Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lockpicking - Lmaster Focus vs 403/404

Default Lockpicking - Lmaster Focus vs 403/404

So i've been away for a few years and I don't recall Lmaster Focus being a thing back when I was around (Maybe I just missed it being there - it's been 4 years or so I think).

Capped rogue with 403/404 (404 max spell currently).
    Rogue GuildMaster

Is 403/404 always better than Focus or what's the best way to figure it out? Yes there are formulas, but little confused on how 403/404 work at this point anymore.

Using the Focus formula it gives me a bonus of 126 based on that (I think?). Any thoughts/help would be appreciated.

Thanks

LM Focus is better, unless you are using the water lore benefit of 403/404.

Not using any of the lore benefit. I guess the main thing I was trying to figure out, is can I drop the spells all together.

Are there any scripts out that that calculate the bonuses for 403/404/Focus to give me exact numbers?

Thanks for the response!

The LM equation is pretty straightforward. 2 x LM rank + (Dexterity bonus / 2)

So say 25 Dex bonus and LM master, you'd get +138

Yeah that one wasn't hard to figure out but I was having a hard time figuring out what the 403/404 bonuses were though. Which made it impossible for me to compare at that point.

Level / 2 + Picking locks ranks / 10 + Dex Bonus + MnE ranks/4. So say level 100 with 303 picking ranks, 25 Dex bonus, and 4 MnE spells known. 50 + 30 + 25 + 1 = 106

Say you had Dex enhanced to 50 bonus, and had 80 MnE ranks, that would still just be 150 bonus. Conversely, that extra Dex would make your LM focus bonus become 150 as well. So you'd literally have to have over 50 Dex bonus and or over 80 MnE ranks, for 403/404 to get a higher bonus. Well, I guess if you enhanced your picking by +50, that would be an extra +5 bonus....

If you aren't high level - even more reason to use LM focus, as it's not so level dependent (Outside of the guild wall).
    Last edited by Mobius1; 08-12-2022 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius1 View Post
    Level / 2 + Picking locks ranks / 10 + Dex Bonus + MnE ranks/4. So say level 100 with 303 picking ranks, 25 Dex bonus, and 4 MnE spells known. 50 + 30 + 25 + 1 = 106

Say you had Dex enhanced to 50 bonus, and had 80 MnE ranks, that would still just be 150 bonus. Conversely, that extra Dex would make your LM focus bonus become 150 as well. So you'd literally have to have over 50 Dex bonus and or over 80 MnE ranks, for 403/404 to get a higher bonus. Well, I guess if you enhanced your picking by +50, that would be an extra +5 bonus....

If you aren't high level - even more reason to use LM focus, as it's not so level dependent (Outside of the guild wall).
    Awesome. Thank you. The 106 sounds like where I would be at. When did LM Focus come out? Guess I can ditch the 4 spells and use that for something else.

It was a change that came with PSM. And yeah, I recommend to just about everyone that they drop the spell ranks, unless you have other reasons for having spells.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius1 View Post
    It was a change that came with PSM. And yeah, I recommend to just about everyone that they drop the spell ranks, unless you have other reasons for having spells.
    Perfect. Appreciate your help!

I know this is probably moot now because you have your build and you're happy with it but spells are so powerful its a shame not to have them for defensive purposes as a rogue that's capped. I saw you want to be 0 spells, are you going Kroderine Soul then? May as well