Thread: How to Cleric

1. Default How to Cleric

Hello all,

I apologize in advance if my questions are too generic, but I'm really confused about 'cleric-ing'.

I usually play squares, so the whole finger-waggler thing is new to me, but I'm interested in creating a cleric.

I see on the GSwiki guide that there are some default builds for bolters, warders, rescuers, etc. Why are they separated out like that? Is it too TP intensive to specialize in all 3? Ideally, I'd like to do all 3 (of course), but if I can't, I'd at least like to be a rescue/support cleric (raising at 18, full chrisms, fogging, etc) without gimping my attack skills too much.

Spells...how should I be training them up as I level? Should I be 2x'ing or 3x'ing this?

What about lores? What should I be picking up and in what order?

I'd like to bane the living, but still be Liabo-aligned (guess that's Charl), but I suppose I could RP a neutral or evil cleric. What spells do my alignment most affect?

If I'm missing any other obvious considerations, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks so much!

I think it makes sense now for clerics to 2x spell aim with any build, it helps with one of their neat new spells 309. I'm also a big fan of web bolt (20 ranks of summoning lore).

Before level 20 you have quick skill retraining, so you can do things like rearrange your spells to get all of your buff spells when you are buffing up. Then retrain to cleric spells your level +21 for CS, pick up religion lore, etc for your hunt. Spell aim early leveling is also useful for wands.

At 20, for myself I'd try to get 20 in every spell list, 2x spell aim if possible, then look at lores. If you want to raise you might want 40 in cleric so you'd probably have to drop spell aim and lores and would have to pick and choose probably on your other lists (also lets you bless magic metals). Keep your level in PF, AS, MIU, HP, SMC (24 if you want to raise), Perception, like 10 each in Climb/Swim depending on where you hunt.

I'd prioritize spells above anything else to get 120, 219, 320 at level 20 if possible ... after that pick up spell aim 2x and levels after that dump into 300's to level +21 .. then start filling out the 100's/200's.

That's strictly for hunting power though, for your wanting to to be a rescue cleric at 18 ... you'll be dragging people so go with a strong race. You'd need to drop spell aim, get up to 340 and SMC 24, pick and choose what 100's/200's you can afford, I don't think you can afford any lores. It jibes fairly well with a warding hunting build though.

For 100% chrism lores, well I just don't think its possible early on without hurting your hunting power and your base raising needs (340 for the best raise).

Blog Entries

I see on the GSwiki guide that there are some default builds for bolters, warders, rescuers, etc. Why are they separated out like that? Is it too TP intensive to specialize in all 3? Ideally, I'd like to do all 3 (of course), but if I can't, I'd at least like to be a rescue/support cleric (raising at 18, full chrisms, fogging, etc) without gimping my attack skills too much. They are seperated out with the intention of maximizing those specific builds. That being said you will still be able to save folks even if your build is focused on warding you just may not have full chrisms *which unless you have a bard who orbs gems I wouldn't even really bother tricking that out early on anyhow*

Spells...how should I be training them up as I level? Should I be 2x'ing or 3x'ing this? If you are warding the common method is +21 cleric spells to maximize your CS threshold. Early on it is difficult to 3x or 2.5x. I think I wasn't going ham on the 3x model until my 70s when the TP really opened up for me but I also had gotten rid of spell aiming at the point. Depending on your wants or needs some milestone spells would be 225 *if you want to zoom out to rescue folks*, 130 *to fog to town, but depending on society not due or die* and a big one I enjoyed was 350 once I could use it. 230, 240 and 140 are all legit but you won't have the mana capacity to use those routinely. Oh and 335 is also pimp in a pinch with multiple mobs. I did not have 240 and 140 together until around late 70s-80 and 240 is what I delayed the longest. I was close to 123-126 cleric base by 80 or so to really stomp on my CS coming close to cap which helped out because in the early 70s my CS was just a teeny touch low, and 3-4 CS was make or break for ease of hunting. Oh I forgot 340!!! 340 is rediculous IMO. You can make a talisman that you can chant to for minimum I think 3 charges where it gives you +CS/AS. I use this all the time on dangerous creature mobs.
    Find yourself some good influence enhancives and wisdom enhancives to boost your +CS/AS. I get close to +30 right now and get 4 charges. If you have any other characters you can align them to your deity and hand them out and they can make use of them too *ideal for spiritual folks, the elementals only get truehand but that is still pimp*

What about lores? What should I be picking up and in what order? This is a matter of what path you choose. If you plan on bolting I would pick up 20 summoning lore for web bolt. You could do 30 religion for 306 plasma on living but honestly 306 is whelming at best IMO. If you go the chrism route the WIKI gives you the exact breakdowns for minimum chrism making ability but like I mentioned above juice isn't worth the squeeze in my opinion. 10 ranks of summoning is nice for untrammel self-buff. I walked around in the Citadel stomping on webs with that bad boy and never *still don't* have issues with webs. Those are the standouts for lore really. If you plan to stay CS casting you can pump up religion for 302 and in the future 317 but honestly lore is something you can kind of avoid if you want to really kick ass with CS

I'd like to bane the living, but still be Liabo-aligned (guess that's Charl), but I suppose I could RP a neutral or evil cleric. What spells do my alignment most affect? 306 will probably not be something you would use much, everything else you can utilize fine against the living. I will say I didn't need any Spell Aiming for 309 because I would 301 casting UD and then 309 and poof its over. That may be a littl more mana intensive if you are using 214 (which will have a lower CS than 301 becuase of spell circle prioritization) or even 311/316.
    Last edited by Orthin; 04-04-2021 at 03:06 PM. Reason: tweaked some things
    Discord - Arrolus#0270

Follow my farm - Cool Story Farm on facebook and Instagram!

Arrolus - Monk
    Aromos - Cleric