Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Gemstone players will drop by half | no more f2ps?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Methais View Post
    I think the most advertising that's ever been done for GS was when a bunch of players pooled money together to pay for celebrity tweets.

Don't remember if it accomplished anything, but that's still sad when the playerbase does more advertising for a game than the company itself.
    I remember Geordi LaForge was all like NO!

I started to buy adspace on FB for it once, but it was already registered. Like they started to do it, but then just didn't.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

2. Default

Let's be honest. Wyrom & simu staff are the bottleneck.

Anyone working in TI knows that ALL departments are what their Director is. And VPs will follow blindly what their Directors will tell em in their onepager PDF.

The fact they did nothing to grow the game and excuse themselves 100% of the time with the fact they have no grip on their volonteers is only matched with that stupid excuse of some fart sniffers " but it's a 30 years old game, it's a miracle it's still running ".

The only possible explanation why the game doesn't grow is corruption. They (High-end staff) got their hands SO MUCH into the candy jars with their taxless bonus and ad hoc "sales" here and there that they don't wanna attention.
    Last edited by Xcalibur1; 02-22-2022 at 12:46 PM.

I could have sworn you stopped playing Gemstone, don't you have a life or whatever? You are coming off as awful damned pathetic man.
    Khaladon starts to turn the crystal knob, but stops with a frightened look on his face. He begins shaking uncontrollably and flies across the room, as though by some invisible force.

**SPLAT!!** Khaladon careens off the far wall, slides down the smooth wood panelling and collapses into a quivering heap on the floor, with only his dignity bruised.

Quote Originally Posted by BLZrizz View Post
    It will be demonstrably small for sure. The conversion rate for an average online game is like 2%. I'd assume GSIV would be like .05%. However, that number is not zero.

I don't understand how they were like: that Tolaria Academy video got us 6000 new FTP accounts and generated all sorts of interest in the game! But no we will not spend anything on ads to do the same thing.
    they definitely don't advertise nearly enough. but of those 6000 how people how many logged in were like "wtf is going on? how does this work?" and quit on the spot. Their retention is even lower than it should be because the new player experience is absolute trash. Making a real fleshed out starter area is a perfectly fine idea, taking 4 years to do it is the problem.
    Last edited by Donquix; 02-22-2022 at 01:46 PM.
    Mithrilschlong, 2015-03-10 to slightly later on 2015-03-10. You will not be forgotten!
    usable Meteor Swarm, late 2020-12-30 to early 2020-12-31. You will also not be forgotten!

Quote Originally Posted by Donquix View Post
    they definitely don't advertise nearly enough. but of those 6000 how people how many logged in were like "wtf is going on? how does this work?" and quit on the spot. Their retention is even lower than it should be because the new player experience is absolute trash. Making a real fleshed out starter area is a perfectly fine idea, taking 4 years to do it is the problem.
    That shit took 4 years?

I don't know why this surprises me.
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

Quote Originally Posted by Xcalibur1 View Post
    Let's be honest. Wyrom & simu staff are the bottleneck.

Anyone working in TI knows that ALL departments are what their Director is. And VPs will follow blindly what their Directors will tell em in their onepager PDF.

The fact they did nothing to grow the game and excuse themselves 100% of the time with the fact they have no grip on their volonteers is only matched with that stupid excuse of some fart sniffers " but it's a 30 years old game, it's a miracle it's still running ".

The only possible explanation why the game doesn't grow is corruption. They (High-end staff) got their hands SO MUCH into the candy jars with their taxless bonus and ad hoc "sales" here and there that they don't wanna attention.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xcalibur1 View Post
    Jesu Christo bro, take a breath or take a kayak, I don't know. There isn't many games like this one nowadays that has a big very religious loyalty to it and there's some common points between the players.

It's like in everything, you always give yourself enough reasons to continue an addiction.

I can judge a lot parkbandit but at the very least, he drew a line in the sand by stopping his playing but still posting. Baby steps approach and it works.

So about the "lecture" part man, lol, do what you want bro, don't take it that personnal.

For me: well, it's fun to troll a bit, I thought PC was just the continuation of LNET?
    Posting about GS is your new addiction.

Reported to Andraste.
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.

I doubt Wyrom is going to get much of an ad budget to try and revive a 40 yearold MUD. It is a question of ROI, and you don't have to be a genius to see the conversion funnel for Gemstone IV is awful. I doubt they can accurately calculate the current LTV of a customer, let alone how to hook a whale. I'd be surprised if they know how small the player base can get before the whales lose interest.

As a manager of product managers, I'd spend 30 seconds a month getting an update on the current and projected revenue, user base, and expenses. I'd then ignore Wyrom (Mario) and the game entirely because my time could be better spent on areas of growth. I'd decline any request for an ad budget and just run the game until its ROI drops below other opportunities. This is an end of life product that is still turning a good profit. That doesn't mean it has growth potential - you keep it around until you have a better opportunity to spend your resources.

I get that you love this game, but Stillfront sees this game as an investment. This isn't some grand conspiracy, this is a backwater game at a backwater company - you guys are the only ones that care.

Quote Originally Posted by Dud View Post
    That doesn't mean it has growth potential - you keep it around until you have a better opportunity to spend your resources.
    I agree with you on the ROI principle. But as the Tolaria Academy video suggested, the response to a simple social media marketing effort that cost nothing was pretty good. Our issue here is that they won't even try.
    Discord: Jivan#1805

Quote Originally Posted by Methais View Post
    That shit took 4 years?
    Considering if anything it should have been doing 15-20 years ago I would say it took them 15-20 years.

Really at this point in time a starting area is just a tad late to the party.

If Simu even just implemented their own version of ;go2 and ;narost it would probably do wonders for retaining any new people that might show up. Nobody's gonna join a new game and stick around after everyone's like OK NOW YOU NEED TO DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL LICH AND THEN RUN ALL OF THESE XYZABC123 SCRIPTS SO THAT THE GAME WILL BE PLAYABLE!!!!!!!!!!!

Simu literally just expects the playerbase to do all the heavy lifting for them, and in return for the efforts, they nerf everything and shit down everyone's necks with overpriced trash and killing the actual in game economy.
    Last edited by Methais; 02-22-2022 at 02:38 PM.