Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Officia: Feedback Request: Sorcerer Updates

1. Default Officia: Feedback Request: Sorcerer Updates

Hi All - We are looking for feedback on a series of proposed changes to the sorcerer class and spell circles. Changes are oulined in the linked document.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

We look forward to the feedback!

Zissu - Combat and Magic Systems Dev Lackey
    Found on official forums here: http://forums.play.net/forums/GemSto...et_newest=true

Blog Entries

If they keep taking WoW mechanics I wonder if they'll open themselves up to a lawsuit.

I'm maybe 75% kidding.
    Last edited by Taernath; 03-18-2021 at 12:13 AM.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

3. Default

TLDR version;

Last edited by Skeletor; 03-18-2021 at 08:43 AM.

While I've enjoyed many of the changes the last year, i'm really unsure about this update and the combat update. Surface level it does seem kind of goofy how similar these things are to WoW, but until I see it implemented I wont pass judgement.

This sorc update just really doesn't make much mechanical or profession fantasy sense to me. While the spells are kind of neat in theory I don't see how you can focus on four DOTs, three of which are significantly mana-intensive (710,716,718) to make a cohesive hunting strategy. I can't imagine anything will live long enough to want to spend mana ramping that all up, even if there is a chance to spread it out. One thing that may be nice is the diversity of options it brings, kind of like what clerics got with their update.

In terms of profession fantasy I just think the undead summoning options are lame. I think the demons are neat, but undead have a pretty specific lore niche in Gemstone and at least unofficially people have spent some time very clearly differentiating between sorcerers animating a body (i.e. I control these vessel like a puppet) versus you're an undead creature with a soul still attached. I liked the differentiation and I'm not really fond of the idea of sorcerer's being involved in 'traditional' gemstone undead. Also for what its worth I think the 706 chains thing is dumb...outer space chains? Seriously? There's so many more interesting ways they could do that. Isn't there a bunch of lore about a specific valence where time speeds up or slows down drastically and unpredictably? Make it about that somehow speeding the DOT application. Weird personal thing, I just find the chains incredibly stupid.

If I actually wanted to be constructive the only thing I'd add is that I hope the minor summoning spell creates an actual, targetable creature. The 750 spell specifically says those creatures can be attacked and count for FoF, and I hope the same is true for the minor version and that the summons aren't just flavor text for a DOT spell. I think that'd be an interesting and novel way to help sorcerers with defense ... give their enemies a ton of other targets to aim at.

Feel like an asshole being so negative. I've always wanted to want to play a sorcerer, but have found them boring in practice. This update doesn't do much for me.
    Last edited by Nosh; 03-18-2021 at 10:17 AM.

I don't run my sorcerer around much, but 709 is his - and probably a lot of other sorcerers - main crowd control spell. Shifting it to SMRv2 is going to suck - it means things will be heavily weighted towards caster level vs target level.

Right now my level 71 sorcerer hunts yeti, dwellers and lesser minos. These creatures being like level or slightly over him he gets pretty good results with 709 pulling things down. I can guarantee that once the spell is shifted to SMRv2, his success rate will plummet, not to mention how much rolls can sway one way or the other under SMRv2....sucks getting a bunch of negative rolls or low end rolls in a row when casting 917....we'll see the same results with 709.
    Last edited by drumpel; 03-18-2021 at 10:20 AM.

Comparing these proposed changes to the recent Ranger changes, I can give these sorc changes a resounding Meh.

Looks...interesting...

Blog Entries

Have they released something like this for bards yet or is that still not out?
    Discord - Arrolus#0270

Follow my farm - Cool Story Farm on facebook and Instagram!

Arrolus - Monk
    Aromos - Cleric

Blog Entries

200 Necro ranks to have 3 skeletons swinging claidhmores.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    200 Necro ranks to have 3 skeletons swinging claidhmores.
    Probably prove to be too OP. They'll then change the skeleton's AS to be based on the sorcerer's AS from known weapon ranks and CM ranks.