Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How has the loot cap mechanics panned out?

Default How has the loot cap mechanics panned out?

Curious what details have been gleaned now that this has been in the game for a while. My style of play was to hunt without scripting or being afk, then sell the silvers. Didn't even try to optimize, just hunt hunt hunt. A few million a day... I doubt that I had much influence on the economy, unlike the huge multi-account hunters.

Any details to share?

Somehow the value of silvers dropped after they implemented the loot cap. They have bounced back slightly with Wyrom doing event boxes and the premium fest at the end of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    Somehow the value of silvers dropped after they implemented the loot cap. They have bounced back slightly with Wyrom doing event boxes and the premium fest at the end of the month.
    Off-subject but I was thinking… Gemstone needs another separate instance of prime that is a ladder season like Diablo 2. Maybe an annual reset? Last time I tried to play a few months back, I couldn’t really get into it. Everyone has established characters and it’s all about the capped end game hunting areas these days. Nothing wrong with that of course, but there isn’t much incentive or social interaction starting fresh.

Is there a market for such a thing as an annual ladder season with perhaps a leader board?
    Last edited by Suppressed Poet; 07-14-2022 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressed Poet View Post
    Off-subject but I was thinking… Gemstone needs another separate instance of prime that is a ladder season like Diablo 2. Maybe an annual reset? Last time I tried to play a few months back, I couldn’t really get into it. Everyone has established characters and it’s all about the capped in game these days. Nothing wrong with that of course, but there isn’t much incentive or social interaction starting fresh.

Is there a market for such a thing as an annual ladder season with perhaps a leader board?
    Sounds like an interesting idea. I doubt the GMs would go for it though.

5. Default

Splitting the player base even more than it already is = terrible idea

Quote Originally Posted by SonoftheNorth View Post
    Splitting the player base even more than it already is = terrible idea
    Yeah maybe so. Honestly I doubt it would do much to attract new or returning players. It just doesn’t feel the same for me. Perhaps I have changed. Every 6 months or so I get the itch to play again, but after 1-2 days I come to the conclusion that I don’t get enough out of it to justify the time investment.

/end rant. Sorry to derail thread topic and please continue.

The new player experience team has been working on a new area and a bunch of quest lines. I think 0 to 20 or 25 with introduction quest type stuff for for new players. I haven't heard much about the status of this lately. Heard about it over 2 years ago. I have plans to try to get some friends to play when that area opens up - there might be a small surge of new characters at that time.

Sent from my IN2015 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Off-subject but I was thinking… Gemstone needs another separate instance of prime that is a ladder season like Diablo 2. Maybe an annual reset? Last time I tried to play a few months back, I couldn’t really get into it. Everyone has established characters and it’s all about the capped end game hunting areas these days. Nothing wrong with that of course, but there isn’t much incentive or social interaction starting fresh.

When they re-released Classic WoW it was a blast. Having everyone starting fresh, though not as amazing as when WoW was first released, was one of Blizzards best ideas in a long while.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. ~ Marcus Aurelius
    “It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“The urge to shout filthy words at the top of his voice was as strong as ever.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

BDO has "season servers" where everyone starts at level 1, you can only have one character per account (and they have enough anti-cheat software it is actually hard to MA) but on the other end of it they give out great gear as part of the quest and you get a nice little EXP boost up to a certain level (pretty much max level though that game has no real max level)

GSIV could use newbie island like this if they a) really leaned into it with GM support on the stories b) found a way to stop everyone from just loading it up with their alts for the benefits.

I don't know if they have it in them to do a or b though.

If your play time allows and you like the big GM led group rp thing there's town storylines going in various places several days a week. The big meat market RP events aren't my thing but participation isn't strictly level gated or anything (though barrier of entry so you aren't just background noise people ignore can be an issue.)

There's also the OSA (open seas adventures, ship combat) stuff if you didn't try that you should give it a go your next time around. It can be a bit more conducive to playing with people outside your level range than other content and a lot of people are generally pretty eager to take new people out to show them the ropes.
    Last edited by Donquix; 07-15-2022 at 11:25 AM.
    Mithrilschlong, 2015-03-10 to slightly later on 2015-03-10. You will not be forgotten!
    usable Meteor Swarm, late 2020-12-30 to early 2020-12-31. You will also not be forgotten!