Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: random laptop question

Blog Entries

Default random laptop question

So I am by no means computer saavy at all.

I have noticed over the past couple of days that even though my laptop is plugged in to the battery pack that the laptop is not fully charging. It has slowly been going down and is tentatively at 90% now. Is that my laptop battery dying or is my battery pack crapping out?
    Discord - HighSeasHleef#3464

Follow my farm - Cool Story Farm on facebook and Instagram!

Main - Aromos and Toliah

Quote Originally Posted by Orthin View Post
    So I am by no means computer saavy at all.

I have noticed over the past couple of days that even though my laptop is plugged in to the battery pack that the laptop is not fully charging. It has slowly been going down and is tentatively at 90% now. Is that my laptop battery dying or is my battery pack crapping out?
    How old is the laptop/battery?

Blog Entries

2-3 years old

Main - Aromos and Toliah

If you leave it plugged in all the time then likely the battery has gotten to the point where it has lost a lot of capacity. If it is a removable battery, then just replace it, if not you will have to take a look at the cost to replace it vs the cost of a new/updated laptop. I am in the exact same boat right now and cannot decide since I really do not use my laptop except when I travel.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kutter View Post
    If you leave it plugged in all the time then likely the battery has gotten to the point where it has lost a lot of capacity. If it is a removable battery, then just replace it, if not you will have to take a look at the cost to replace it vs the cost of a new/updated laptop. I am in the exact same boat right now and cannot decide since I really do not use my laptop except when I travel.
    ahhh man. I do not see an easily removeable battery (like my old Asus laptop). Are the costs really that significant that it could be equal to buy a new laptop versus replacing the battery in this bad boy, thats intense!

Main - Aromos and Toliah

Blog Entries

I looked at https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04506712 and it does look like even a dolt like my could actually do this, its just a matter of how expensive the battery may be to purchase. I ordered a new charger just in case and am hoping that fixes it but if not with everyone's info I will know the next step and I will use my charger less this go round.

Main - Aromos and Toliah

Blog Entries

oh and also completely randomly my battery started to take charge - it is back from its stuck 90% to 97% (though I did move my settings to the top battery saving mode)

Main - Aromos and Toliah

Well if yours is easy to change then I would say go that route, mine requires pretty much complete disassembly of the laptop and soldering, something I am not so great at. I think my battery was like $120, for a 3 year old laptop that was only like $600 new, so for me it does not make a lot of sense to replace the battery when it is half the price of a new laptop. For now I will limp along until it bugs me a lot more than it does now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kutter View Post
    Well if yours is easy to change then I would say go that route, mine requires pretty much complete disassembly of the laptop and soldering, something I am not so great at. I think my battery was like $120, for a 3 year old laptop that was only like $600 new, so for me it does not make a lot of sense to replace the battery when it is half the price of a new laptop. For now I will limp along until it bugs me a lot more than it does now.
    Oh yeah I could NOT change your laptop battery, that sounds intense!
    Last edited by Orthin; 10-13-2021 at 10:12 AM. Reason: forgot not

Main - Aromos and Toliah

Blog Entries

If you have a multimeter you could test the battery voltage to see if the values you get are close to whatever's listed on the battery itself.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.