Thread: Nonhuman Rights

Thumbs up Nonhuman Rights

I'm afraid we haven't heard the last of calls for animals to have human rights.

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — Happy the elephant may be intelligent and deserving of compassion, but she cannot be considered a person being illegally confined to the Bronx Zoo, New York’s top court ruled Tuesday.

The 5-2 decision by the state Court of Appeals comes in a closely watched case that tested the boundaries of applying human rights to animals.

More...

If Happy was considered to be a person, she would vote Republican since elephants are the symbol of the Republican party.
    There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.

Shut the fuck up ClydeREEEEEEEEEE
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

Blog Entries

I'm curious what the 2 Judges who voted against thought should happen to the animal.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    I'm curious what the 2 Judges who voted against thought should happen to the animal.
    Easy, that the Elephant identified as human. Sex and race undetermined until they go through CRT and conversion therapy.
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/
    Click the link above to see how much you owe the government.

"Well I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black."
    -Superracist, Joe Biden

“If you don’t believe in free speech for people who you disagree with, and even hate for what they stand for, then you don’t believe in free speech.”
    -My favorite liberal

5. Default

Oh, and I heard on Tucker that Elephants are replacing humans now.
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/
    Click the link above to see how much you owe the government.

"Well I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black."
    -Superracist, Joe Biden

“If you don’t believe in free speech for people who you disagree with, and even hate for what they stand for, then you don’t believe in free speech.”
    -My favorite liberal

Reminds me of PETA celebrating because they got some company to stop buying coconut water from a company who supposedly uses "monkey slave labor."
    Last edited by Tgo01; 06-14-2022 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    Good question. Here it is. 109 pages.

https://www.nycourts.gov/ctapps/Deci...2-Decision.pdf

The judges in the majority used 17 of those 109 pages to explain their decision. The rest was the dissenting judges. I have no idea what their legal position is, because I don't want to read that much. The story of Ota Benga on the first two pages of the dissent was interesting. I was not aware of that history. Ota Benga was a pygmy held in the monkey house of the same zoo more than 100 years ago on the grounds that he was not a person. He eventually killed himself. The zoo publicly apologized for its treatment of Ota Benga while this elephant case was pending in court.