Page 6 of 62 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: Rogue service proposal

Quote Originally Posted by BLZrizz View Post
    The "consent" argument being bandied about in discord is intriguing, like a guy lightning his own farts on fire is intriguing. That's like saying you want to play Mario brothers, but don't "consent" to Koopa assaulting you. All you want to do is pick up mushrooms and dance around the world.

Guess what, the answer is not to nerf the game into oblivion and turn it into SafeSpaceStoneV. Maybe you shouldn't be playing an open world game.
    Many are equating it to rape (without explicitly saying it). That place is the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    That's absolutely hilarious. Do you have a link to a post or is it from Discord?
    Naijin posted it on discord.

It also suggests that the grand pronouncements of GS' viability and supposed sense of immersion hinging on that particular skill is bunk.
    It's not bunk, because it's about principle. A game that is sliding towards care bare safe space-ism is not a game I want to continue to support.
    Discord: Jivan#1805

I used to train in picking pockets with my wizard before the current rules of pick pockets were put in place. Granted, he could only 1x in the skill, but he was around level 80something at the time and he could clean the pockets of a lot of marks. I wouldn't even need to hide, just cast 916 every now and then....no one looked at the wizard fading in and out of invisibility.

Once they changed how picking pockets worked, put time limits between pulls, making the gathering spots anti-pickpocketing, I untrained the skill and I haven't bothered with it since, not even with any rogues I've played.

Back in the day I used to enjoy reading through those posts on the forums from high leveled rogues that would just clean out entire rooms.

I think adding the flag for no pick pockets is excessive. With all the limitations of the skill in place already, the flag would be overkill. Don't sit around with coins in your pockets and keep your containers closed - no need to worry about getting your stuff taken. If you're too fucking stupid and lazy to do this, then it's your own fault.

You're right that it means nothing about your character, but it suggests that in a game with potentially hundreds of characters with pickpocket training logging in daily, an exceedingly small number of them actually do it. It also suggests that the grand pronouncements of GS' viability and supposed sense of immersion hinging on that particular skill is bunk.

How many times would you say you usually use the skill per day, anyway?
    I only defended my circumstance because I was specifically called out.

It takes some pretty heavy logistical maneuvering to try and twist that statistic to try and say that a flag is a good thing, when what that statistic is ACTUALLY for reals showing, is that there isn't actually a problem that needs to be fixed.

If I presented ANY other grievance I could possibly have, that the statistics proved is NOT a real problem, then 100 times out of 100 I would be told it's not worth the dev time to fix something that is a non-issue.

This is mostly an ideological agenda and isn't actually fixing a problem.
    Last edited by Mobius1; 06-30-2022 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Donquix View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Methais View Post
    Donquix just makes things up and then decides it happened.
    It's ok. I killed the bloodspeaker while you were rageposting. He can't hurt you anymore.
    See what I mean?

When did you become bipolar anyway? Fucking idiot.
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius1 View Post
    It takes some pretty heavy logistical maneuvering to try and twist that statistic to try and say that a flag is a good thing, when what that statistic is ACTUALLY for reals showing, is that there isn't actually a problem that needs to be fixed.

If I presented ANY other grievance I could possibly have, that the statistics proved is NOT a real problem, then 100 times out of 100 I would be told it's not worth the dev time to fix something that is a non-issue.
    It is a real problem because people have said they don't like the way the system operates. Victims only know about pickpocketing on a failure, there is nothing to compensate them if they do catch the thief, and no real onus on the thief to roleplay in the first place. Some even use it to bully or harass. Maybe you're the exception. Maybe when you log in, people say 'Ooooh Midgar's here! Steal from me, Midgar!' At least with a flag people can opt out if they want. Player choice, right? Or is it only a good thing when you're the one making the choices?

This is mostly a political agenda and isn't actually fixing a problem.
    lmao, sure
    Last edited by Taernath; 06-29-2022 at 11:27 AM.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Naijin on Discord:

The average attempts per day since 2004 is 67. It's not a lull due to events, it's a lull due to pickpocketing being terrible.
    I have never seen the daily attempts be more than a dozen or so since I've been on staff. It's a dead skill that needs new life.
    Someone accused him of being misleading by only going back 2 months for his 2 attempts per day average, so he posted the above two. I don't understand how if you view a skill is dead your solution is to kill it off with a flag.

The idea of stealing from critters and NPCs is nice, but ultimately those seem kind of lame because what are you even supposed to do with the items you steal? You can't sell them to the pawnshop and they are playerbound, so I guess you can maybe steal some gems if you have a gem bounty and sell those to the gemshop? Stealing silvers from NPCs also counts towards your monthly loot cap so I don't know. This is all just a mess.

It is a real problem because people have said they don't like the way the system operates. Victims only know about pickpocketing on a failure, there is nothing to compensate them if they do catch the thief, and no real onus on the thief to roleplay in the first place. Some even use it to bully or harass. Maybe you're the exception. Maybe when you log in, people say 'Ooooh Midgar's here! Steal from me, Midgar!' At least with a flag people can opt out if they want. Player choice, right? Or is it only a good thing when you're the one making the choices?
    According to factual data this is simply not happening. This is fixing a made up issue.

Of course, I could dispute what you are trying to say as well, in the general sense. But I mostly already did in my earlier post (the long one.).

There are LITERALLY already IN CHARACTER methods to stop theft dead in its tracks, and more. Nothing more is needed, as the statistics quite obviously prove. The "fix" for this fake issue, is not to add some unexplainable OOC flag to the game. Closing bags and going to sancts WAS the flag they had implemented, that again, is an IN CHARACTER method and is able to be explained BY OUR CHARACTERS in a logical RP fashion. The people that implemented that system were wise and understood the need to have a logical and explainable system for our characters to be able to work with.

You absolutely do not need this flag system in any way whatsoever as you already were given all the tools you need and more to defend against it. And the statistics prove it. This is quite literally a non-issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    but ultimately those seem kind of lame because what are you even supposed to do with the items you steal?
    I think it's probably targeted at alchemists who have to rely on the second hand tables for the rarer ingredients.