Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: 14 Mass Shootings in the USA Over Memorial Day Weekend

Quote Originally Posted by SHAFT View Post
    Banning AR15’s and other similar rifles absolutely save lives. Give the uvalde shooter only a Glock instead of an AR15 and not as many people die.
    The shooting at Virginia Tech involved a glock and a .22 pistol, 32 people killed. Police arrived in 3 minutes and reached the room he was in within 5 more minutes. In Uvalde the police arrived in 5 minutes and did not confront the shooter for an additional 75 more minutes, 21 innocent people were killed. Explain how this conforms to your supposition. The VT shooter had less time, the "less deadly" weapons and was confronting adults who are more capable of defending themselves or running than children. Even the most reductive argument of ".223 does more damage to the body than 9mm" is rendered meaningless when offices wait over an hour to confront the shooter. If anything the "do nothing" suggestions of conservatives relating to mental health laws and police response are vastly more appropriate in this particular incident than your suggestions.

Maybe you do not intend to argue one incident, but in general. So, now explain how the Nice truck attack and Japanese animation studio attack I linked earlier were both more deadly without any firearms. It's almost as if people can do evil things and restricting one tool only results in them doing something else evil.

Reducing gun deaths to zero with one or two laws is impossible. Reducing the number killed in these moss shootings is achievable, however. Gotta start somewhere, though. To throw our hands up and shrug, which is what conservatives tend to do, is the definition of insanity.
    And the firearms laws of Brazil and Mexico have succeeded in the same way you say these new American laws would?
    Last edited by Menos; 06-04-2022 at 03:55 PM.

If banning AR15’s would drop the number of gun deaths in the US by 25%, would you be willing to give up your AR15?
    I also find it interesting that you phrase it as gun deaths. Why not murders, since your arguments are that fewer people would be killed, shouldn't you frame your arguments and data in total murders? I assume you consider it just as bad if they die by non-firearms related means.

Also, if limiting all roadways to 5 mph would reduce car deaths by 25%, would you support such a law and say all opposed are promoting vehicular deaths?

Quote Originally Posted by Menos View Post
    Also, if limiting all roadways to 5 mph would reduce car deaths by 25%, would you support such a law and say all opposed are promoting vehicular deaths?
    Of course not, that would actually inconvenience him. He's all about helping people as long as it doesn't affect his life too much.

If banning AR15’s would drop the number of gun deaths in the US by 25%, would you be willing to give up your AR15?
    There is absolutely no way that me and people like me giving up AR-15s would lower gun deaths by 25%. That being said, my answer is that no I would not be willing to do that.

If martial law was called upon and you were ordered by the federal government to remain in your home until they said otherwise, and in doing so it would reduce Covid 19 deaths in this country by 25%…would you be willing to do that?

Seeing as I am a pretty conservative fellow, Maybe I should consider what I can do to reduce deaths in the event of a terroristic attack. I carry a gun where I am able and go to the range once a month to practice with it. Most such attacks end when another person with a gun shows up. That is sometimes a passer-by, as happened only days after the Uvalde shooting. But, lets set aside that possibility for now.

This is the bag I carry every day. See the little red thing on the side? That's a trauma kit designed to stop bleeding until help can arrive. Gone through the Red Cross first aid/CPR and Stop the Bleed courses to be sure I know how to do so effectively.

IMG_20220604_160940608_HDR.jpg

Here is the larger version of the bag that goes in my car. Vehicular accidents are way higher on my likely encounters than mass shooter or other terrorist events. I am most likely to see one when driving; thus the car kit. I also keep one on my range bag, but that is less of an issue since they installed wall mounted ones behind each firing lane.

IMG_20220604_160959132.jpg

What are you doing, besides calling people enablers of murder because they have different political views?

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressed Poet View Post
    There is absolutely no way that me and people like me giving up AR-15s would lower gun deaths by 25%. That being said, my answer is that no I would not be willing to do that.

If martial law was called upon and you were ordered by the federal government to remain in your home until they said otherwise, and in doing so it would reduce Covid 19 deaths in this country by 25%…would you be willing to do that?
    The entire world stayed indoors for 2.5 years. Everything was closed, remember? So yeah, staying in was pretty easy.

I don’t own a gun because I have no need for one. Zero interest in a gun. I like the fact I have the right to have one and I appreciate that, but AR15’s shouldn’t be in the hands of regular citizens. Anyone who believes they need an AR15 or it’s necessary for whatever the fuck is the delusional.

Also, the 2nd amendment needs to be amended. Nothing well regulated about the current situation.

Seeing as I am a pretty conservative fellow, Maybe I should consider what I can do to reduce deaths in the event of a terroristic attack. I carry a gun where I am able and go to the range once a month to practice with it. Most such attacks end when another person with a gun shows up. That is sometimes a passer-by, as happened only days after the Uvalde shooting. But, lets set aside that possibility for now.

This is the bag I carry every day. See the little red thing on the side? That's a trauma kit designed to stop bleeding until help can arrive. Gone through the Red Cross first aid/CPR and Stop the Bleed courses to be sure I know how to do so effectively.

IMG_20220604_160940608_HDR.jpg

Here is the larger version of the bag that goes in my car. Vehicular accidents are way higher on my likely encounters than mass shooter or other terrorist events. I am most likely to see one when driving; thus the car kit. I also keep one on my range bag, but that is less of an issue since they installed wall mounted ones behind each firing lane.

IMG_20220604_160959132.jpg

What are you doing, besides calling people enablers of murder because they have different political views?
    I’m not worried about you shooting up a school with my kid in it. I’m worried about a mentally unstable individual walking into gun store, buying an AR15, 1600+ rounds of ammo and that day shooting up my kids school.

What am I doing? Voting for politicians willing to change the current laws.

The entire world stayed indoors for 2.5 years. Everything was closed, remember? So yeah, staying in was pretty easy.

I don’t own a gun because I have no need for one. Zero interest in a gun. I like the fact I have the right to have one and I appreciate that, but AR15’s shouldn’t be in the hands of regular citizens. Anyone who believes they need an AR15 or it’s necessary for whatever the fuck is the delusional.

Also, the 2nd amendment needs to be amended. Nothing well regulated about the current situation.
    Well said.

Blog Entries

What about the AR-15 gives you this irrational fear, be specific?

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. ~ Marcus Aurelius
    “It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“The urge to shout filthy words at the top of his voice was as strong as ever.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

The shooting at Virginia Tech involved a glock and a .22 pistol, 32 people killed. Police arrived in 3 minutes and reached the room he was in within 5 more minutes. In Uvalde the police arrived in 5 minutes and did not confront the shooter for an additional 75 more minutes, 21 innocent people were killed. Explain how this conforms to your supposition. The VT shooter had less time, the "less deadly" weapons and was confronting adults who are more capable of defending themselves or running than children. Even the most reductive argument of ".223 does more damage to the body than 9mm" is rendered meaningless when offices wait over an hour to confront the shooter. If anything the "do nothing" suggestions of conservatives relating to mental health laws and police response are vastly more appropriate in this particular incident than your suggestions.

Maybe you do not intend to argue one incident, but in general. So, now explain how the Nice truck attack and Japanese animation studio attack I linked earlier were both more deadly without any firearms. It's almost as if people can do evil things and restricting one tool only results in them doing something else evil.

And the firearms laws of Brazil and Mexico have succeeded in the same way you say these new American laws would?
    "You can't ban AR-15 again, because these other semi automatics are just as deadly in certain circumstances." This is a very flimsy argument