Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Hardware and status on lag and invoker

Default New Hardware and status on lag and invoker

http://forums.play.net/forums/GemSto...ents/view/3791

Found the invoker interesting
    We are getting closer to our new servers.

https://i.imgur.com/m76G1xY.png

We're looking at tentatively March 31st for when the swap will take place. We'll post for sure when that's a bit more locked in, as there will be significant downtime (between 4 and 8 hours as long as it all goes smoothly.

I just want to take a moment to go over everything we have done in the last few weeks. We've been monitoring our systems, which create a little bit of lag, but we've been able to find areas where the game was bogged down. We've tweaked several major systems and introduced the invoker so that we could measure metrics on our spells, as this was one of the areas we tried to improve performance.

We increased efficiency in a number of areas that reduced strain (which resulted in lag) on the game. There are still areas needing improvement, but we're a long ways from what we were seeing in January and February. I realize that everyone has different experiences, but strictly talking about in-game lag, it's not happening as often as it was. There are a number of areas where lag will still occur. Rooms with many players, the command queue, movement, and the room window. Localized lag is a thing, like the front end crashing or freezing. There were also a number of ISP related issues this month that cropped up. We also had some server work going on (the Store, website, etc). We will continue to work on these areas where we can to improve the game for everyone.

As for the invoker, it was put out, unannounced, to see how it would go. This being out all the time is not a permanent feature. It will move toward a schedule when it comes around and possible only be around for special cases. It will not be anything behind the SimuCoin Store.

I'll post more across our platforms (and email) when we know more about our scheduled downtime.
    I don't want the world; I just want your half.
    Discord BigNasty#8519

As for the invoker, it was put out, unannounced, to see how it would go. This being out all the time is not a permanent feature. It will move toward a schedule when it comes around and possible only be around for special cases. It will not be anything behind the SimuCoin Store.
    At least they made an announcement on the invoker. I think the lack of an announcement is what was driving most people crazy.

I think they could have also avoided a lot of ill will if they just came right out and said all of this from the very beginning: There are many issues with the game, we are trying to improve those issues, and we will monitor the changes we made to see how things work out and see if there is still room for improvement.

Simutronics seems to have a long history of getting it wrong the first time but eventually getting it right.
    Last edited by Tgo01; 03-23-2021 at 09:23 PM.

Blog Entries

Didn't they upgrade servers a couple years ago?

I guess we'll see how this plays out. If the core issue is with GSL will this really do much?
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    I guess we'll see how this plays out. If the core issue is with GSL will this really do much?
    Probably a "trying to heal a dead horse as if it's still alive" kind of strategy. Can't really hurt, might do some small good.

Didn't they upgrade servers a couple years ago?

Last upgrade was in 2015. I don’t know jack about servers but I assume hardware has improved markedly since then.
    Discord: Jivan#1805

"I assume hardware has improved markedly since then"

All new servers are tier 5 with max unlocks
    Your mind is completely fucked. It is imperative that you unfuck immediately!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BLZrizz View Post
    Last upgrade was in 2015. I don’t know jack about servers but I assume hardware has improved markedly since then.
    It improved markedly over the 26 years between 1989 and 2015, too. I don't think hardware is the bottleneck though, at least as far as server upgrades are concerned.
    Last edited by Taernath; 03-23-2021 at 10:45 PM.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

The few whales this past DR probably paid Simu more than enough for new servers. So.... thank you whales???....I guess you're good to keep around for something.
    Last edited by drumpel; 03-24-2021 at 12:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    At least they made an announcement on the invoker. I think the lack of an announcement is what was driving most people crazy.

I think they could have also avoided a lot of ill will if they just came right out and said all of this from the very beginning: There are many issues with the game, we are trying to improve those issues, and we will monitor the changes we made to see how things work out and see if there is still room for improvement.

Simutronics seems to have a long history of getting it wrong the first time but eventually getting it right.
    Literally what they've said. The entire time. Like almost verbatim, but yeah sure i guess you showed them.
    Mithrilschlong, 2015-03-10 to slightly later on 2015-03-10. You will not be forgotten!
    usable Meteor Swarm, late 2020-12-30 to early 2020-12-31. You will also not be forgotten!

It improved markedly over the 26 years between 1989 and 2015, too. I don't think hardware is the bottleneck though, at least as far as server upgrades are concerned.
    For less than the price of rift boots they can pay a small team of Indian Comp Sci PhDs to rewrite and optimize the entire code, probably.
    Discord: Jivan#1805