Thread: Forging as a Wizard

Default Forging as a Wizard

Is this possible as a Wizard or is this a Warrior only thing? I'd like to be able to forge my own elemental weapons. Currently there isn't a way for wizards create their own runestaves which I find strange when compared to other RPGs so I'm hoping forging is possible.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    Is this possible as a Wizard or is this a Warrior only thing? I'd like to be able to forge my own elemental weapons. Currently there isn't a way for wizards create their own runestaves which I find strange when compared to other RPGs so I'm hoping forging is possible.
    It's possible. I have a wizard who has done it, and know a few wizards who've done it.

The only drawback is the bonuses at the anvil are for warriors and paladins.
    yours truly,

PC's resident nihilist

Forging is a life sucking bitch from he'll from which there is no escape. Save yourself literally hundreds of hours of frustration and have one of us idiots that has already ground it make it for you.

I do not say that to try and sell anything, I mastered, made about a dozen things several years back and have not been back in the forge since then.

If you want a runestaff I do not think there is any advantage to a player forged one like a weapon is.

If you want it for the neat factor, seriously just have one made.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kutter View Post
    Forging is a life sucking bitch from he'll from which there is no escape.
    It's just for something creative to do in game really. I used to own a jewellery box that made custom jewellery I'm not sure why those mechanics weren't copied and pasted into a Jewel crafting artisan skill, the same with the runestaff customiser from Briarmoon cove. I also used to charge and dye my wands during the lower levels, just to make them a little bit more interesting. I'm not really looking for power a boost, there's already upteen things that do that already just the ability to make something unique.

If it is something you want to do because you find it interesting and consistent with how you RP, then go for it.

I would just provide you with some math so you can have full awareness. There are 6 skills and each takes approximately 170 hours to master. There are however several good scripts to eliminate the repetitive drudgery. I just hunted my UAC wizard while I watched the scroll.

But to be honest maybe you should not listen to me, I have rogue guild grandmaster, wizard master who needs 10 ranks to grand master, and forge master so I am clearly insane.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

can you actually make runestaves through forging? I know its considered a THW but are there even plans to make them?
    Discord - Arrolus#0270

Follow my farm - Cool Story Farm on facebook and Instagram!

Arrolus - Monk
    Aromos - Cleric

You cannot craft runestaffs.

You can craft quarterstaffs. But they don't function like a runestaff. Quarterstaffs are strictly THW. Honestly, I don't know how a perfect runestaff would be beneficial since forging only boosts to AvD and DF of a weapon. Runestaffs aren't used as a melee weapon - sure, they can be, but they have god awful AvD and DF, even compared to a quarterstaff.

They improved the bonus to your rolls to earning a rank, it is now LOG Bonus/3. Before it was a bonus of 20 Logic netted you a +1. If you had a 20 Logic bonus, the hidden roll for earning a rank would be (hidden roll)+1. So if you are on rank 499 and needed a d500 roll of 500, you used to only get that last roll if the hidden roll was 500 or 499+1 (if you had a high enough Logic bonus). Now if you have a Logic bonus of say, 21, you'd have a hidden roll result of (hidden roll)+7. So if you got to that 499 rank and needed 1 more rank to master, you'd need a hidden roll of 493 or better.

As for forging, about 6 months back they adjusted the RTs down. It's a lot faster going through forging now than it used to be.

RTs reduced to help fly through some of the process now are such:
    Using a glyph was 30 seconds, now it's 5 seconds
    Grinder was 105 seconds, now it's 30.
    Polisher was 80 seconds, now it's 30.
    Vise was 70 seconds, now it's 30. (this is great because a Gift of Enoake last 15 minutes and you used to only be able to get 12 vises done with it running, now you can 29 complete vises done which means a much greater chance to get a perfect weapon)
    Forge RTs greatly reduced, depending on material being used. For example hammering vultite used to take 540 (if memory serves me right) seconds per hammer session. It now only takes 180 seconds.

You can tear through ranks faster than before. I forget how much exp you earn for your first weapon type, per rank. But last character (after the RT changes) was pulling ranks fast enough to max his mind out that I'd have to take breaks and let him absorb experience before continuing, otherwise the experience would just go to waste. The adjustment to your rolls for LOG/3 is a nice help as well. I think the warrior I was working on is now at rank 498 when I last had him in the forge.

I do still run into the forge now and then with my wizard. He's mastered at crafting - which you need to get through first and craft a perfect forging hammer - mastered OHB, OHE and THW types. After that you pick a weapon class that interests you and you work on hammering out pieces from bronze or steel (whatever those low, cheap costing slabs are you buy from the blacksmith) of a simple weapon. For example, if you went with OHEs, just work on hammering out dagger blades over and over and over again until you master them at 500 ranks. After that, then you start trying to craft a perfect OHE weapon.

On average, about 1 out of 15 blades made will be a best piece. Crafting is similar when it comes to making best hilts. Sometimes you might get lucky and get 3 or 4 best pieces in a row, the wonders of RNG. Other times you could hammer out 50 pieces and not get a single best piece, again, the wonders of RNG. After you build up a small stockpile of best blades and handles/hilts, then you turn to the vise and usually (even with gift of enoake active) you'd get 1-2 perfect weapons out of 12 vise attempts.

On a final note, I'm not sure why no one has updated the GSWiki to reflect these updates or at the very minimum copied the updated post from the Artisan folder on the officials and link it on the Forging page on the wiki......I see a little information was adjusted on the wiki, such as hammer times for different metals, but that's about it.
    Last edited by drumpel; 06-08-2021 at 10:35 AM.

At something like 40-50 hours now to master a skill that seems a lot less onerous, its something you can do in a week instead of a month.

Honestly I did not even look to see that there was a difference between a runestaff and a quarterstaff, I always thought they were the same with different names.

I may have to send my paladin back in so he can get to work on his perfect lance at some point.

Actually the fact that this is about a wizard makes me wonder does haste or celerity impact round times in the forge?

Quote Originally Posted by kutter View Post
    At something like 40-50 hours now to master a skill that seems a lot less onerous, its something you can do in a week instead of a month.

Honestly I did not even look to see that there was a difference between a runestaff and a quarterstaff, I always thought they were the same with different names.

I may have to send my paladin back in so he can get to work on his perfect lance at some point.

Actually the fact that this is about a wizard makes me wonder does haste or celerity impact round times in the forge?
    No, zero impact. Haste really fucked up with how the script of the forge programming worked and made things wonky. You could finish up hammering a piece and be left with 30+ seconds of the hammer script still running (the piece you were working on wasn't actually finished) and you could walk out the door to try and polish the piece and things would fail....or you'd try to move on to the next hammer session and things would fail.

They made sure that old haste (506) and new haste (535) have zero impact on forge and RTs.

**Update**
    Actually, haste did (no longer does) reduce the RT for using a glyph. I used to be able to shave off 8 or 10 seconds tracing a glyph. With the reduced RT of glyphs only taking 5 seconds, they removed the function of haste.
    Last edited by drumpel; 06-08-2021 at 03:08 PM.