Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: On the Death Penalty

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletor View Post
    Try being that one guy strapped to a gurney, an IV haphazardly shoved in your arm with less than a minute left before they forcibly and painfully stop your healthy heart.

"Well, I was watching Netflix and downing some leftover pizza that night and now... I'm here. Hope my kids are going to be OK."

It's fucked up.
    Again, that's not how this shit happens. It's a nice fantasy, it's not even remotely close to reality so stop trying to sell this pity party bullshit.
    I asked for neither your Opinion,
    your Acceptance
    nor your Permission.

"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." Dante Alighieri 3
    "It took 2000 mules to install one Jackass." Diamond and Silk Watch the Movie

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Candor View Post
    The percentage of people wrongly convicted of serious crimes is very small. We must of course work to ensure that the percentage is at close to zero as possible, but it is idiotic to change punishments for crimes over the issue.

The death penalty ensures that those who commit very serious crimes do not cause further harm to society. Personally I also believe it is also a deterrent to committing capital crimes, but even if I happen to be wrong on this point (and I am not), I am still strongly in favor of the death penalty. Society must not tolerate certain crimes and must put to death those who commit them. The fact that there are a very very few people wrongly convicted of capital crimes must not alter this approach. The damage to society will be much greater by removing capital punishment altogether.
    1 person wrongly sentenced to death is 1 too many. Imagine it was you. Imagine it was a loved one.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Blog Entries

The percentage of people wrongly convicted of serious crimes is very small. We must of course work to ensure that the percentage is at close to zero as possible, but it is idiotic to change punishments for crimes over the issue.

The death penalty ensures that those who commit very serious crimes do not cause further harm to society. Personally I also believe it is also a deterrent to committing capital crimes, but even if I happen to be wrong on this point (and I am not), I am still strongly in favor of the death penalty. Society must not tolerate certain crimes and must put to death those who commit them. The fact that there are a very very few people wrongly convicted of capital crimes must not alter this approach. The damage to society will be much greater by removing capital punishment altogether.
    I'm highly suspect of the death penalty doing anything to prevent murder. In most cases a person is in reptilian brain mode when they murder someone and the penalty that they may face doesn't even cross their mind.

Life in prison, to me, is a much harsher punishment than the death penalty anyway.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. ~ Marcus Aurelius
    “It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“The urge to shout filthy words at the top of his voice was as strong as ever.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Quote Originally Posted by Neveragain View Post
    I'm highly suspect of the death penalty doing anything to prevent murder. In most cases a person is in reptilian brain mode when they murder someone and the penalty that they may face doesn't even cross their mind.

Life in prison, to me, is a much harsher punishment than the death penalty anyway.
    That's why I'm for us going back to 1850ish or so... Everyone has guns, but semi-decent principles... Treat someone wrong... duel! Treat someone badly... duel!

Child molesters should be killed even today... no excuses.

5. Default

It happens more than you think, a lot of these prosecutors (and many lawyers from my personal experience) have sociopathic tendencies. They don't care as long as they put another feather in their resume.

Dallas County Prosecutor Disbarred for Withholding Evidence After 2 Men Cleared of Capital Murder Charges.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/da...arges/2632947/
    Last edited by Skeletor; 05-15-2021 at 07:36 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletor View Post
    It happens more than you think, a lot of these prosecutors (and many lawyers from my personal experience) have sociopathic tendencies. They don't care as long as they put another feather in their resume.

Dallas County Prosecutor Disbarred for Withholding Evidence After 2 Men Cleared of Capital Murder Charges.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/da...arges/2632947/
    Disbarment should be the least of their punishment. They should be tried for interfering with a police investigation, malfeasance in office and honestly, violation of civil rights. How someone can sleep at night knowing for a fact they put people in prison for no reason and the actual offender is still out there I have no idea.

I'd hope they would sue that person directly too.
    Last edited by Gelston; 05-15-2021 at 01:48 PM.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Shaps View Post
    Child molesters should be killed even today... no excuses.
    I feel the same way, especially if multiple children are involved. The objection is that such a penalty would result in more dead children (so they cannot testify). I don't seem to have a good response to that one.

I feel the same way, especially if multiple children are involved. The objection is that such a penalty would result in more dead children (so they cannot testify). I don't seem to have a good response to that one.
    That's a good point. Honestly not sure how to reconcile that either. At least they get taken care of in prison for the most part.