Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Understanding crits to up your ambush game.

1. Default

Why no discussion about the estoc?
    I accepted free spells during an "automated third party promotion" from "the responsible party," but I only did it once, and I didn't hunt until after they wore off

Reading up on this post with a cup o Joe and a bagel. You're fast becoming my favourite poster with all this rogue insight. Thanks Mobius

I have a small question or two. When I ambush with a longsword in my right hand and a dagger in my left my RT is one second higher than if they're swapped. Probably my stats right?

Strength (STR): 106 (28) ... 120 (35)
    Constitution (CON): 100 (25) ... 100 (25)
    Dexterity (DEX): 101 (30) ... 113 (36)

Lastly, Whirling Dervish sounds attractive. I am TWC so would the benifits be passive in my case or would I have to use the mnemonic? If it is passive that would automatically use up some stamina so I'm guessing I'd have to use the command 'Cman Dervish' when I want to use it.
    Last edited by Drayal; 06-05-2022 at 02:56 AM. Reason: edited to add italics for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by gilchristr View Post
    Actually, the Estoc is one I forgot. Because it's 66% puncture 33% slash, it's good for a 5 second ambush weapon too.

Quote Originally Posted by Drayal View Post
    I have a small question or two. When I ambush with a longsword in my right hand and a dagger in my left my RT is one second higher than if they're swapped. Probably my stats right?

Strength (STR): 106 (28) ... 120 (35)
    Constitution (CON): 100 (25) ... 100 (25)
    Dexterity (DEX): 101 (30) ... 113 (36)

Lastly, Whirling Dervish sounds attractive. I am TWC so would the benifits be passive in my case or would I have to use the mnemonic? If it is passive that would automatically use up some stamina so I'm guessing I'd have to use the command 'Cman Dervish' when I want to use it.
    You should generally be seeing an increase in RT if you swing with a slower weapon in your left-hand. Or at least equal RT at worst. I am not certain how the equation actually works.

I know there have been some funky RT bugs since Divergence 2.0 (outside of divergence). Playing around on test server might help figure that out.

Basically, the way that I understand TWC RT to work, is you take the base RT of your weapon and add X-2, where X = your off-hand base speed. Then you add 3 more if it is aimed. So say you are swinging two handaxes, that is 5 for mainhand, 3 for off hand, and 3 for aim, or 11 RT total. BUT, you can get it as far down as the minimum RT of your main hand and +1 from aim, with enough AGI+DEX. You could aim both of them as low as 6 RT (This would take enhancives and/or ascension).

So basically, with enough Agi+Dex, you can swing as fast as you can swing a single weapon. But this is not the case generally, if your left hand is slower. What's going on in your case? I want to say it's a bug? But there could be more going on than I understand.

I'm also going to edit the original post to explain what I just did here, with the RT, since I don't think I explained it quite so well.

Oh, and as for Dervish, it's a martial stance, so it just does it automatically when you have it running.

Quote Originally Posted by gilchristr View Post
    When I first created my rogue back before the turn of the century I fancied him the swashbuckling type and hunted with an rapier and main gauche until I realized how much better the estoc was and switched it out for the rapier, but it is tough when you are young, so I went to handaxe and shield for a long time.