Thread: Squelch script help for MA spammer

Default Squelch script help for MA spammer

There's a guy in HW who does his MA spam in the main room, really kinda disrupts my ability to chat and such while resting. I've been trying to get the lich sqelch script to work but it's not catching the guy's spam. Have the names listed with no spaces in the blocks, and I'm running the script actively. Any other ideas?
    Discord: Jivan#1805

A squelch script is pretty easy to make.

Code:
    squelch_list = /EXAMPLE 1 HERE|EXAMPLE 2 HERE|EXAMPLE 3 HERE/

silence = proc {
    	action = proc { |server_string|
    		if server_string.strip.length == 0
    			nil
    		else
    			new_string = strip_xml(server_string)
    			if new_string =~ squelch_list
    				nil
    			else
    				server_string
    			end
    		end
    	}
    	DownstreamHook.add("#{script.name}_silence", action)
    }

before_dying{ DownstreamHook.remove("#{script.name}_silence") }

silence.call

sleep
    Then just fill in the game lines you don't want to see where all of those EXAMPLEs are. Separate each game line with the pipe symbol |

When you want to stop squelching those game lines just stop the script.

For example:

squelch_list = /Bob traces a sign while petitioning the spirits for cognition...|Bob gestures.|A dim aura surrounds Bob./

If you want to ignore several people with these lines do something like:

squelch_list = /(Bob|Jim|Jane) traces a sign while petitioning the spirits for cognition...|(Bob|Jim|Jane) gestures.|A dim aura surrounds (Bob|Jim|Jane)./

If you want to ignore EVERYONE for those game lines, do this:

squelch_list = /[a-zA-Z]+ traces a sign while petitioning the spirits for cognition...|[a-zA-Z]+ gestures.|A dim aura surrounds [a-zA-Z]+./

Quote Originally Posted by BLZrizz View Post
    There's a guy in HW who does his MA spam in the main room, really kinda disrupts my ability to chat and such while resting. I've been trying to get the lich sqelch script to work but it's not catching the guy's spam. Have the names listed with no spaces in the blocks, and I'm running the script actively. Any other ideas?
    Just out of curiosity, are you referring to my crew (Maodan, et al)? If so, it'd be helpful to know what in particular you find disruptive - I've deliberately tried to minimize the noise I generate because I don't want to be a bother (normally I can park at a table). I know there was a particularly loud day when I was testing my ;severance script to drop off extra invoker spells - but I don't think I've run it in the tavern since.

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    Just out of curiosity, are you referring to my crew (Maodan, et al)? If so, it'd be helpful to know what in particular you find disruptive - I've deliberately tried to minimize the noise I generate because I don't want to be a bother (normally I can park at a table). I know there was a particularly loud day when I was testing my ;severance script to drop off extra invoker spells - but I don't think I've run it in the tavern since.
    Sorry, it wasn't my intent to start a feud or anything. There's a lot about the HW that brings me back to old Gemstone: individual hunters having random interactions, eating herbs, asking for healing, doing one on one manual rescues, etc. It brings me back to the heyday of Gemstone where my fondest memories lie. Even when I am AFK I am still at the monitor and just enjoy watching the interactions folks have. Then bam, 18 lines of MA spam of folks putting on their hunting gear, enhancives, pulling out weapons and such. Kinda snaps me back to everything about modern GS I hate.

It's weird I know. Just my thing that I was attempting to address on my end with the squelch.
    Last edited by BLZrizz; 05-23-2022 at 09:21 AM.
    Discord: Jivan#1805

Quote Originally Posted by BLZrizz View Post
    Sorry, it wasn't my intent to start a feud or anything. There's a lot about the HW that brings me back to old Gemstone: individual hunters having random interactions, eating herbs, asking for healing, doing one on one manual rescues, etc. It brings me back to the heyday of Gemstone where my fondest memories lie. Even when I am AFK I am still at the monitor and just enjoy watching the interactions folks have. Then bam, 18 lines of MA spam of folks putting on their hunting gear, enhancives, pulling out weapons and such. Kinda snaps me back to everything about modern GS I hate.

It's weird I know. Just my thing that I was attempting to address on my end with the squelch.
    No no, I didn't think you were trying to start anything. I genuinely want to minimize disruption, hence the question as to which particular interactions you found most offputting. You mentioned a few things, which is helpful. Also just know that I have no problem with you/anyone sending me a whisper/lnet chat to call something out.