Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: New Hardware and status on lag and invoker

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AnOrdim View Post
    Building your own server, much like someone building their own computer, leaves you to deal with each part manufacturer separately if something breaks. In a home environment this is usually fine because you are accepting your own personal level of fault tolerance and downtime. In a business, you are impacting your bottom line and your customers. The parts described could easily be replicated in a very cost-effective build from HP or Dell with a matching 3 year + 2 hour response time onsite warranty, meaning if something breaks they will usually be able to get a replacement part onsite the same day and get things going again. I also don't see, but this doesn't mean it doesn't exist on the box, any out of band support access such as ILO or IDRAC that allows someone to remotely manage a server even if turned off.
    Everything you stated is absolutely true.

However, I think you're downplaying the costs of the hardware and support, overstating the benefits. The conversion of a one-time build charge to not only have a more expensive initial build through a particular party, but then adding in a continued maintenance cost. The next-best-alternative to the hardware contracts by having a GM within range to provide onsite support, which they already have on their payroll. With the comparative costs, they could afford having a few additional components on hand and configured to swap in case of a particular drive outage. Once again, you're right, this is cheaper on two fronts... and I realize the margins are thinner now than they used to be 5 years ago, but boutique computers, especially in the enterprise space, can run at 2x on the initial build, with 5-10% additional per month depending on service provider on an ongoing basis. The difference in costs could be used to reserve a few additional components for on-site support. Additionally... support isn't always supporting and helpful.... I'll just leave it at that.

Secondly, your statements also imply there's no redundancy in either the physical or logical layers, and any individual component crash results in an outage or loss. I'd be surprised if this is the case with seemingly identical architectures.

Ideally though, your assertions are 100% spot on... however, I think in this particular use case, their position is defendable.

>forage for snapdragon stalk
    d100(Open): -251
    You stumble about in a fruitless attempt at foraging.

1/6/2014: Setheve completes the promotion ritual and says, "Congratulations, Whirlin, for achieving Guild Master status! We trust you'll serve your guild well."
    1/11/2014: Grandmaster Alchemist
    1/14/2014: Capped, and got Loralaii killed by a GM.
    7/11/2016: Founded the Hand of the Arkati
    9/20/2016: T5 on my bow (Thanks to Isola)... Managed as far as T4 myself.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlin View Post

However, I think you're downplaying the costs of the hardware and support, overstating the benefits. The conversion of a one-time build charge to not only have a more expensive initial build through a particular party, but then adding in a continued maintenance cost. The next-best-alternative to the hardware contracts by having a GM within range to provide onsite support, which they already have on their payroll. With the comparative costs, they could afford having a few additional components on hand and configured to swap in case of a particular drive outage. Once again, you're right, this is cheaper on two fronts... and I realize the margins are thinner now than they used to be 5 years ago, but boutique computers, especially in the enterprise space, can run at 2x on the initial build, with 5-10% additional per month depending on service provider on an ongoing basis. The difference in costs could be used to reserve a few additional components for on-site support. Additionally... support isn't always supporting and helpful.... I'll just leave it at that.

Secondly, your statements also imply there's no redundancy in either the physical or logical layers, and any individual component crash results in an outage or loss. I'd be surprised if this is the case with seemingly identical architectures.

Ideally though, your assertions are 100% spot on... however, I think in this particular use case, their position is defendable.
    Well thought out and meaningful responses have no place round these parts feller’ this here’s the PC!
    Discord - Arrolus#0270

Follow my farm - Cool Story Farm on facebook and Instagram!

Arrolus - Monk
    Aromos - Cleric

Quote Originally Posted by Orthin View Post
    Well thought out and meaningful responses have no place round these parts feller’ this here’s the PC!

Quote Originally Posted by Berost View Post
    Berost I love your profile pic. Now that is a Dwarf. /salute

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlin View Post

I went through the portals I have to spec stuff out and was having a hard time even finding a true rack mount server with that particular processor. It is mostly available in workstation configurations as the name implies. So I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say they did their homework and determined that the best-case scenario for performance was the highest clock speed processor they could get within a certain price range. Compared to the Bronze/silver/gold/platinum level Xeon "scalable" server processors, the W-2245 has a much higher core and boost speed at a fraction of the cost. There certainly are a lot of unknowns, but let's say they were to employ a clustered environment. I think that just reinforces my point, particularly with the consumer-grade SSDs. The controllers are not designed for proper RAID features and while yes they will probably work, that doesn't mean you should be doing it that way. That's not even getting into if they actually bought a proper RAID controller card or are just going to use the software RAID controller that comes with the board. I'm not seeing a capable RAID controller on that board anywhere. We also have little to no information, that I have access to anyway, on what OS they will be running etc to know if clustering is possible to provide any redundancy.

To be clear, I think the hardware is fine on paper and would be a perfectly serviceable garage server or testing environment for a business. But I would never put something like that into production let alone an internet-facing service that generates revenue. Even the budget parts total can be argued to not be "cheap" but when you are charging a subscription with multiple tiers on top of frequent direct-purchase events I would have expected a little more invested into the foundation of the house. This is all coming from the same company that has consistently been unable to replace their SSL cert in a timely fashion before it expires.

You stupid piece of shit.
    Last edited by AnOrdim; 03-25-2021 at 04:16 PM.

Blog Entries

You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    The peanut gallery was getting restless so I tossed them a bone.

Quote Originally Posted by Orthin View Post
    QUICK, CALL HIM A DICK OR SOMETHING BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!!!

EDIT:

Nevermind.
    Last edited by Methais; 03-25-2021 at 04:27 PM.
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Burrell View Post
    Dude, I was put into 20-second RT because when SIMUCOIN DELIVER'ing + receiving Store items was (according to the GMs) creating an inordinate amount of screamers. I don't want to upset the powers that be, so I've been doing CONSIDER {self} twice, between each delivery, lol. I don't want to give them a headache, but maybe this was one of the things, discussed, that will hopefully be fine-tuned. Alright.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    As a former member of staff, set off all the fucking screamers you can. They need to fix that shit.
    Ahhh, not so sure I want to set off all the screamers (I have a few that SORT with my buggy Skellie absolutely makes miserable for the higher-ups.)

And of course, the time I was trying to swim into Hisskra's and while under water, swimming was causing screamers because I had a Paladin-bonded weapon on me and I was like, "lol. Time to drown."

I would be curious to *know* which ones are still there, but I don't want to be thrown into the abyss by the GameMasters. And then be eaten by a Grue. That's how that happens I think.

Also, I fucked up the quote tag placement in this post and am too lazy to fix it. Bye.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anticor
    If you and Jar Jar Binks had a child it would rule the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Burrell
    Wikka wikka my nikka yo yo yo yo: CHECK IT. Tha thang in the thang and bedump bedump da BEBANG knowwhatIsayin?!

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Burrell View Post
    I would be curious to *know* which ones are still there
    I've heard the morphing runestaves (that can morph into wristlets, belts, etc.) are broken enough to send screamers out... I'm tempted to try, but don't want the GM-slapdown. heh
    ~Crazy Cat Lady, Player of Cylnthia~