Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: 14 Mass Shootings in the USA Over Memorial Day Weekend

Quote Originally Posted by SHAFT View Post
    If you're not willing to change the current system you're endorsing the current system. The current system allows for mass murder by AR15 at a moments notice.

So yeah, if Republicans refuse to pass laws attempting to curb gun deaths, they're endorsing gun deaths.

May be tough to hear but its 100% true.
    You might want to read this and this.

Blog Entries

If you're not willing to change the current system you're endorsing the current system. The current system allows for mass murder by AR15 at a moments notice.

So yeah, if Republicans refuse to pass laws attempting to curb gun deaths, they're endorsing gun deaths.

I personally blame sporks for Americas weight problem.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. ~ Marcus Aurelius
    “It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“The urge to shout filthy words at the top of his voice was as strong as ever.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

It might be worth expanding on that last post.

You make the assumption more gun laws would reduce gun deaths. I disagree with this, but admit it is difficult to empirically test (More on this later). There are problems in the possible observational studies that use different countries, look between different regions of the US, or within the same region at different time points. I find some of the comparisons more compelling than others, but they also tend to support my general views so I am likely being effected at least in part by my own bias. Never the less, because you are assuming this premise without a constant theory that deals with the counter examples, you introduce flaws into your arguments.

You also falsely assume people not agreeing with your proposed changes are pro-current laws. People may be in support of different laws, the removal of current laws, or changes to those laws. Gun laws are changing all the time, they are just generally going in the direction you do not support. Moreover, murder and violent crime rates have been decreasing over the last 20 years which coincided with the massive liberalization of firearms laws in the US. This is the opposite of what your logic would predict. Of course there are other factors besides gun laws in the murder rate, but that only points towards the absurdity of accusing those who don't agree with your proposed laws as being against the goal. I am quite sure I have heard many a republican opine in the last week about the need for other solutions they consider to be more appropriate to the problem.

You also draw a false equivalence that the republican position is an endorsement of gun deaths. This is no different than someone arguing that opposing a 5mph speed limit and stopping for 30 seconds at every stop light is endorsing 50,000 car deaths per year. While such laws would reduce the number of people killed by cars, people can oppose those laws for reasons totally unrelated to the number of car related fatalities.

While I support your desire to reduce these horrible incidents, you should understand that making fallacious arguments and accusing half the people of being pro-child murder is not going to sway very many people to your side, you lose out on both the logical and the emotional reactions that way.
    Last edited by Menos; 06-04-2022 at 02:53 PM.

Shaft despite any political differences we may have, I enjoy chatting with you on the PC and playing GSIV together back in the day.

I enjoy my firearms including AR-15s. I’m as responsible and law abiding as they come, and there are many more like me. Everyone is upset with Uvalde and wants to stop such senseless acts of violence. The answer, however, is not restricting the freedoms of good natured normal people. I too want to keep them out of the hands of sick minded effs like that shooter and the rest, but I will not trade tyranny in the name of security. Also gun control like “assault weapons ban” doesn’t stop these things. Let’s find a way together to get good legislation to protect our citizens without trampling on their rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressed Poet View Post
    Shaft despite any political differences we may have, I enjoy chatting with you on the PC and playing GSIV together back in the day.

I enjoy my firearms including AR-15s. I’m as responsible and law abiding as they come, and there are many more like me. Everyone is upset with Uvalde and wants to stop such senseless acts of violence. The answer, however, is not restricting the freedoms of good natured normal people. I too want to keep them out of the hands of sick minded effs like that shooter and the rest, but I will not trade tyranny in the name of security. Also gun control like “assault weapons ban” doesn’t stop these things. Let’s find a way together to get good legislation to protect our citizens without trampling on their rights.
    Banning AR15’s and other similar rifles absolutely save lives. Give the uvalde shooter only a Glock instead of an AR15 and not as many people die.

Restrict the ability to get guns that quickly and you’ll absolutely save lives.

Reducing gun deaths to zero with one or two laws is impossible. Reducing the number killed in these moss shootings is achievable, however. Gotta start somewhere, though. To throw our hands up and shrug, which is what conservatives tend to do, is the definition of insanity.

Also, when police show up to a shooting and they’re outgunned because the shooter has an AR15 and cops only have pistols or shotguns, that’s an issue. The Uvalde cops were terrified. Prime reason to ban AR15’s.

Do a buyback on AR15’s for 1.5x cash or you can donate to your local police department. Give people a period of 3 months to get rid of their AR15 or it’s 20 years in prison if caught with one.

Banning AR15’s and other similar rifles absolutely save lives. Give the uvalde shooter only a Glock instead of an AR15 and not as many people die.

Reducing gun deaths to zero with one or two laws is impossible. Reducing the number killed in these moss shootings is achievable, however. Gotta start somewhere, though. To throw our hands up and shrug, which is what conservatives tend to do, is the definition of insanity.
    No.

And yet, we factually KNOW what works but you and others won't do that part over the theory that a ban will work.
    I asked for neither your Opinion,
    your Acceptance
    nor your Permission.

"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." Dante Alighieri 3
    "It took 2000 mules to install one Jackass." Diamond and Silk Watch the Movie

A sick minded man hell bent on killing little children won’t be stopped by AR-15s bans or whatever you are suggesting in that regard. We need to address the problem of people and not the symptom of guns. I am not your enemy and implore you not to make me one. Don’t make 100+ Americans into criminals simply due to the firearms they own. We are your brothers and sisters.

Our focus should be to keep sick people like the Uvalde shooter away from our schools / children and do everything to protect innocent lives *without* trampling on constitutional rights.
    Last edited by Suppressed Poet; 06-04-2022 at 03:34 PM.

A sick minded man hell bent on killing little children won’t be stopped by AR-15s bans or whatever you are suggesting in that regard. We need to address the problem of people and not the symptom of guns. I am not your enemy and implore you not to make me one. Don’t make 100+ Americans into criminals simply due to the firearms they own. We are your brothers and sisters.

Our focus should be to keep sick people like the Uvalde shooter away from our schools / children and do everything to protect innocent lives *without* trampling on constitutional rights.
    If banning AR15’s would drop the number of gun deaths in the US by 25%, would you be willing to give up your AR15?

If banning AR15’s would drop the number of gun deaths in the US by 25%, would you be willing to give up your AR15?