Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Official forums shutting down.

Default Official forums shutting down.

Wyrom posted on the officials:

Hey everyone, in an effort to make sure we deliver appropriate communication, we have decided that we are going to be shutting down the forums. A date for this is still being determined, once I know more, I'll post another update.

Here is a comment from him on discord:

[5:00 PM EST] Wyrom: I definitely encourage everyone to discuss the announcement here (or the forums, too soon?), but just be aware this isn't a decision the GameMasters have made. This comes from higher up and it impacts both GS and DR.

I don't know about most folks, but I fucking hate discord. I think this is a shitty move.

hate discord. I think this is a shitty move.
    Your mind is completely fucked. It is imperative that you unfuck immediately!

Blog Entries

Very little news and info makes it out of the discord black hole. It's a bad move, but one a lot of people saw coming as it's part of a larger trend in the industry moving to quick, easy, impermanent engagement rather than slower, more deliberate discussion.

Also +1 to discord fucking sucks.
    Last edited by Taernath; 01-06-2022 at 07:21 PM.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Quote Originally Posted by drumpel View Post
    [5:00 PM EST]This comes from higher up and it impacts both GS and DR.
    I just find this hard to believe. Who is "higher up" than Wyrom? Some random president of Stillfront? Is Stillfront that involved in the daily operations of GS? Were they crunching the numbers and figured they could save tens of dollars a month if they closed down the official forums?

Is there anything someone from Simu could say or do that you would believe?
    Its an incredibly old forum that everyone hates. Isn't it plausible there is an overhead cost or security issue that isn't cost effective to patch a home brewed forum that necessitated the shutdown?

Also, they are going to be expanding use of the wiki for people that don't like discord. They have said that's where announcements and the like will be posted there, and discord is the place for discussion on them.
    Last edited by Rinualdo; 01-06-2022 at 07:31 PM.
    I don't want the world; I just want your half.
    Discord BigNasty#8519

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Rinualdo View Post
    Its an incredibly old forum that everyone hates. Isn't it plausible there is an overhead cost or security issue that isn't cost effective to patch a home brewed forum that necessitated the shutdown?

Also, they are going to be expanding use of the wiki for people that don't like discord. They have said that's where announcements and the like will be posted there, and discord is the place for discussion on them.

Forums are awful but are they going to be archived? And yeah I don't think switching to a chat service is the right move either, expanded wiki sounds good but people won't be able to respond on it, seems like they are sweeping complaints under the rug where stillfront won't be able to have any oversight like forums they might have someone read but probably aren't going to shovel thru 52915959 discord posts.

Quote Originally Posted by drumpel View Post
    Wyrom posted on the officials:

Hey everyone, in an effort to make sure we deliver appropriate communication, we have decided that we are going to be shutting down the forums. A date for this is still being determined, once I know more, I'll post another update.

Here is a comment from him on discord:

[5:00 PM EST] Wyrom: I definitely encourage everyone to discuss the announcement here (or the forums, too soon?), but just be aware this isn't a decision the GameMasters have made. This comes from higher up and it impacts both GS and DR.

I don't know about most folks, but I fucking hate discord. I think this is a shitty move.
    Fucking shitshow bullshit... I also hate discord, and think this is a shitty move.

Bet they announced this on the discord... *grumblemutter*
    ~Crazy Cat Lady, Player of Cylnthia~

Considering the amount of times they have flip-flopped or straight up lied over the years? Probably not. Blame Simu and the GMs for the way they do things, don't blame me.

That's absolutely a plausibility, I just don't think someone at Stillfront made that decision.
    Last edited by Tgo01; 01-06-2022 at 07:45 PM.

I'm not really sure how someone could reconcile stillfront dictating the change while at the same time accusing GS of using it to sweep complaints under the rug. I would suspect that when people complain, its via feedback@ which goes directly to onsite anyway.

If you look at Wyrom's response, I don't see how you can take this other than something GS GMs got told was happening and they are trying to make the best of it and make it work. They haven't said what the driver is- but if its a security vuln, then I doubt things will be archived. I would suspect some things like vignettes and various other historical things will be wiki-ported.
    Discord BigNasty#8519

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    Considering the amount of times they have flip-flopped or straight up lied over the years? Probably not. Blame Simu and the GMs for the way they do things, don't blame me.

That's absolutely a plausibility, I just don't think someone at Stillfront made that decision.
    I can't buy into your conspiracy theories.

If it wasn't Stillfront, who else could make the decision to shut down forums for all the games?
    Discord BigNasty#8519