Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: On the Death Penalty

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletor View Post
    Four years later, lawyers affiliated with the Innocence Project and the American Civil Liberties Union say DNA testing has revealed that genetic material on the murder weapon — which was never previously tested — in fact belongs to another man...

...Along with providing new DNA results, Ms. Young’s petition pushed the city of Jacksonville to compare fingerprints from the crime scene to a state and national fingerprint database for the first time. It has long been established that Mr. Lee’s fingerprints did not match any of those at the scene.
    What's the protocol for when that happens? resignations? punitive damages? counselling for the jurors?

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    What's the protocol for when that happens? resignations? punitive damages? counselling for the jurors?
    I can't imagine any of that happens unless there is proof that someone knew for a fact the person was innocent (like they suppressed evidence or knew who the real killer was or something) and yet went along with it anyways.

Otherwise it's going to have a very chilling effect on our justice system that if an honest mistake happens (and lets face it barring any evidence suggesting otherwise this was a mistake) then everyone involved in the trial would receive repercussions.

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    It's really not. Hundreds of thousands of people are convicted of crimes each year and sent to prison, how many are actually innocent?
    Here's just one example.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...on/7122295002/

How many more stories like this are swept under the rug?

Do you think this only happened just this one time?

Oh right, the ever present yet never identified "systemic racism." I don't suppose RATM gave you any actual examples of "systemic racism" happening today that you can point to?
    I'm sorry, I couldn't understand what you were mumbling it sounds like you have a mouthful of hate and bullshit.

Here you go, this article was written for you.

https://news.stanford.edu/2020/06/09...erican-racism/
    Make Shattered a $5 stand-alone subscription

Blog Entries

The issue is more about the mentality of prosecutors. Some of them care far more about conviction success than they do about putting away the right guy. There has been cases where they KNOW the person they are trying to convict didn't do the crime but they go at it anyways.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote Originally Posted by Bhaalizmo View Post
    I'm sorry, I couldn't understand what you were mumbling it sounds like you have a mouthful of hate and bullshit.

Here you go, this article was written for you.
    A simple: "Nope! I'm a complete retard and don't understand the meaning of the words I use!" would have sufficed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    The issue is more about the mentality of prosecutors. Some of them care far more about conviction success than they do about putting away the right guy. There has been cases where they KNOW the person they are trying to convict didn't do the crime but they go at it anyways.
    100% agree with this perspective. Prosecutors caught conducting business in that way should face maximum penalties.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaps View Post
    100% agree with this perspective. Prosecutors caught conducting business in that way should face maximum penalties.
    Or be elected vice president.

Or be elected vice president.
    Yea that bitch should have been disbarred, and never achieved what she did for the crap she was pulling on people in the system.

It's actually a stain on our electoral process that she was elevated to such a position. Especially when you had others like Tulsi Gabbard or Andrew Yang (who's policies I'm 50/50 on, but I can actually respect the work he's done and his apparently genuine concerns) to select from.

9. Default

The percentage of people wrongly convicted of serious crimes is very small. We must of course work to ensure that the percentage is at close to zero as possible, but it is idiotic to change punishments for crimes over the issue.

The death penalty ensures that those who commit very serious crimes do not cause further harm to society. Personally I also believe it is also a deterrent to committing capital crimes, but even if I happen to be wrong on this point (and I am not), I am still strongly in favor of the death penalty. Society must not tolerate certain crimes and must put to death those who commit them. The fact that there are a very very few people wrongly convicted of capital crimes must not alter this approach. The damage to society will be much greater by removing capital punishment altogether.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Candor View Post
    The percentage of people wrongly convicted of serious crimes is very small. We must of course work to ensure that the percentage is at close to zero as possible, but it is idiotic to change punishments for crimes over the issue.

The death penalty ensures that those who commit very serious crimes do not cause further harm to society. Personally I also believe it is also a deterrent to committing capital crimes, but even if I happen to be wrong on this point (and I am not), I am still strongly in favor of the death penalty. Society must not tolerate certain crimes and must put to death those who commit them. The fact that there are a very very few people wrongly convicted of capital crimes must not alter this approach. The damage to society will be much greater by removing capital punishment altogether.
    Try being that one guy strapped to a gurney, an IV haphazardly shoved in your arm with less than a minute left before they forcibly and painfully stop your healthy heart.

"Well, I was watching Netflix and downing some leftover pizza that night and now... I'm here. Hope my kids are going to be OK."

It's fucked up.