Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Understanding crits to up your ambush game.

1. Default

Why no discussion about the estoc?
    Your mind is completely fucked. It is imperative that you unfuck immediately!

Reading up on this post with a cup o Joe and a bagel. You're fast becoming my favourite poster with all this rogue insight. Thanks Mobius

I have a small question or two. When I ambush with a longsword in my right hand and a dagger in my left my RT is one second higher than if they're swapped. Probably my stats right?

Strength (STR): 106 (28) ... 120 (35)
    Constitution (CON): 100 (25) ... 100 (25)
    Dexterity (DEX): 101 (30) ... 113 (36)

Lastly, Whirling Dervish sounds attractive. I am TWC so would the benifits be passive in my case or would I have to use the mnemonic? If it is passive that would automatically use up some stamina so I'm guessing I'd have to use the command 'Cman Dervish' when I want to use it.
    Last edited by Asha; 06-05-2022 at 02:56 AM. Reason: edited to add italics for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by gilchristr View Post
    Actually, the Estoc is one I forgot. Because it's 66% puncture 33% slash, it's good for a 5 second ambush weapon too.

Quote Originally Posted by Drayal View Post
    I have a small question or two. When I ambush with a longsword in my right hand and a dagger in my left my RT is one second higher than if they're swapped. Probably my stats right?

Strength (STR): 106 (28) ... 120 (35)
    Constitution (CON): 100 (25) ... 100 (25)
    Dexterity (DEX): 101 (30) ... 113 (36)

Lastly, Whirling Dervish sounds attractive. I am TWC so would the benifits be passive in my case or would I have to use the mnemonic? If it is passive that would automatically use up some stamina so I'm guessing I'd have to use the command 'Cman Dervish' when I want to use it.
    You should generally be seeing an increase in RT if you swing with a slower weapon in your left-hand. Or at least equal RT at worst. I am not certain how the equation actually works.

I know there have been some funky RT bugs since Divergence 2.0 (outside of divergence). Playing around on test server might help figure that out.

Basically, the way that I understand TWC RT to work, is you take the base RT of your weapon and add X-2, where X = your off-hand base speed. Then you add 3 more if it is aimed. So say you are swinging two handaxes, that is 5 for mainhand, 3 for off hand, and 3 for aim, or 11 RT total. BUT, you can get it as far down as the minimum RT of your main hand and +1 from aim, with enough AGI+DEX. You could aim both of them as low as 6 RT (This would take enhancives and/or ascension).

So basically, with enough Agi+Dex, you can swing as fast as you can swing a single weapon (Except 3/4 RT weapons, like Katars, which for some reason I can't explain, add 1 extra RT in your offhand no matter how high you go with agidex.). But this is not the case generally, if your left hand is slower. What's going on in your case? I want to say it's a bug? But there could be more going on than I understand.

I'm also going to edit the original post to explain what I just did here, with the RT, since I don't think I explained it quite so well.

Oh, and as for Dervish, it's a martial stance, so it just does it automatically when you have it running.
    Last edited by Mobius1; 09-28-2022 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gilchristr View Post
    When I first created my rogue back before the turn of the century I fancied him the swashbuckling type and hunted with an rapier and main gauche until I realized how much better the estoc was and switched it out for the rapier, but it is tough when you are young, so I went to handaxe and shield for a long time.

I went ahead and added this guide to my guild website. https://roguemidgar.weebly.com/understanding-crits.html