Page 6 of 55 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Leaked Majority Opinion- SCOTUS seems on track to overrule Roe v Wade entirely

Quote Originally Posted by Parkbandit View Post
    LISTEN DAMMIT! THIS IS A VERY DARK AFTER DAY IF THIS RULING IS ALLOWED TO STAND! WE CAN'T USE FACTS OR LOGIC DICTATE WHAT WE DO NEXT, WE NEED TO BE OUTRAGED BECAUSE IF WE OVERTURN ROE V WADE THEN WOMEN WILL DIE, PEOPLE WILL GET POORER, THEY WILL TAKE AWAY THE 2ND AMENDMENT, AND ILL HAVE TO HOUSE WOMEN COMING FROM TEXAS WANTING TO MURDER THEIR BABIES AND WONT HAVE ENOUGH MONEY LEFT TO BUY BLUNTS!!!!!!
    Ftfy

I'm surprised Democrats haven't burnt down DC yet. Either they are waiting until the official decision to come down, or they way overplayed their hand in burning down cities over the past few years that they know people are tired of this shit and won't put up with it anymore.

3. Default

I don't know about the rest of you, but I always felt murdering babies is good for everyone. (heavy sarcasm)

Facts about Abortion:

1) Unsafe abortions are the third leading cause of maternal deaths in the world and results in another 5 million permanently disabled women every year (and A LOT more with permanent heath damage) Women are 13x more likely to die from unsafe abortions than they are from safe ones.

2) There are between 650k-850k abortions in the US every year. Is Roe is overturned a significant percentage of them will go from being safe abortions to unsafe abortions because...

3) Outlawing abortion doesn't reduce the number of abortions- it actually increases it. Legalizing abortion decreases the rate of abortion.

4)10 States in the US have abortion laws on the books without a rape or incest exception, and several states are trying to jam through new laws to outlaw abortion that also don't have a rape or incest exemption. Some states still have laws on the books that don't even allow for an exception if the woman's life is endangered.

Finally, Alito's first draft CLEARLY states that the Court believes a fetus should have personhood before viability. To be VERY clear here- it sets the stage to criminalize abortion across the US. As in, throwing women into jail for it. As in, women dying at home because they were too scared to go to the hospital.

But even if one takes the view that ‘personhood’ begins when a certain attribute or combination of attributes is acquired, it is very hard to see why viability should make the point where ‘personhood’ begin
    Just so people are aware of exactly where we're headed. THAT'S where we are headed right now. To join one of 25 countries in the world that criminalize abortion in all instances.
    Last edited by time4fun; 05-03-2022 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by beldannon5 View Post
    I don't know about the rest of you, but I always felt murdering babies is good for everyone. (heavy sarcasm)

I'm sorry- you seem to be assuming that outlawing abortion reduces abortion rates.

It absolutely, 100% does NOT. As in, there is zero evidence that outlawing abortion reduces abortion rates. It just increases maternal deaths, disablement, and long-term health damage.

You know what cuts down on abortion rates? Giving women free and easy access to birth control. It reduces abortion rates by 62-78%

So what's the purpose of outlawing abortion? And if the point is to reduce abortion rates, why are conservatives fighting against free and easy access to birth control?

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    Facts about Abortion:

1) Unsafe abortions are the third leading cause of maternal deaths in the world and results in another 5 million permanently disabled women every year (and A LOT more with permanent heath damage) Women are 13x more likely to die from unsafe abortions than they are from safe ones.

2) There are between 650k-850k abortions in the US every year. Is Roe is overturned a significant percentage of them will go from being safe abortions to unsafe abortions because...

3) Outlawing abortion doesn't reduce the number of abortions- it actually increases it. Legalizing abortion decreases the rate of abortion.

4)10 States in the US have abortion laws on the books without a rape or incest exception, and several states are trying to jam through new laws to outlaw abortion that also don't have a rape or incest exemption. Some states still have laws on the books that don't even allow for an exception if the woman's life is endangered.

Finally, Alito's first draft CLEARLY states that the Court believes a fetus should have personhood before viability. To be VERY clear here- it sets the stage to criminalize abortion across the US. As in, throwing women into jail for it. As in, women dying at home because they were too scared to go to the hospital.

Just so people are aware of exactly where we're headed. THAT'S where we are headed right now. To join one of 25 countries in the world that criminalize abortion in all instances.
    I'm not going to address your non sequitur statistics. I'll focus on your "setting the stage" point.

"One may disagree with this belief [that abortion kills a human being] (and our decision is not based on any view about when a State should regard pre-natal life as having rights or legally cognizable interests)"...Draft opinion page 29

"Our Nation's historical understanding of ordered liberty does not prevent the people's elected representatives from deciding how abortion should be regulated"...Draft opinion page 31

I know you're prone to being hysterical but if you're arguing that SCOTUS is setting the stage for making abortion illegal nationwide, then they are doing a terrible job of it. They say precisely the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by C.Difficile View Post
    I'm not going to address your non sequitur statistics. I'll focus on your "setting the stage" point.

"One may disagree with this belief [that abortion kills a human being] (and our decision is not based on any view about when a State should regard pre-natal life as having rights or legally cognizable interests)"...Draft opinion page 29

"Our Nation's historical understanding of ordered liberty does not prevent the people's elected representatives from deciding how abortion should be regulated"...Draft opinion page 31

I know you're prone to being hysterical but if you're arguing that SCOTUS is setting the stage for making abortion illegal nationwide, then they are doing a terrible job of it. They say precisely the opposite.
    First off, it's counterevidence not non sequitur. I get you know the phrase, but it's clear you don't know what it means.

Secondly, it's not especially clear to me why you cited those parts of the decision. Yes, that part of the decision is saying that states have the right to regulate *abortion*. I never said that this decision immediately makes abortion illegal across the country. I said it *sets the stage*.

The decision clearly states that the Court is skeptical that a fetus shouldn't have personhood and legal protections as a person until viability. That wasn't a direct issue in this case, so the Court can't make a ruling on it. Alito is actively inviting a new round of court cases to put that question directly in front of the Court. And he's made it very clear in this draft, that the Court would rule that a fetus immediately has personhood.

That would mean terminating a fetus would instantly become murder. That effectively criminalizes abortion. This is a legal strategy that anti-abortion activists have been perusing for years now as a way to ban abortion everywhere in the US. So this isn't coming out of nowhere.

You have no idea how damaging this decision, as it stands in this draft, is.
    Last edited by time4fun; 05-03-2022 at 09:07 PM.

Maybe we should stop telling women they are carrying a virus in their body and should stop dehumanizing the life of a fetus, and instead help women through their pregnancy and help the baby after it is born find a new home if the mother and father don't want to take care of the baby? Or is that just crazy?

Why is it so crazy to people like you that maybe...JUST MAYBE...many women who would have normally had an abortion might just now go through with the pregnancy?

LOL! Right. Right. Just like it's more expensive to execute someone than to keep them locked up in prison for life, or owning a gun is more dangerous than not owning a gun, or everyone needs to be doubled masked in order to prevent the spread of a highly contagious virus even though there is little data that masks did anything at all right?

Ever notice whenever Democrats push something really hard they seemingly just make something up, in many cases claiming if Republicans just went along with their bullshit that it would result in exactly what Republicans want anyways? Almost as if Democrats just pull shit directly out of their ass and call it science.
    Last edited by Tgo01; 05-03-2022 at 09:31 PM.

Hey.. something I agree with President Biden on....

https://news.yahoo.com/flashback-bid...223723012.html

"Biden backed amendment to overturn Roe v. Wade as a senator"

"In 1982, he signed a proposed amendment by Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, that sought to reverse Roe v. Wade.

"A right to abortion is not secured by this Constitution," read the Human Life Federalism Amendment. "The Congress and several States shall have the concurrent power to restrict and prohibit abortions: Provided, That a law of a State which is more restrictive than a law of Congress shall govern."

Good work Mr. President.

Weird how the Dems are going against their own President. Insane, one might say.
    Last edited by Shaps; 05-03-2022 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orthin View Post
    Depending on the other state's laws too, couldn't someone just have the procedure in that state if that state allows it too?
    Not if your backwards fucking state allows you to be sued or incarcerated as a result of getting an abortion across state lines. Texas.