Thread: Top Professions for TWC

Default Top Professions for TWC

I really like the idea of OHE two weapon combat. I'm curious as to a general consensus of what the top 2 or 3 professions are that can really make that combat style shine. Is it Bard because they can 2x OHE and have 1035? Or with a natural progression of statistics, is a warrior more suited to really make that combat style work? Or maybe Paladin because they can achieve higher DS without needing a shield? As much as I love that combat style, I've never taken a character very far with it but would really like to look into doing this. So before I do, I wanted to solicit some feedback. I will stipulate that as much as I like TWC, if rogue/ranger is a top profession for being truly exceptional at TWC, I really don't like hide/ambush mechanics.

From my non-experienced view, I'd say any of the squares, since they can 3x dodging.. monks may very well be the best, since their 3x dodging is cheap, they can 3x PF ('dux), and their OHE and TWC training costs are equal to the other squares. (Monks also can Mental Acuity & Kroderine Soul after level 30, which is an amazing combination.)

ETA: Oh, I suppose I do have some older experience... I played a levels 10-45 warrior who TWC/MStrike with both longswords and handaxes, 10-15 yeras ago now, so before all the new fun things came out. Didn't use Berserk, but the MStrike+TWC combination, along with having high AGIDEX for RT reduction, was just kill-all-the-things-quick fun, though it wasn't as fun having a lower defense compared to sword+board. Definitely a offense versus defense thing to consider.
    Last edited by mgoddess; 01-12-2022 at 05:13 PM. Reason: ETA to add old twc-ms warrior experience.
    ~Crazy Cat Lady, Player of Cylnthia~

I like rogues since almost nothing ever survives two attacks from hiding which means a ranger would be a very close second.

I would assume warriors using mstrike.

But rogues with dervish are pretty cool if you ask me.

Rogues = Cheaper dodge than Warriors, but CMAN and MSTRIKE are more expensive - best if you plan to ambush from stealth.
    Warrior = Cheaper weapon & CMAN/MSTRIKE training, but dodge is more costly - best if you want to open mstrike with heavy armor.
    Monk = Cheapest dodge training, and can afford mstrike early, but will have a few less CMAN options that compliment the build.

Weapon Bonding is one of the strongest reasons to go warrior for that double strike flare with the bonded weapon. On top of the super useful warrior guild skills, and berserk does work well with TWC & MoC. If you rely on the invoker for a while, you can even pick up a 2nd weapon skill to boost your AS via martial mastery (not unique to warriors, just tends to be easier to do with warriors).

Rangers are OK TWC if you can wait for a while because you won't have the TPs to really do it until at least level 20, but probably much later due to the need to pick up a lot of required training to use the ranger effectively.
    Last edited by Maerit; 01-12-2022 at 12:30 AM.

TWC for a warrior really starts to shine once you get enough MOC to get 5 strikes per mstrike or berserk proc. With 2 weapons this equals 10 strikes, and allows you to get over most EBP frustration that can be tedious when you're using single strike attacks. This ultimately leads it to being a very efficient path to dead opponents.

I use it in the arena all the time for its speed to kill, switching from TWC hurling on most opponents, to an mstrike on champions. The extra strike keeps your speed to kill low, allowing you to get through an arena run quickly.
    I don't use Lich. If you want to do business with me, contact me via PM, IG, or on AIM. Or maybe use smoke signals. Don't like it, get off of my lawn.

I am not a mechanics expert, but I've tried most of the combinations and professions with TWC (warrior, rogue, monk, ranger, paladin, bard, even a wizard and a warpath) with a few fix skills over the last couple decades.

Warrior/Monk for open combat were the best for the reasons Archigeek and Maerit provided.
    Rogue for ambushing (of course).

Ranger was completely viable with both paths (open or ambush) and is arguably the best option among the semi crowd. Get a panther, two scimitars and be Drizzt Do'Urden. My ranger has been TWC for two decades.

Bard was interesting with song of tonis, but it sounds better on paper - I preferred to work the pole.

Wizard/warpath were oddities, but you are better off just using a pole/THW if you want a fighter/mage build - not really viable for TWC, just a lot of wasted training points to be different. 1 second lance swings at a crippled opponent is a war crime.

Paladin was bland. But Paladins are bland for every build I've tried.

The square/semi groups are all viable. I found the differences are small - it is like asking if Coke or Pepsi is better. Depends on your taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Dud View Post
    I am not a mechanics expert, but I've tried most of the combinations and professions with TWC (warrior, rogue, monk, ranger, paladin, bard, even a wizard and a warpath) with a few fix skills over the last couple decades.

Warrior/Monk for open combat were the best for the reasons Archigeek and Maerit provided.
    Rogue for ambushing (of course).

Ranger was completely viable with both paths (open or ambush) and is arguably the best option among the semi crowd. Get a panther, two scimitars and be Drizzt Do'Urden. My ranger has been TWC for two decades.

Bard was interesting with song of tonis, but it sounds better on paper - I preferred to work the pole.

Wizard/warpath were oddities, but you are better off just using a pole/THW if you want a fighter/mage build - not really viable for TWC, just a lot of wasted training points to be different. 1 second lance swings at a crippled opponent is a war crime.

Paladin was bland. But Paladins are bland for every build I've tried.

The square/semi groups are all viable. I found the differences are small - it is like asking if Coke or Pepsi is better. Depends on your taste.
    Pepsi or gyfo
    The only rude person I met was a taxi driver in kagoshima. I was going from the train station to the ferry to take it over to an island and was showing him my papers and he was like "oh, climb mountain?" and I'm like "hai, yep!" and he made a muscle pose(bent arm, whatever you call it) laughed, and rubbed my belly.. like "oh, no, you fat american fuck, you no get up there", but whatever - Japhrimel