Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Interested in Opinions

Blog Entries

College sports brings in money that pays for academic scholarships.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Blog Entries

It would actually suck if they did this, I would probably stop watching football and basketball all together. I haven't watched the NBA since the Jordan era.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. ~ Marcus Aurelius
    “It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“The urge to shout filthy words at the top of his voice was as strong as ever.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Quote Originally Posted by Neveragain View Post
    The only colleges that would do this are schools with no name athletic departments. The highest paid state employee in my state is the head coach for the Hawkeyes.
    Did you read it? These aren't no names....

"Dozens of universities — including Brown, Michigan State, William & Mary, Iowa, and George Washington — have abruptly eliminated scores of athletic teams this year, in sports including swimming, tennis, gymnastics, lacrosse, rowing, wrestling, and track and field."

"Setting the worst example of all, surely, is Stanford University and its president, Marc Tessier-Lavigne. The school recently announced that it would be cutting eleven varsity sports, most of which had produced multiple Olympic champions. The school’s reasoning? Stanford can’t afford it."

"When Dartmouth College announced its own program cuts, the athletic director, Harry Sheehy, icily revealed why he wouldn’t consult the students he was harming. “I know it sounds like the right thing to do but no school will . . . vet the decision to coaches and players [because] we knew it wouldn’t be welcomed.”

Seems more like they want to get rid of all sports, except the ones that make them money with the major media companies - which seems antithetical to the whole concept of sports and scholastics in my opinion.

Blog Entries

They are looking at cutting sports that don't make money. This happens all the time.

The cynic in me suggest that this might be an end run around Title 9 for college sports, not that I have an issue with that. Public universities I can see enforcing Title 9, but private universities, I think it is a load of crap. When the government can dictate to an entity how they do business it is no longer a private enterprise. And before all you start screaming the government and about regulatory issues, they are not the same thing and if you cannot see why then you are just a dumbass and no one can help you.

Title 9 has been an abysmal failure and only hurt mostly disadvantage and poor men.
    I asked for neither your Opinion,
    your Acceptance
    nor your Permission.

"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." Dante Alighieri 3
    "It took 2000 mules to install one Jackass." Diamond and Silk Watch the Movie

Quote Originally Posted by Shaps View Post

"Dozens of universities — including Brown, Michigan State, William & Mary, Iowa, and George Washington — have abruptly eliminated scores of athletic teams this year, in sports including swimming, tennis, gymnastics, lacrosse, rowing, wrestling, and track and field."

"Setting the worst example of all, surely, is Stanford University and its president, Marc Tessier-Lavigne. The school recently announced that it would be cutting eleven varsity sports, most of which had produced multiple Olympic champions. The school’s reasoning? Stanford can’t afford it."

"When Dartmouth College announced its own program cuts, the athletic director, Harry Sheehy, icily revealed why he wouldn’t consult the students he was harming. “I know it sounds like the right thing to do but no school will . . . vet the decision to coaches and players [because] we knew it wouldn’t be welcomed.”

Seems more like they want to get rid of all sports, except the ones that make them money with the major media companies - which seems antithetical to the whole concept of sports and scholastics in my opinion.
    Universities are a type of business, are they not? Don’t they want to earn money and cover their expenses? What’s wrong with cutting cost of a sports program that makes little to no money, or possibly loses money?
    Last edited by Solkern; 04-26-2021 at 01:49 AM.
    The idiot award goes to…

The Constitution is not the Declaration of Independence. (I'm not at all surprised that you don't know this)
    An hour later:
    "That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, that whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government." ~ The Constitution

Quote Originally Posted by Solkern View Post
    Universities are a type of business, are they not? Don’t they want to earn money and cover their expenses? What’s wrong with cutting cost of a sports program that makes little to no money, or possibly loses money?
    Good points, Gelston also made this observation.

Why I'm asking to discuss it. I think the underlying reason for such a move matters, and from the quotes they decided to put into the article and that I highlighted... it doesn't feel like it's about money.

It might sound stupid to some - but hear me out (not saying it is or isn't the reason).... Sports are one of the last true meritocracies. It develops and encourages sportsmanship, fair play, competition, and accepting defeat. All very valuable lessons. It's not the end all be all of course with that regards, but it has a huge impact.

Even when a group coalesced and garnered enough funds to support a schools full sports program, it was still denied. So money is not the underlying issue from my perspective. Something else is going on.

"By Stanford’s own accounting, cutting eleven teams as planned would save about $4 million per year. Yet when the school’s athletes raised $30 million to fund the programs, the administration said it wasn’t good enough."

I'll toss an idea out of what I think it is: Social Engineering - been going on a long while, has happened throughout history - this is just the new version in conjunction with social media. A docile citizenry is the desired end state.
    Last edited by Shaps; 04-26-2021 at 04:58 AM.

Blog Entries

I actually didn't read the article.

Iowa or Iowa state getting rid of wrestling?... Hell will freeze over first.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. ~ Marcus Aurelius
    “It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“The urge to shout filthy words at the top of his voice was as strong as ever.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Blog Entries

Good points, Gelston also made this observation.

Why I'm asking to discuss it. I think the underlying reason for such a move matters, and from the quotes they decided to put into the article and that I highlighted... it doesn't feel like it's about money.

It might sound stupid to some - but hear me out (not saying it is or isn't the reason).... Sports are one of the last true meritocracies. It develops and encourages sportsmanship, fair play, competition, and accepting defeat. All very valuable lessons. It's not the end all be all of course with that regards, but it has a huge impact.

Even when a group coalesced and garnered enough funds to support a schools full sports program, it was still denied. So money is not the underlying issue from my perspective. Something else is going on.

"By Stanford’s own accounting, cutting eleven teams as planned would save about $4 million per year. Yet when the school’s athletes raised $30 million to fund the programs, the administration said it wasn’t good enough."

I'll toss an idea out of what I think it is: Social Engineering - been going on a long while, has happened throughout history - this is just the new version in conjunction with social media. A docile citizenry is the desired end state.
    Certain sports make money. Generally Basketball and Football raise the most. Basketball is the cheapest one to fund, generally, so it usually sees big gains. Football costs a bit more, but if you have a good enough team to get into a bowl game every year you'll be making very good money. Baseball can make money too, but it is harder. The remainder of the sports really don't make anything and are almost wholly supported by the other sports.

Point here, the SEC is one of the richest conferences in the NCAA, they don't do wrestling though. It doesn't make anything.
    Last edited by Gelston; 04-26-2021 at 04:46 PM.