Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump was going have the US Military seize voting machines across the country

Quote Originally Posted by Suppa Hobbit Mage View Post
    Because it didn't happen. He thought about it, and didn't do it. Stop making shit up to overreact about it. Overreact about shit that happened.
    No. A fully written Executive Order does not signal that he "thought about it". It tells you that he tried to do it, but fortunately there were still a few people around him who stopped him. A "mistake" that I have no doubt he'll "correct" if given another chance.

And that's the real story of the 2020 election. A sitting US President, his supporters, and his party tried in every way they could to end free and fair elections in this country in the name of "Election security". And the only reason why they didn't succeed is that- thankfully- we still had enough guardrails and good people in place to stop them. But barely.

And those people are getting ready to do it again this year, and a substantial percentage of our fellow Americans are all geared up to give them a real, fighting second chance with fewer guardrails in place and lots of lessons learned from the first time.

There's a reason why laws are being passed to give State Legislatures the power to remove nonpartisan election officials if they're not happy with the results of an election. There's a reason why OAN and Tucker Carlson are parading around Hungary's dictator Orban and telling you that we should be a lot more like them.

There's a reason why Trump is still running around intentionally spreading misinformation about our elections and why his party is so adamantly opposed to election reform.

Can we finally just be ready to acknowledge how far away from democracy we've gotten? Can we just be Americans and not Democrats and Republicans on this one subject?

I seriously doubt former President Trump personally drafted either of these documents mentioned in the news article. I would believe easily that various staffers working to provide him with all possible options did the draft editing. Even just reading the disparities in tone between the two documents suggests to me two completely different authors.Any sitting President needs all options on the table for crisis events. The fact that it was considered may seem outrageous to many. Me - I'd rather know that all options were considered in any given crisis, and the best options were chosen for action. Do not make the mistake of presuming that means I would support the draft Executive Order as written.

3. Default

He's gone for now. Get over it. Enjoy $4 dollar gas soon. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    I seriously doubt former President Trump personally drafted either of these documents mentioned in the news article. I would believe easily that various staffers working to provide him with all possible options did the draft editing. Even just reading the disparities in tone between the two documents suggests to me two completely different authors.Any sitting President needs all options on the table for crisis events. The fact that it was considered may seem outrageous to many. Me - I'd rather know that all options were considered in any given crisis, and the best options were chosen for action. Do not make the mistake of presuming that means I would support the draft Executive Order as written.
    I mean you're correct that Presidents never write their own EOs. They require sophisticated legal knowledge to author. Leaving aside the fact that this EO is completely in line with Trump's obsession with overturning the results of the election at all costs, what you're positing isn't remotely plausible.

The very notion that a staffer would just elect to draft an official order to have the US Military seize control of voting machines in areas where Trump lost the vote without getting Trump's buy-in is beyond absurd. We're talking about a military intervention into an American election because the sitting President wants a different outcome

Doing that on your own volition would get you fired on the spot or even potentially worse. These things are a matter of record, and prior to 2020 apparently, that's exactly the kind of thing that destroys an administration and potentially lands people in Court. You would NEVER risk having that on the Administration's record unless you knew the President wanted it to happen.

I'll also point out that this was widely reported on months ago. Trump himself lobbied for this idea, among other equally disturbing options, to help overturn the election. Gulliani even went to DHS to ask them to do it.

You actually think he would do something like that without authorization?

The fact that you're making excuses for this is concerning.
    Last edited by time4fun; 01-21-2022 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    I mean you're correct that Presidents never write their own EOs. They require sophisticated legal knowledge to author. Leaving aside the fact that this EO is completely in line with Trump's obsession with overturning the results of the election at all costs, what you're positing isn't remotely plausible.

The very notion that a staffer would just elect to draft an official order to have the US Military seize control of voting machines in areas where Trump lost the vote without getting Trump's buy-in is beyond absurd. We're talking about a military intervention into an American election because the sitting President wants a different outcome

Doing that on your own volition would get you fired on the spot or even potentially worse. These things are a matter of record, and prior to 2020 apparently, that's exactly the kind of thing that destroys an administration and potentially lands people in Court. You would NEVER risk having that on the Administration's record unless you knew the President wanted it to happen.

I'll also point out that this was widely reported on months ago. Trump himself lobbied for this idea, among other equally disturbing options, to help overturn the election. Gulliani even went to DHS to ask them to do it.

You actually think he would do something like that without authorization?

The fact that you're making excuses for this is concerning.
    It sure is nice to see someone posting things that make sense once in a while! To answer your earlier question, no I don't think the folks in here can just be Americans.

They've tried to paint me as a Democrat ever since I started posting in their little circlejerk, and I've been criticizing Biden and the centrist Democratic party the whole time. They don't know how to deal with that, so they just call me stupid or gay or some other playground insult like their role model Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    As an American, I never thought I would live to see the day where a sitting US President was ready to order the US Military to seize control of State voting machines after an election he lost, specifically in areas where he lost.

I also never thought I'd see the day where my fellow Americans would be so dismissive or even supportive of this.

Trying to force state elections officials to change their vote tallies, sending in slates of fake electors to replace real electors in an effort to rig the certification count, sending an angry- and armed- mob to attack Congress and his own VP at the US Capitol while the election he lost was being certified, sowing doubt about the validity of our democratic elections before, during, and after they happened, filing dozens of frivolous election lawsuits in states he lost, and lobbying members of Congress to try to stop the certification of a free and fair election...

That's not what freedom and democracy look like. That's not what free and fair elections look like. It's what authoritarianism and corruption look like.

Anyone who tries to tell you that having the military intervene in an election and seize voting equipment in areas where the sitting President lost the vote, is freedom and justice has no interest in either of those things.

They just want power.
    The fact that one of Trump's attorneys wrote this draft executive order should be terrifying to everyone. It also explains why Esper was fired as Secretary of Defense and that William Barr left as Attorney General immediately following the election, they refused to get involved with this coup.

Absolutely not surprising that the Conservatives of the group are downplaying this so fiercely. Why pay attention to a Republican president's attempted coup when they're still trying to investigate Hillary Clinton for Benghazi

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Donald Trump losing a free and fair election isn't a crisis event to anyone but Donald Trump.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    Donald Trump losing a free and fair election isn't a crisis event to anyone but Donald Trump.
    riiight-q654wu.jpg

It’s been over a year now. You people really need to get over your TDS already.

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    It’s been over a year now. You people really need to get over your TDS already.
    Meanwhile you are posting about literally everything Biden does. Pot, meet mirror.