Page 34 of 62 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: Rogue service proposal

Quote Originally Posted by Neovik1 View Post
    In his defense he doe interact with me by autobot whispering and lnet’ing me that I can join his bandit group by whispering to him. I wonder if TGO is really there or if this is a self aware AI at this point. Heh…
    How dare you. I type out those whispers every time. Honest.

Ultimately bottom line why do you want to interact with someone that doesn’t want to interact with you in that way? What do you really get out of it? Why force it? The opt in system resolves a lot of issues with the encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    How dare you. I type out those whispers every time. Honest.
    Hahah! Maybe the AI thinks they type it.

Quote Originally Posted by HebrewToYou View Post
    And it's expected behavior not to heal or raise someone without their consent. It does happen, of course, but not often.
    Clearly we need more flags.

Blog Entries

The ability to not get healed if you don't want already exists, if alive. Ability to not get raised exists too.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

6. Default

I believe DEMEANOR already affects this? As Gelston says, this is already fully supported by existing mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    The ability to not get healed if you don't want already exists, if alive. Ability to not get raised exists too.
    Yeah but that requires effort like breaking the link, as this thread has proved that’s too difficult. Moar flags!

Quote Originally Posted by Methais View Post
    Overall I think the buffs will outweigh the existence of a stupid flag, but that doesn't make the flag any less stupid when there are a billion ways to shut down pickpockets as it is, with some of them being huge deterrents (cursed gems, needles, etc.) that would most likely make said pickpocket think twice before trying to steal from that person again.
    While I still think there should be a way to passively opt out of even being subject to the PP system, I'd be in favor of trying the cursed gems and needles being the passive way to avoid the system while keeping it in game. But in that case, cursed gems, needles, jaws, etc. should all be purchasable for relatively inexpensive amounts at an NPC shop in all towns.

Quote Originally Posted by Methais View Post
    It just seems like it would make sense to wait and see if a problem even arises in the first place instead of putting out a fire where there isn't even smoke.

Overall I think the buffs will outweigh the existence of a stupid flag, but that doesn't make the flag any less stupid when there are a billion ways to shut down pickpockets as it is, with some of them being huge deterrents (cursed gems, needles, etc.) that would most likely make said pickpocket think twice before trying to steal from that person again.

Years ago when I used to pickpocket a lot, once I pulled a cursed gem off of someone, I rarely went back into their pockets. And most of the time I did, I regretted it because I pulled another cursed gem, for example.

For me personally even though I think the flag is good, I’ll keep the flag off and accept the consequences and not get mad when someone steals from me. I’ve seen a lot worse stuff happen in GS over the years. I said this to Midgar and he seemed to have issue with me saying that since apparently no thief would have a chance at stealing from me anyway. I guess he only likes to steal from people that have no chance or defense even though he has max PP enhancives.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Viekn View Post
    Facilitate, but not require. Don't get me wrong, I think RP and player interactions should be facilitated by the systems of the game. But if you like the fact that GS is a medieval fantasy text based RPG and want to play it for that reason but don't want to interact with other characters, you should be able to do that in a passive way.
    The core of what I was trying to express is that every system's (and the game's as a whole) raison d'etre is to create an environment for roleplay, and the spread of skills between professions demonstrates a clear design preference toward group RP. Your single-player-Gemstone example, while not uncommon, is an edge case where the player is only interested in RP with themselves. Pickpocketing doesn't impinge on that mode of play any more than a passerby going '::sologuy or sharing a hunting area with others. Further, the revenue lost from a single monster in a hunting area being killed by another character is likely to be more than you're likely to lose in a month to pickpockets, if the reported PP rates are to be believed.