Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Pathragers retirement

Quote Originally Posted by Shaps View Post
    Actually it's not, because your comparison to WoW is absurd.
    Is it really though, especially now when Simu is trying to turn GS into text WoW, and are almost definitely going to fail miserably at it and make combat much less fun for probably everyone but warriors? I'm not saying GS end game should consist of raid content identical to WoW's, but it should still be something more than what's currently offered.

There is plenty to do "end-game". You just don't like it.
    Please list this "plenty to do" end game stuff that there is it do. And by end game, I mean at level 100, because rolling alts isn't end game. It's literally replaying the "non end game" you've already played, which is the opposite of end game. Best case, that would fall under "What to do when your main doesn't have shit left to do?" but definitely not classified as anything "end game."

"End-game" of a game is not supposed to last 30 frigging years. If you're doing the same thing over, and over, and over for 20+ years? Well that's more than almost any other game. They've added some things, but this game is not all about end-game... unlike WoW. WoW is only about "end-game" now... the rest of the game literally does not matter.
    WoW probably wasn't supposed to last 17 years either, yet here are are, and they consistently put out new end game content. They also actually pay their devs too, which is a totally foreign concept to Simu.

Which is probably all Simu would need to do to keep most capped players busy and content...keep making new areas. They're act like they're so worried about the power creep that they themselves created, so address it by creating new end game content instead of nerfing everyone. New areas creates opportunities for all sorts of new mechanics to be introduced into the game that don't require nerfing all sorts of shit. They could disable any spell or ability in any area they wanted to, so if for example X spell was trivializing content in some new end game area for some reason, they could implement limitations to the spell that are only in effect in that area, etc.

This is pretty much what Ascension is supposed to eventually accomplish, assuming it ever gets fleshed out, which I seriously doubt it will, but even then, this should have already been happening for years/decades now. Better late than never I suppose, at least assuming it happens and doesn't become Savants 2.0.

Instead, they want to take a sledgehammer to everything that people have been used to for decades, and then expect everyone to just relearn their convoluted shit show to engage in combat that's almost definitely going to be noticeably more tedious and much less fun while managing 48723094238 status effects and all that, and the rewards have never scaled in this game, so I don't expect any of that to be worth whatever the payoff is supposed to be.

This game? The world is supposed to matter. Regardless of what level you are, there is a challenge and something to explore. Just because the number beside your "Level" isn't 100, doesn't mean it's not fun or engaging.
    How does the world matter more in GS than in any other MMO? Sure the real time GM NPC thing is nice during storylines or whatever, but that also requires you to be on at the right time, and ultimately, the players have zero effect on most if not all storylines, as they're almost completely GM driven, can't be advanced by players, and we're effectively just along for the ride to watch and maybe kill some invasion mobs and get an RPA or whatever. But don't fool yourself into thinking that players have any real effect on a storyline's progression or outcome., with some very rare exceptions that are usually unintentional, i.e. Drizzsdt killing the feithmodor (?) boss or whatever it was and effectively ruining the story's conclusion because no GMs planned for that happening, etc. Though the chaos it caused was pretty epic.

You're literally mad about a game that is over 30 years old not catering to your "end-game". Even though, they've included many new options for "end-game" recently. And you all literally bitch about what they do add. And why do you bitch? Because you can't farm it in less than 2 minutes, fill your head up, let bigshot do the work for you, then sit at a node talking shit. Or the fact you can't farm a spot for 3+ hours without heading in, while filling up 4+ 1000lb bags, and carrying 500k+ in coins without some form of danger.
    What options? Nerfing everybody and then maybe eventually releasing Ascension content, likely years later?

You're literally making up an entire argument that is based on literally nothing at all other than your own uninformed opinion based assumptions.

I complain about nerfs. If they add something and it's not retarded and isn't a nerf, you won't hear me bitching about it, even if I don't benefit from it. And Estild and Naijin are about to heavily nerf just about everyone and make combat almost certainly boring and tedious.

Tired of playing "end-game"... guess what... there is a whole lot of game to still play. Just make an alt and PLAY if you want to play.
    I have 4 capped characters. I've done all that. You're implying that I'm only playing this game to make money. You're also wrong again, as the secondary market isn't going to have any effect as to whether I continue to play GS or not. The money is a side effect, not a motivating factor for playing to begin with. Not to mention, barring something really extreme like Jahmilli, it breaks down to extremely piss poor numbers when broken down by the hour. Working part time for minimum wage is worth more per hour. Illegal immigrants picking apples or whatever probably have a better hourly rate too.

Putting in a loot cap to nerf 1 person is pretty much the stupidest thing ever too, since the "over 1 billion silvers a month" narrative is what gave us this loot cap to begin with, and nobody else was even coming close to those numbers. So of course Simu is going to address that in the absolute stupidest way possible.

You literally have what? 3 billion fame? Fully maxed on every damn ability there is?
    Fully maxing out every ability is pointless OCD bullshit. That said, I probably would be maxed by now had I not switched everything over to Ascension when that came out. Not that it matters though, because after roughly 30m or so exp, every skill you're training in is useless that will most likely never get used at all. Pretty sure I'll never find any use for Demonology lore as a wizard, for example.

That said, the only reason there is anyone in GS who has reached true cap (Kaedra, Roblar, and Vyrshkana I'm pretty sure) is almost certainly because they had nothing else to do. I doubt Roblar at any point in time was like "I can't wait to get more water lore!" Ascension gives some hope to this, but like I said earlier, I'll be shocked if we ever see anything past common tier.

And you want a whole company to worry about adding shit to entertain you when you are an extreme example? They can cater to 85% of the player-base and hope to wrangle in a few more, or they can cater to the 15% like yourself.
    Not including locker characters, which are usually level 0 or 1, I can almost guarantee you that there are more level 100 characters in GS than there are characters at any other specific level, and that number will continue to grow as more time goes on.

They'll defer to you of course, because you all kept this thing going.. but don't pretend your extremes are normal.
    Don't pretend this game existing in 2021 is normal either. But Estild and Naijin are hard at work to fix that from the looks of things.

TLDR: While it might apply to others, your assumption that farming/selling silvers is the reason why I play GS is wrong. The loot cap is still stupid as fuck though, because even when you're not selling silvers (market sucks right now anyway), finding loot is still fun, and not finding loot is super boring.

Also TLDR: Simu wants its players to pay 5 star prices prices for "I know a guy who can do it cheaper" (volunteer spare time GMs) content.
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

I'll never understand how adamantly opposed they seem to be to creating more capped hunting areas. They make it seem like this impossible ordeal and throw up roadblocks to progress to the point that you get one new area per decade. More people are capping all the time. I have 3 capped characters now, I had 1 before Covid. I can't be the only person in that scenario. "Congrats you're level 100, now hunt level 96 things until 40m exp or you quit from boredom" lmao like fam just fucking copy/paste Nelemar and stick it in the bowels of Zul and give them demonic sounding names, congrats you made a new hunting area, it'll be a change of scenery and let people spread out a little. Do ANYthing. But nah, guess we need to make a level 40 FWI area? Cool cool, taking pressure off that huge level 40 bottleneck.

Quote Originally Posted by audioserf View Post
    I'll never understand how adamantly opposed they seem to be to creating more capped hunting areas. They make it seem like this impossible ordeal and throw up roadblocks to progress to the point that you get one new area per decade.
    Their argument was always "Woe is us! Creating a new hunting ground is difficult because we have to create new enemies, create new rooms, then test it to ensure everything works correctly. Just so much work!"

Maybe this argument would have worked 10+ years ago, but now with them creating new fancy items every couple of months to sell for cash, creating new paid event areas all the time, their reasoning starts to sound like bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by audioserf View Post
    I'll never understand how adamantly opposed they seem to be to creating more capped hunting areas. They make it seem like this impossible ordeal and throw up roadblocks to progress to the point that you get one new area per decade. More people are capping all the time. I have 3 capped characters now, I had 1 before Covid. I can't be the only person in that scenario. "Congrats you're level 100, now hunt level 96 things until 40m exp or you quit from boredom" lmao like fam just fucking copy/paste Nelemar and stick it in the bowels of Zul and give them demonic sounding names, congrats you made a new hunting area, it'll be a change of scenery and let people spread out a little. Do ANYthing. But nah, guess we need to make a level 40 FWI area? Cool cool, taking pressure off that huge level 40 bottleneck.
    I agree. Take Shan, tune numbers to level 100, add a couple more maneuvers that bandits use, plop them in a basic area somewhere in between Landing and Solhaven, boom. Another capped area.

Edit: or better yet, use the old Jantalar area in the Solhaven outlands that's been unused and empty since the early 2000's, /w a basic storyline about the elder Shan wanting to take it as an outpost, etc.
    Last edited by BLZrizz; 04-29-2021 at 03:36 PM.
    Discord: Jivan#1805

Take a look:

https://gstowncrier.com/special_repo...hangelog-2019/

https://gstowncrier.com/special_repo...hangelog-2020/

Nothing at all there? Nothing good? If you want to bitch, fine.. keep bitching.. but at least be truthful in your assessment.. you want them to cater to you.. guess what.. they probably will... because you're the "oh so great Methais".

I dislike a lot of things they do, but I'll at least give credit when it's due.. and they've done a lot the past few years for "end-game" and the game as a whole.
    I'm not sure what point you think you're making here by linking the entire dev list from 2019 and 2020 when the only thing in either link that has anything to do with end game is releasing Ascension common tier from the 2020 list, which I've already covered.

Please point out what it is that I'm missing from those links. Unless bug fixes and things like that are end game now or something. What am I not being truthful about again? Be specific. You do understand what "end game" means right? Because fixing a bug in a level 37 area or introducing grooming kits for mounts isn't it, along with 99.9999999999999999999% of everything else listed in both of those links. Literally everything except "Ascension common tier released in all instances," which I've already covered anyway, has nothing to do with end game. If I missed something, please point it out to me, because I'm not seeing what it is that you're getting all huffy puffy with me over.

you're the "oh so great Methais"
    This is correct.
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.

Some excellent points Methais - not autoreplying because would be to long so will just go issue by issue:

-Agree - it does feel like some ideas from WoW (other mmos) are being implemented. I'm all for the input and criticism as they make changes. Not all of them are good and some could be adjusted. But, I believe this game is more than end-game whereas WoW is all about endgame. That's just a perspective difference between you and I, and why I think it is a bad comparison.

-For endgame in the past few years, they added the Open Sea Adventures, the undead thing that scales, the elemental confluence that scales, been very proactive in storylines which things are scaled for endgame the majority of the time, Ascension for better customization and from what I understand, they have a whole new area being released with PSM 3 (I could be off on that, but thought read that). That's pretty good for the past couple of years. Could more be done? Sure. Does that mean they've done nothing? No.

-100% agree they should pay Devs.

-I 100% agree they should have been developing over the years. I was also around and the lack of development for a lot of those years was abysmal. It doesn't mean I won't give the current development being done the respect it deserves though.

-Agree it's going to be a shock to the system with the changes. I suppose it's a perspective thing, as I see the changes as a chance to allow the game to continue to grow as opposed to the idea they're doing it to fuck over people. On one hand you're calling for changes, they're making changes, and you say they're "taking a sledgehammer to everything that people have done for decades". Well which is it you want? Change or no change? Or could it be - people just want easy hunting like they've had for 20+ years and actually having to modify their hunting patterns might interfere with their XP/Money gain? Knowing this community, I lean towards the latter. I could be wrong though.

-100% agree that the rewards need to scale better for those that take risks at endgame. The loot cap is absurd IMO and the rewards should be scaled up. I do like the newer "epic items" they're dropping into the hopper with announcements. Hopefully they listen to the community and fix the loot at cap issue.

-On RP/storylines I can understand your perspective, but at the same time the effort and consistency that the people have put into the storylines for people to enjoy can't be overlooked. Not saying it can't be improved upon, but at least there is some attempt at development and incorporation ingame. The timing thing is 100% correct though - seems more shit happens at 1am in the morning than any other time - makes me want to claw my eyes out sometimes.

-Are they nerfs? Will you still be able to kill something? Or will you just have to kill something a different way? Again, I come from the perspective of someone who doesn't feel the need to fill my characters head in 2 minutes, hunt while carrying 3000lbs of stuff with no fear, or looking to MA bot farm. So the "nerfs" are your perspective, not mine.

-I get your capped characters man, but we can be honest with it - that is extreme. I know you've been around awhile, optimize, etc... but you've been doing it a long, long time... just going to happen. I also agree maxing everything is "OCD bullshit" - but IMO so is having 4 100s, or 30m+XP. That's what you want to do - all good, but doesn't mean it's normal.

-The ascension thing, if they falter on that would be a huge failure. We agree there.

-Agree that this game in 2021 isn't normal either. The farming/selling thing might not apply directly to you - but let's be real - there are more than a handful it does.

-I've said in other threads, I think people should be able to play how they want. Loot cap = Bad. I believe SIMU fucked up the market with alternate currencies + linking those to the store, which put the secondary $ market on steroids. How do we fix that moving forward? Honestly don't think you can, so just design without them in mind - as they'll keep doing it no matter what is done. But they deserve recognition for having kept this game alive for so many years, not to be demonized.

We agree on a lot, just see the changes being incorporated from a different playstyle/perspective. Neither of us are 100% correct, but we're not 100% wrong either.

Quote Originally Posted by Methais View Post
    I'm not sure what point you think you're making here by linking the entire dev list from 2019 and 2020 when the only thing in either link that has anything to do with end game is releasing Ascension common tier from the 2020 list, which I've already covered.

Please point out what it is that I'm missing from those links. Unless bug fixes and things like that are end game now or something. What am I not being truthful about again? Be specific. You do understand what "end game" means right? Because fixing a bug in a level 37 area or introducing grooming kits for mounts isn't it, along with 99.9999999999999999999% of everything else listed in both of those links. Literally everything except "Ascension common tier released in all instances," which I've already covered anyway, has nothing to do with end game. If I missed something, please point it out to me, because I'm not seeing what it is that you're getting all huffy puffy with me over.

This is correct.
    I'm not getting huffy-puffy with you. I'm saying what I think, you're saying what you think and we have different perspectives.

One thing forgot in my other post: The changes they're making so that each class has a contributing service they can provide is HUGE in my opinion. I like the idea that we can work with one another to develop gear internally vs. only events they sponsor. I know that's not "end-game" per se, but it is a huge improvement for those at higher levels I think.
    Last edited by Shaps; 04-29-2021 at 04:03 PM.

Methais you got me thinking about the RP storylines; gave me an idea:

What about something like would be included:

-Storyline starts (let's say Devs have it laid out for 8 weeks)
    -First event occurs; semi-scripted like all of them; the evening is ending
    -Upon that evening's event finishing the GM running the event that night posts a POLL to the in-game server providing 2 or 3 critical options for the direction the event should go.
    (During the timeframe until the next "event" for the Storyline - PLAYERS can VOTE on the POLL)
    -The next event that occurs in the Storyline - the GM takes the winning selection and takes the story in that direction.
    -Rinse/Repeat until event completion

This would allow greater community input into how the storyline should proceed, be it for good or evil :P - but still managed by the GMs/main protagonists because they create the options available.

Similar to Zork back in the day.

What think?
    Last edited by Shaps; 04-29-2021 at 04:13 PM.

Agree - it does feel like some ideas from WoW (other mmos) are being implemented. I'm all for the input and criticism as they make changes. Not all of them are good and some could be adjusted. But, I believe this game is more than end-game whereas WoW is all about endgame. That's just a perspective difference between you and I, and why I think it is a bad comparison.
    Ironically, I had more fun leveling up in WoW than I did doing end game content. But that's mainly because I hate forced group content. I don't mind grouping with people, I just don't want to be forced to in order to do anything meaningful.

-For endgame in the past few years, they added the Open Sea Adventures, the undead thing that scales, the elemental confluence that scales, been very proactive in storylines which things are scaled for endgame the majority of the time, Ascension for better customization and from what I understand, they have a whole new area being released with PSM 3 (I could be off on that, but thought read that). That's pretty good for the past couple of years. Could more be done? Sure. Does that mean they've done nothing? No.
    OSA isn't just for capped people. REIM is pay-to-play if I'm not mistaken. I'll give you the Confluence, which came out in 2015. That somehow slipped my mind despite "living" there for years . And I'd be fine with things if they continued doing it like that. I'm just really not looking forward to this massive PSM 3 change, and I fully expect pures to get annihilated by whatever nerfs Naijin dumps on us. Probably semis too, and if any of it does get fixed after, it probably won't be for quite a while, because that's just how things typically go in GS.

-I 100% agree they should have been developing over the years. I was also around and the lack of development for a lot of those years was abysmal. It doesn't mean I won't give the current development being done the respect it deserves though.
    It's difficult to have much respect for or faith in a dev team when they do things like create a new bolt spell, give it to a class that can't use it, insult our intelligence by justifying it with "Well if Savants ever did come out, [despite Simu already announcing that they're all but dead and not going to happen] they could use it," and then turn right around sell it as a SK item for cash at the next pay event, which was predicted ahead of time.

That's some shady used car salesman if-Tsin-was-a-GM shit right there.

I'd like to believe that Estild and Naijin have the game's best interest in mind, but I don't. Or maybe they do, and they're just really incompetent, despite being good coders. Either way, I expect this game to be a disaster by the time PSM3 and class nerfs are done, and I'll be pretty surprised if Ascension has more than common tier within the next few years, if ever. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Discord is also not good for this game, imo. You could open it up pretty much whenever and there's guaranteed to be people trying to sniff Estild's butthole at any given time. Discord is basically a gathering place for GM sycophants and yes men to suck off GMs all day in chat. Not that that's anything new to GS though. It's just easier for people to do it now. It's basically the officials, but in chat format. Plenty of "normal" people in Discord too, but I'm getting way off topic now and I don't feel like getting into a Discord rant.

Except for the part where they should also quit using Discord as their primary method of making announcements in some (most?) cases.

"What? You didn't know that X changed? It was mentioned in Discord at 3:38am, 3 Thursdays ago in the mechanics folder. Try to keep up, geez man."

-Agree it's going to be a shock to the system with the changes. I suppose it's a perspective thing, as I see the changes as a chance to allow the game to continue to grow as opposed to the idea they're doing it to fuck over people. On one hand you're calling for changes, they're making changes, and you say they're "taking a sledgehammer to everything that people have done for decades". Well which is it you want? Change or no change? Or could it be - people just want easy hunting like they've had for 20+ years and actually having to modify their hunting patterns might interfere with their XP/Money gain? Knowing this community, I lean towards the latter. I could be wrong though.
    Simu in general is notorious for being out of touch. To directly answer your "change or no change" question though...if the "change" is a net negative for the game, then no change is better. I view PSM 3 and upcoming class nerfs as a net negative for the game. Change for the sake of change usually turns out bad.

A big problem just in general with Simu is trust, simply due to their own track record over the years among various dev crews. And I don't have much hope that this massive sweeping PSM 3 change and likely mass nerfing of everyone but warriors isn't going to be a complete disaster, and we all know how Simu is usually quick to roll out nerfs, but extra slow to roll out adjustments and fixes to problems that their own changes have created from swinging the pendulum too far.

-100% agree that the rewards need to scale better for those that take risks at endgame. The loot cap is absurd IMO and the rewards should be scaled up. I do like the newer "epic items" they're dropping into the hopper with announcements. Hopefully they listen to the community and fix the loot at cap issue.
    That would be nice, but I have no expectation of this happening. They only use sledgehammers, not scalpels.

-Are they nerfs? Will you still be able to kill something? Or will you just have to kill something a different way? Again, I come from the perspective of someone who doesn't feel the need to fill my characters head in 2 minutes, hunt while carrying 3000lbs of stuff with no fear, or looking to MA bot farm. So the "nerfs" are your perspective, not mine.
    You can also kill pretty much anything casting only 901 or open ATTACKing with a dagger. But would you really want to? Would plinking away at something like that be fun for you? Because plinking seems to be the direction they're wanting to move combat in.

People also seem to forget/overlook the fact that in a graphical MMO, longer fights are more tolerable, because you have actual animations playing out on screen of what's happening.

In GS? You see:

You chop something's head off!

Roundtime: 5 seconds.

...wait 4 seconds.

...wait 2 seconds.

...wait 1 seconds.

etc.

-I get your capped characters man, but we can be honest with it - that is extreme. I know you've been around awhile, optimize, etc... but you've been doing it a long, long time... just going to happen. I also agree maxing everything is "OCD bullshit" - but IMO so is having 4 100s, or 30m+XP. That's what you want to do - all good, but doesn't mean it's normal.
    Technically, only my wizard and cleric have been mine from 0-100. I leveled my rogue from 70-100 on just plinites after it was given to me by the original owner years after she quit, but I kinda leveled that one up a good bit too when she was rolled up. Long boring story. And my bard, I bought at level 95 for like 65m as a purify bot and eventually started hunting him regularly, and is at 13m now. So in reality I only have 2 (maybe 2.5 with the rogue thing) "earned" capped characters across 3 accounts. That's actually pretty mild compared to some of the crews running around.

I don't have anything against the concept of rolling alts in order to stay busy. And honestly if leveling wasn't such a slow process despite the buffs to exp over the years, I probably would play more alts. But I'd rather be playing my capped characters anyway, and I'm not going to open up another account just to level up an alt, and no thanks on F2P with all of its restrictions.

Ironically, the most effective way to level up in GS is to be actively playing GS as little as possible.

-The ascension thing, if they falter on that would be a huge failure. We agree there.

-Agree that this game in 2021 isn't normal either. The farming/selling thing might not apply directly to you - but let's be real - there are more than a handful it does.

-I've said in other threads, I think people should be able to play how they want. Loot cap = Bad. I believe SIMU fucked up the market with alternate currencies + linking those to the store, which put the secondary $ market on steroids. How do we fix that moving forward? Honestly don't think you can, so just design without them in mind - as they'll keep doing it no matter what is done. But they deserve recognition for having kept this game alive for so many years, not to be demonized
    Probably so. Regardless of why anyone farms, I always thought the Simu market and the secondary market complemented each other rather nicely. If they push farmers out of DR, for example, and/or eliminate the books for silvers market eventually via loot cap or whatever, I don't see that resulting in anything other than less overall DR participation. The books for silvers market isn't draining silvers from the game, but it's still generating Simucoin sales and it allows people to effectively convert silvers, despite the silvers not actually leaving the game. Remove people's ability to participate in DR using only silvers they farmed during the off season, and you're going to see DR participation go down with it. I dumped probably 200m into DR books last run that I would have otherwise not done at all.

We agree on a lot, just see the changes being incorporated from a different playstyle/perspective. Neither of us are 100% correct, but we're not 100% wrong either.
    Pretty much. I just don't have much faith in them to pull this off without it being a complete disaster that will never be completely fixed vs. just leaving combat mechanics alone for the most part and releasing new content in the form of new areas instead of sweeping changes to the entire combat system, with every profession in the game except apparently warriors being on the chopping block.
    Last edited by Methais; 04-29-2021 at 05:09 PM.

10. Default

I have a really hard time seeing that list getting completed. Isn't one small part of it similar to the combat engagement system? Which never happened at all. Not to mention the other 30-40 pages.