wo/rights) - $465m
    Cost Per Minute (wo/rights) - $194k

When you look at it from this perspective, the budget for RoP is close to half of what LoTR is even if you include the rights fee. Much less of course without the fee.
    I think it costs go down for the series because they are using sets other services and such a lot more often and over a longer period of time so costs go down. I think the quality looks as good as LotR, and better than Hobbit.

I watched the first episode of House of Dragons. I liked it alot. Looking forward to watching another one tonight.

Blog Entries

I watched the first episode of House of Dragons. I liked it alot. Looking forward to watching another one tonight.
    I've been watching both, pretty happy with both series so far.

Not sure why all the hate for RoP. I got a kick out of Durin's wife.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. ~ Marcus Aurelius
    “It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“The urge to shout filthy words at the top of his voice was as strong as ever.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Neveragain View Post
    I've been watching both, pretty happy with both series so far.

Not sure why all the hate for RoP. I got a kick out of Durin's wife.
    Hahaha, people were pissed at them showing female dwarves too. And that she was black.

The only thing in RoP that kinda bothered me is how the halflings looked. They could have done a better job. They didnt even seem short enough, especially the main female halfling, she's pretty tall.

Is that gandalf? the person who was found in the fiery crater?

8. Default

If you grade RoP as a Tolkien work, it's 1-star. It basically has Tolkien dressing but totally re-written as a social justice display.

As "generic fantasy show", it's maybe 3 stars, at best. It's boring (nothing happens in the first few episodes, people constantly narrate what is in front of them, lots of standing around), the main protagonist is utterly unlikable, with zero vulnerabilities and faults other than her insufferable, arrogant personality, and the constant social justice messaging is tiresome. I mean, see the 11 male elves fumble around helplessly with the troll and Galadriel does a 360 back sword flip and kills it without breaking a sweat. Really? Grrrrrl Power much? The dialogue is cheesy as shit and poorly written "you have not seen whaaat i have seeen" ::dramatic pause::, i mean come on.

The constant poor imitations of Game of thrones catch phrasing that just falls flat "THE SEA IS ALWAYS CORRECT!!!" i mean what/?!!! GoT gave us "The North Remembers", "What is Dead May Never Die", and so on. And RoP has "The sea is always correct!!!!" This is shaping up to be a huge flop for Amazon, a historical one.
    Last edited by C.Difficile; 09-13-2022 at 01:41 PM.

9. Default

The only thing in RoP that kinda bothered me is how the halflings looked. They could have done a better job. They didnt even seem short enough, especially the main female halfling, she's pretty tall.

Is that gandalf? the person who was found in the fiery crater?
    For copyright reasons they could not use halflings so they scoured the Silmarillion for a similar race, then created a she-Frodo and she-Samwise who basically are exact clones but grrrrrl power to then tool around with a Gandalf-like clone. Like everything about the series is just a poor rip off of something better.

So yeah they wrote these Harrowfoots into existence (and whom tolken basically said did nothing of note in his story and werent worth writing about) who sing about their big hearts and care bear shit but when one of their guys falls down in the snow they're like fuck that guy, lets keep moving. Just shitty shitty writing, lots on internal inconsistencies. Sooo bad.
    Last edited by C.Difficile; 09-13-2022 at 01:49 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    Hahaha, people were pissed at them showing female dwarves too. And that she was black.
    Guess they have never heard of dark iron dwarves.

Pretty much the only people I hear giving bad reviews are 50 year old dudes that still read comic books.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. ~ Marcus Aurelius
    “It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“The urge to shout filthy words at the top of his voice was as strong as ever.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984