Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How has the loot cap mechanics panned out?

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressed Poet View Post
    Off-subject but I was thinking… Gemstone needs another separate instance of prime that is a ladder season like Diablo 2. Maybe an annual reset? Last time I tried to play a few months back, I couldn’t really get into it. Everyone has established characters and it’s all about the capped end game hunting areas these days. Nothing wrong with that of course, but there isn’t much incentive or social interaction starting fresh.

Is there a market for such a thing as an annual ladder season with perhaps a leader board?
    The fame list is the closest thing to a leaderboard.
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

Off-subject but I was thinking… Gemstone needs another separate instance of prime that is a ladder season like Diablo 2. Maybe an annual reset? Last time I tried to play a few months back, I couldn’t really get into it. Everyone has established characters and it’s all about the capped end game hunting areas these days. Nothing wrong with that of course, but there isn’t much incentive or social interaction starting fresh.

Is there a market for such a thing as an annual ladder season with perhaps a leader board?
    The fame list is the closest thing to a leaderboard.
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.

Fantastic idea, I believe it would revive the game. Proposed this 11 years ago. http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthrea...eel&highlight=
    Quote Originally Posted by FAPAuctions View Post
    Jaeden fights with the strength and determination of a divine zealot.
    http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?t=55156
    Quote Originally Posted by IorakeWarhammer View Post
    you really made a whole thread because you got stunned?

Quote Originally Posted by IorakeWarhammer View Post
    Fantastic idea, I believe it would revive the game. Proposed this 11 years ago. http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthrea...eel&highlight=
    I don't see this working for a game like GS in any sort of meaningful way without drastically increasing the rate of leveling.

5. Default

I always just hunted and then sold the silver because nifty things were quite expensive in the aftermarket. I didn't min./max my earnings. Just hunt then sell every now and then. At one time silvers sold for 45 bucks a million on eBay but were not as easy to earn. Then we got a few big multi-accounters who went from area to area and it was amazing to see. Destroyed the silvers economy, well that and Simu milking the whales with Duskruin.

I miss playing GS, but sitting in a chair for long periods causes my feet and legs to swell. I sold out my characters so I wouldn't be tempted to return. I check in to see what's going on now and then... COVID caused a lot of people to return so the game is going to continue for some time to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Schoolin' View Post
    Curious what details have been gleaned now that this has been in the game for a while. My style of play was to hunt without scripting or being afk, then sell the silvers. Didn't even try to optimize, just hunt hunt hunt. A few million a day... I doubt that I had much influence on the economy, unlike the huge multi-account hunters.

Any details to share?
    Silvers ironically dropped in value because, even though staff shut off the valve, they didn't do anything to drain the excess until starting this past February with the event boxes. Thankfully, they've kept event boxes going and really pushed the April and June ones to basically mirror player market pricing while also offering resale value (which is where the Duskruin arena box whiffed since its RPA orb was attuned).

The Rings of Lumnis box, in particular, drained more silver than the Duskruin box and Rumor Woods box combined by a long shot (7.76b vs. 3b and 2.5b). There are multiple reasons why, but among them is that it offered so much value that players (including me) were throwing silvers at others to buy the box on their behalf and keep all the items in it other than the event entries.

In short, it seems like things have stabilized because of event boxes, the premium auction, and vague hints about another auction, but I'd say the jury's still out on what the loot cap accomplished because the drains haven't been in effect long enough.

We'll see what happens with their second shot at a Duskruin box and first shot at an Ebon Gate box. If they really nail it down on solid value the way they did with the RoL box, but now on more broadly popular events, that could be the silver drains we were looking for. Then we could see the real impact of the loot cap next year.

Last thing, funny enough... If you were making a few million a day and played often, then you actually would have been affected by the loot cap and considered a top 1% player. :P Diminishing returns kick in after 16 million made in a month, gradual at first but getting progressively harsher until loot stops dropping entirely at 35 million. (The latter amount is what was determined to be the top 1% of players.)

Not worth making a thread over, but since this is a silvers thread, is there a list of items from the auction posted anywhere?

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Methais View Post
    Not worth making a thread over, but since this is a silvers thread, is there a list of items from the auction posted anywhere?
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=364956017
    Elementary my dear Watson!

Nice. It didn't drain as much silvers as I thought it would, but 10 billion isn't bad.

Blog Entries

some cool things too. That CM knowledge headbutt helm is legit
    Discord - Arrolus#0270

Follow my farm - Cool Story Farm on facebook and Instagram!

Arrolus - Monk
    Aromos - Cleric