Thread: Shield and Spear vs THW

1. Default Shield and Spear vs THW

I did a bit of work on the test server and the viability of shield/spear is interesting. I was thinking that the combo of a chainspear + shield or thrown bandolier + shield could be interesting. I think I'm trading damage for versatility and maybe overall mechanical benefit for something that seems different and fun. Raw AS seems to actually be a little bit better (+3 to +5 AS) with the spear/shield build, I'm not exactly sure why. I can trim climbing and swimming, maybe a bit of dodge depending on shield size.

Any thoughts? And how much am I giving away with this build when I berserk? This is an expensive experiment to implement so any guidance would be great.

Skill Name | Current Current
    | Bonus Ranks
    Armor Use..........................| 250 150
    Shield Use.........................| 270 170
    Combat Maneuvers...................| 270 170
    Thrown Weapons.....................| 260 160
    Polearm Weapons....................| 270 170
    Ambush.............................| 50 10
    Multi Opponent Combat..............| 190 90
    Physical Fitness...................| 355 255
    Dodging............................| 183 83
    Harness Power......................| 70 15
    Perception.........................| 183 83
    Climbing...........................| 150 50
    Swimming...........................| 150 50

You thrust with a golvern spear at a forest troll!
    AS: +493 vs DS: +55 with AvD: +28 + d100 roll: +33 = +499
    ... and hit for 147 points of damage!
    Well aimed strike shatters bone in right arm!
    The forest troll is stunned!
    Roundtime: 5 sec.
    >
    With a quick flick of your wrist, you deftly send a golvern spear into flight.
    You throw a golvern spear at a forest troll!
    AS: +432 vs DS: +45 with AvD: +28 + d100 roll: +69 = +484
    ... and hit for 161 points of damage!
    Wild upward slash removes the forest troll's face from her skull!
    Interesting way to die.
    [You have earned 1 prestige point.]
    The forest troll falls to the ground and dies.
    The deep blue glow leaves a forest troll.
    Bad angle. The golvern spear fails to stick in a forest troll.
    [Use the RECOVER HURL command while in the appropriate room to regain your item.]
    Roundtime: 4 sec.
    Last edited by hamsquatch; 06-10-2021 at 01:06 PM.

I can't comment on much other than the swimming and climbing bit.

I'm not sure if other areas require more swimming, but I have noticed I can make the swim in and out of the Rift just fine with 30 ranks, I haven't tried 20 ranks but I suspect that is enough too.

As far as climbing goes, I really think everyone should fully 1x in climbing unless they hunt in areas that don't require climbing at all. Reason being wounds and encumbrance make a big difference to your ability to climb and if you fail a climb check due to either of these issues you might suffer more wounds making it even more difficult to succeed in the climb check. Having 101 ranks seems to make it much easier to pass the climb check, even if you're wounded or just a bit encumbered.

Swim checks might work the same way, wounds/encumbrance makes it more difficult, I don't know, I just know I only really ever noticed a problem with climbing. I guess it could be because I usually heal down wounds or fog out of the Rift to bypass the swim check on the way out.

they also recently updated the bonus for overtraining swimming ranks
    I don't want the world; I just want your half.
    Discord BigNasty#8519

Many years ago I trained a warrior that used polearms and a shield. Could use a lance/halberd with two hands or switch to a spear and shield when he needed more defense. I remember having a blast with him. As I said though, that was many years and many game changes ago.

I came across a stupid good spear for really cheap so I dug a shield out of a locker and put them on my paladin. I find it really good for two things: 1. When his naginata swing times get too long due to encumbrance and 2. Those times when he just needs a little more DS. He is not trained in much shield but the extra +35 from the shield enchant does make a difference. Does he kill as fast, no but it still works well.

On mine, I made a quick macro that when he MOCs, he slings his shield, switches grip to two hand on the spear spear, pauses for the attack time, and switching the grip to one hand and unslings the spear. It gives the attack more DF.
    Last edited by Middian; 06-12-2021 at 08:32 AM.