Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trump Lost Money During His Term

Arrow Trump Lost Money During His Term

Every investor at some point has kicked himself for holding an asset too long. Perhaps none, however, has made such a monumental miscalculation. By refusing to divest his portfolio upon taking office, Trump bogged down his presidency with ethics issues for years, while also missing a chance to cash in on a market boom he helped propel.

If he had sold everything on Day 1, paid the maximum capital-gains taxes on the sales, then put the proceeds into a conflict-free fund tracking the S&P 500, Trump would have ended his presidency an estimated $1.6 billion richer than he is today.

As is, he is worth an estimated $2.4 billion, enough to qualify for No. 1,299 on the Forbes billionaires list, down from No. 1,001 last year. Trump is actually richer than he was a year ago, when we knocked valuations down at the start of the pandemic, but he couldn’t keep up with the other billionaires on the list, whose fortunes soared.

Below are the four Trump properties that gained the most and the two that lost the most while he was in office.

More...
    Trump is going to be furious about this article! Forbes had better be glad Trump no longer has a Twitter account. Because if he did, we'd be entertained for days. Without that Twitter account, we can only imagine. Trump kept things interesting.
    There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.

It must suck to be worth only $2.4 billion.
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

Imagine a person who entered politics and left poorer than before.

Is Trump the first and only one? More than likely.

Imagine a person who wasn't doing it for the money.

But...but but but I thought Trump was cashing in on being president and was selling the presidency to Russia and China?

Imagine actually linking this article thinking you're going to make Trump look bad. "Bill Clinton became filthy because of his time in office! Obama also became filthy rich because of his time in office! But that dumb Trump, he doesn't even know how to use the office of the president to enrich himself! LOL!"

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    But...but but but I thought Trump was cashing in on being president...
    That's because he was, and there's a million concrete examples of how, and you apparently spent the last four years under a rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01
    Imagine actually linking this article thinking you're going to make Trump look bad. "Bill Clinton became filthy because of his time in office! Obama also became filthy rich because of his time in office! But that dumb Trump, he doesn't even know how to use the office of the president to enrich himself! LOL!"
    Imagine thinking that the numerous concrete examples of Trump self-dealing are somehow magically erased by the fact that his businesses suffered from the same economic damage the nation endured from the pandemic. "Trump COULDN'T have been self-dealing if he lost money overall!"

Your
    • inability to think
    • ignorance of how Obama made his money (as an author, not self-dealing from public coffers)
    • wish to imply the Clintons must have surely done the same as Trump did (without you actually bothering to lay out how that's the case)

doesn't absolve Trump of his misdeeds.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    But...but but but I thought Trump was cashing in on being president and was selling the presidency to Russia and China?

Trump donated his salary as President ($400K/year, so $1.6 million total) to various government agencies. Strange that I never heard the TV media mention this fact, even once, despite all the time they were devoting to discuss how he was so evil and corrupt.
    Last edited by Candor; 04-06-2021 at 02:36 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shaps View Post
    Imagine a person who entered politics and left poorer than before.

Is Trump the first and only one? More than likely.

Imagine a person who wasn't doing it for the money.
    Harry S Truman and his wife received the first Medicare Cards.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote Originally Posted by Candor View Post
    Trump donated his salary as President ($400K/year, so $1.6 million total) to various government agencies. Strange that I never heard the TV media mention this fact, even once, despite all the time they were devoting to discuss how he was so evil and corrupt.
    Trump's salary being donated is far outweighed by the money his self-dealing took in. He went to Trump properties 280+ times in four years, charging the Secret Service for rooms while they stayed, reimbursement for food, etc. The total cost to the government is in the hundreds of millions, and the payments to Trump properties directly are in the millions, far more than his salary.

Seeing your statement, though, the fact that he donated his actual salary appears to have accomplished its goal.
    Last edited by Ashliana; 04-06-2021 at 02:43 PM.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Ashliana View Post
    Trump's salary being donated is far outweighed by the money his self-dealing took in. He went to Trump properties 280+ times in four years, charging the Secret Service for rooms while they stayed, reimbursement for food, etc. The total cost to the government is in the hundreds of millions, and the payments to Trump properties directly are in the millions, far more than his salary.

Seeing your statement, though, the fact that he donated his actual salary appears to have accomplished its goal.
    Not really - I was just pointing out that the media never mentioned the donation while I was watching them.

You of course realize that there are similar expenses with other Presidents?

Having said that, I do have issues with the number of times Trump visited his properties while President. It's not like I never expected it to happen - being President is an incredibly stressful job and some downtime is essential. But I agree that the number of trips to his properties was high and there were less expensive options, the most obvious being Camp David.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashliana View Post

And yet his wealth STILL went substantially down. Hummm . . . It's almost as if your retarded "facts" are countered by the overall fact that he lost a shit ton of money while POTUS.
    I asked for neither your Opinion,
    your Acceptance
    nor your Permission.

"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." Dante Alighieri 3
    "It took 2000 mules to install one Jackass." Diamond and Silk Watch the Movie