Page 2 of 62 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Rogue service proposal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius1 View Post
    The reality is it's not really hurting anyone, and a very vocal group on Discord act like they speak for the majority in that this is a good thing for the game.

I really hope the GMs in charge don't let them ruin our game to fix a made up problem.
    If you're really the majority then the majority will choose to keep the flag off and nothing will change, let alone ruin the game.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    If you're really the majority then the majority will choose to keep the flag off and nothing will change, let alone ruin the game.
    Uh huh, sure.

The reality is it will pretty much destroy what little pickpocketing CvC there is, as the system is already beleaguered as it is.

It will definitely kill the atmosphere and feel of the game for a lot of people. Even those that want to not flag and participate in the system won't really be able to, as there won't be many people, if any, that will actually bother to steal from players anymore. It will put the nail in coffin for that way of life, and make a lot of cool and interesting items and systems pointless.

I haven't given up hope though. I like to think a lot of the GMs are going to not want one of the awesome and unique systems that this game has, get destroyed. I will not at all be surprised if the flag part gets removed from the proposal.
    Last edited by Mobius1; 06-28-2022 at 01:44 AM.

Blog Entries

People overexaggerate their losses to pickpockets, from what I remember you can't even pickpocket in TSC anymore. You can't spam pickpocket a person because of the cooldown, if there's a sanctuary up you can't pickpocket, simply keeping your containers shut protects from being pickpocketed.

Being able to flag it on or off is really mamby pamby shit. My first role playing experience in Gemstone was with a bluget, it was that experience that hooked me on the game.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. ~ Marcus Aurelius
    “It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“The urge to shout filthy words at the top of his voice was as strong as ever.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Uh huh, sure.
    The reality is it will pretty much destroy what little pickpocketing CvC there is, as the system is already beleaguered as it is.
    You're giving people the choice to participate if they want to, if you want them to participate there needs to be a worthwhile incentive. I don't know maybe there's always flat percentage to catch a thief regardless of training and if you catch them you take 10,000 of their experience instantly! You'll have heck of a lot more people choosing to leave the flag on.

Also stealing needs to be taken out of the character trainer and should be treated like an artisan skill, you'll get more people participating if a lvl 20 person feels they have a chance of defending themselves against a 40m post capped Rogue with the potential to gain something from the thief.
    Last edited by Winter; 06-28-2022 at 08:43 AM.

Blog Entries

Uh huh, sure.

It will definitely kill the atmosphere and feel of the game for a lot of people. Even those that want to not flag and participate in the system won't really be able to, as there won't be many people, if any, that will actually bother to steal from players anymore. It will put the nail in coffin for that way of life, and make a lot of cool and interesting items and systems pointless.

I haven't given up hope though. I like to think a lot of the GMs are going to not want one of the awesome and unique systems that this game has, get destroyed. I will not at all be surprised if the flag part gets removed from the proposal.
    The "atmosphere" and "feel of the game" that you love will still be there because the messaging isn't being removed. You can still steal from random people and have all kinds of awesome RP about it.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    You're giving people the choice to participate if they want to, if you want them to participate there needs to be a worthwhile incentive. I don't know maybe there's always flat percentage to catch a thief regardless of training and if you catch them you take 10,000 of their experience instantly! You'll have heck of a lot more people choosing to leave the flag on.

Also stealing needs to be taken out of the character trainer and should be treated like an artisan skill, you'll get more people participating if a lvl 20 person feels they have a chance of defending themselves against a 40m post capped Rogue with the potential to gain something from the thief.
    I think Winter makes a lot of good points. IF the flag is implemented, they should add an incentive to keep it on. Even if it wasn't stealing the exp from the thief, but you felt so good about yourself having caught them, you're rewarded with a .5x or 1x RPA for half an hour or 15 minutes, activated the next time you earn exp. Something big enough to make it worth keeping the flag on, but small enough people aren't exploiting it. People would probably exploit that anyway though.

Also, if you're trained in stealing, and you catch someone, it automatically triggers a reprisal attempt to steal from the thief, and your attempt has a 5x modifier for success, or some such.

Addressing the RP aspect of this though: Someone's flag being ON doesn't stop you from trying to steal from them, so why should that change how you RP your character? You've lost no opportunity in RP'ing a thief because of this change.

And for anyone that does turn their flag ON, they probably were never interested in RP'ing this scenario anyway. If they caught you, they were probably just going to be pissed off IRL, and either warn interact you or never want interact with your character ever again, and from an RP prospective, that's not what you want either. At least this way, if someone has their flag ON and you get caught, they're maybe not pissed off because they didn't actually lose anything or were never at risk of losing anything, and they're more likely to RP it. And for those that leave it on, you know those people are likely the ones who were more interested in RP'ing the situation anyway.

I'll be leaving mine off, because I could give two shits if you end up stealing from me, and would welcome the RP opportunity. I would imagine there's still quite a lot of us out there that will leave it off for this reason. And for those that don't, that wasn't your target audience anyway.

Blog Entries

service ideas look neat
    Discord - Arrolus#0270

Follow my farm - Cool Story Farm on facebook and Instagram!

Arrolus - Monk
    Aromos - Cleric

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    I didn't even notice that part.

lol

Just remove stealing from other players, this is such a joke.

Is anyone really going to roleplay this anymore?

"Oh hey, I totally noticed you tried to steal from me, but thanks to the OOC flag I have set you did not steal from me, now I must kill you!"
    "No, please don't kill me for not stealing anything from you because of the OOC flag you have set!
    I used to make tons off Zanagan being afk on Teras 24/7 with his containers always open back in GS3.
    Last edited by Methais; 06-28-2022 at 10:04 AM.
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    Man pickpocketing has always been a janky awkward system. At least with the flag you'll only be interacting with guaranteed enjoyers of all this supposed deep and compelling pickpocket RP. The PvE aspect sounds interesting, but I thought we used to be able to steal from shopkeepers.

The rest of the stuff will probably be good for bounty work. Poisoncrafting might be cool.

Overall a win.
    You could in GS3. I don't remember when or why it changed though.

I think the player flag is stupid, but let's be honest though...how much actual pickpocketing based "RP" has happened in the past 10-15 years, and how much of it wasn't just "NO U!!" >ambush thief head
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.

The reality is it's not really hurting anyone, and a very vocal group on Discord act like they speak for the majority in that this is a good thing for the game.

I really hope the GMs in charge don't let them ruin our game to fix a made up problem.
    Discord is pretty much the worst thing to happen to GS. It's little more than a handful of clueless retards, which 99% of them suck at the easiest game ever made and probably spend more time in Discord than they do playing the actual game, crying about bullshit like pickpocketing and sucking on Estild's asshole anytime he announces more nerfs.