Thread: Resist Nature (620) Changes

Post Resist Nature (620) Changes

Changelog

01/12/2022:

• Clarified that existing forageables will continue to be available for potion creation.
    • Added luminescent indigo mushroom use.
    • Added SUFFUSE rate.
    • Clarified Previous Resistances Modifier formula.

Design Goals

1. Avoid further crowding the player service pool for armor, which is already difficult to navigate and efficiently sequence across Enchanting, Ensorcelling, WPS, and Sanctifying.
    2. Provide a unique, resistance-based service that is not mirrored elsewhere.
    3. Further encourage synergy between spells/abilities.

Resist Nature (620) - Permanent Service Version

Resist Nature will no longer affect armor. Instead, it can be cast on a prepared wearable magic item created by Imbue (614) to provide its bearer with resistance to a chosen element (heat, cold, steam, nature, or lightning). Each tier of Resist Nature bestows a 5% resistance to the element, with a maximum of 5 tiers (25%). The affected item will remain imbeddable/imbedded, and will no longer crumble when its charges are depleted. An item with no charges may also be re-imbedded with a different spell with the use of a grot t’kel potion. A character may only have one Resist Nature item active at a time.
    The Process

Each week while the Ranger gains experience, they also earn points of Nature's Grace alongside at a 1:1 rate. They can earn a total of 50k of these points per week, and bank up to 200k total. They can then spend 50k/75k/100k/125k/150k of these points to attempt to apply resistance to an Imbued magic item, based on how many tiers of the spell are currently applied.

First, they must obtain a special potion by dropping off forageable plants corresponding to the desired damage resistance at the local NPC found in weathered shacks throughout the world. The Ranger may then CAST Resist Nature at the magic item to receive a difficulty check, then POUR the potion on the item to prepare it, and finally CHANNEL the spell at the item to attempt to apply the resistance.

The number of doses of the potion required is equal to the tier of the current attempt. If successful, the item then gains a permanent 5% resistance to the chosen element, with a maximum of 25% resistance after 5 successful tiers. A failure will result in a loss of 10% of the points of Nature’s Grace required for the attempt. The cost of brewing resistance potions will increase from 3000 to 50000 silver (the herbalist will be updated to accept notes) per dose, and the potions will no longer expire.

An item that has reached tier 5 resistance may have another resistance added, but the difficulty of the project will increase by a flat amount per previous resistance.

Using a larkspur potion on an item affected by Resist Nature will remove the most recent tier applied. If only multiple tier 5 resistances remain, the user will be able to choose which to degrade by TURNing the potion.
    Success Formula

Ranger Level + 2*WIS bonus + 2*INT bonus + .75*Survival Ranks + MIU ranks + 1.5*Ranger Spell ranks + Harness Power ranks + SMC ranks + SL:B Lore ranks - Tier Modifier - Previous Resistances Modifier + d100 > 100, for success.

The Tier Modifier is equal to 100 * the target tier of the attempt. The Previous Resistances Modifier is equal to 150 * the number of existing T5 resistances on the item.

Nature’s Grace may be SUFFUSEd at a rate of 2000 per 1 bonus.
    Mechanics

First, a definition of Damage Severity Weighting (DSW). This is a term that describes how critical damage is dealt throughout GemStone. Simply put, it’s the critical ranking system drawn out to 5 points per crit rank (rank 0-9 mapping to ~0-50 DSW). The Combat Effectiveness Rating (CER) numbers are on the same scale.

When the player is struck by damage of the resistant type and the magic item is imbedded with a spell, it absorbs an amount of mana equal to the DSW resisted (i.e. up to 25% of the incoming DSW). Absorbed mana will convert to spell charges based on the cost of the imbedded spell, not to exceed the maximum mana capacity of the item. Additionally, there is a percentage chance that the damage will be entirely negated, equal to the tier of the resistance (maximum base of 5%). The negation chance is further increased by any additional resistances that have been applied to the item equal to resistance tier / 2.

For example, if an incoming instance of cold damage with DSW 20 (rank 4 crit) comes up against a tier 5 cold-resistant (25% resistance)/tier 4 heat-resistant amulet, it will have a 5 + (4 / 2) = 7% chance of being negated entirely. Otherwise, it will provide the standard resistance, reducing the DSW to 15 (rank 3 crit). In either case, the amulet will gain 20 * .25 = 5 mana.
    Interactions

Resistance provided from a Resist Nature magic item will fully stack with the group version of the spell, up to a maximum of 50%. Resistance provided from armor or cloaks will not stack with either version of Resist Nature – only the strongest resistance will apply. The chance for the item to negate damage will occur regardless if it is providing the highest resistance or not. Legacy 620-affected armor is an exception to the above – Resist Nature magic items will not provide any benefits if their bearer is also wearing armor that has resistance granted by the old Resist Nature.
    New Potion-Eligible Forageables

In addition to the existing drakefern, frostflower, mistweed, and murkweed components, the following forageables from the Confluence will be eligible for potion exchanges from the weathered shacks, at a rate of 5 per potion:

• a razor-edged oily flameleaf (heat)
    • a brittle crystalline stalk (cold)
    • a glistening engorged bulb (steam)
    • a dense earthen root (nature)
    • a spiky luminescent blossom (lightning)

Additionally, a new forageable (a length of deep purple shockroot) will be added to the northern slopes of Wehntoph (Wehnimer’s Landing) and the Griffin’s Keen (Ta’Illistim) as a source of lightning resistance potion reagents.

Luminescent indigo mushrooms will continue to be randomly available upon FORAGE, and may still be turned in to the herbalist NPC, who will provide a single dose of a selected resistance potion in exchange.
    Legacy Armor Resistance

Armor currently affected by temporary Resist Nature resistance will continue to function, but their charges will be depleted based on the amount of DSW resisted, rather than per instance. For example, if an incoming instance of fire damage with DSW 20 (rank 4 crit) strikes armor with 60% heat resistance, it will lose 20 * .60 = 12 Resistance Life while reducing the damage to DSW 8 (rank 1 crit).
    Other Changes

Holy Receptacle (325) will be updated to consider magic items created by Imbue (614) as eligible candidates for BLESSing.
    Group Spell Version (Unchanged From Ranger Spell Review 2020)

The Ranger prepares their group with a magical shield that provides resistance to a chosen element (heat, cold, steam, nature, or lightning) equal to 20% + 1% per 4 Blessings ranks (50% maximum at 120 ranks via enhancives/Ascension). The duration of this benefit is 1200 + 60s per Ranger spell rank, but the effect will quickly fade for any member who leaves the Ranger's group. The amount of resistance that can be absorbed by the shield before it fades from the group is equal to 100 + (Spiritual Mana Control skill / 2) DSW. Re-casting the spell will replenish this resistance pool.

Source: https://bit.ly/3HRkUdS

Questions:

1- Did I miss it or is there no mention of enhancive magic items? Does the spell work with them, require a special potion, etc?
    2- If i understand correctly, the update would effectiavely switch ranger resistance (and improve it's mechanics) from armor to magic items. AND make said magic items, if embedded with a spell, self-refilling and permanent (non-crumbly). Correct?

Sounds really cool!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnix View Post
    Questions:

1- Did I miss it or is there no mention of enhancive magic items? Does the spell work with them, require a special potion, etc?
    2- If i understand correctly, the update would effectiavely switch ranger resistance (and improve it's mechanics) from armor to magic items. AND make said magic items, if embedded with a spell, self-refilling and permanent (non-crumbly). Correct?

Sounds really cool!
    Correct, initial item for #1 was created via 614, so use some grass and make something. Not an outside item.
    Items created via 614 will also be able to be imbedded with 325, so you can get 307/310/314/211 in there (Check the restricted list).

The Potion/foraging process makes a 'special item' for used in the process based on the resistance needed.
    Additional Special item would ONLY be Required be IF (All Charges Depleted) AND (wish to change the spell) THEN a grot potion can be used to remove the imbedded spell.

Point 2 is Correct. Additional consideration is that the only way an item will self-refill is if you take damage with it. So if you're a pure with 1000 DS/TD/etc, you're likely not taking as much fire damage as a TH warrior. Therefore I would say that this is likely the biggest boon for Paladin/Bard/Square moreso than a Pure.

>forage for snapdragon stalk
    d100(Open): -251
    You stumble about in a fruitless attempt at foraging.

1/6/2014: Setheve completes the promotion ritual and says, "Congratulations, Whirlin, for achieving Guild Master status! We trust you'll serve your guild well."
    1/11/2014: Grandmaster Alchemist
    1/14/2014: Capped, and got Loralaii killed by a GM.
    7/11/2016: Founded the Hand of the Arkati
    9/20/2016: T5 on my bow (Thanks to Isola)... Managed as far as T4 myself.

I think 120 would be a good candidate spell because 1) I have never heard of x-a-day 120 items, 2) 120 items can be a pain in the ass to get recharged, and 3) 120 is imbeddable and is a good spell
    Last edited by gilchristr; 01-13-2022 at 10:26 PM.
    Your mind is completely fucked. It is imperative that you unfuck immediately!

Quote Originally Posted by gilchristr View Post
    I think 120 would be a good candidate spell because 1) I have never heard of x-a-day 120 items, 2) 120 items can be a pain in the ass to get recharged, and 3) 120 is imbeddable and is a good spell
    I've had a 3x per day 120 pair of glasses for many years.
    I don't use Lich. If you want to do business with me, contact me via PM, IG, or on AIM. Or maybe use smoke signals. Don't like it, get off of my lawn.