Thread: Social Justice FTW!

Default Social Justice FTW!

https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/leg...il&val=hb5058+

https://www.wsls.com/news/local/2021...ty-violations/

I dislike getting pulled over by the cops as much as anyone... but this is nuts.

**Provides that no law-enforcement officer may lawfully stop a motor vehicle for operating (i) without a light illuminating a license plate, (ii) with defective and unsafe equipment, (iii) without brake lights or a high mount stop light, (iv) without an exhaust system that prevents excessive or unusual levels of noise, (v) with certain sun-shading materials and tinting films, and (vi) with certain objects suspended in the vehicle. No evidence discovered or obtained as a result of such unlawful stop shall be admissible in any trial, hearing, or other proceeding. The bill also provides that no law-enforcement officer may lawfully stop, search, or seize any person, place, or thing solely on the basis of the odor of marijuana, and no evidence discovered or obtained as a result of such unlawful search or seizure shall be admissible in any trial, hearing, or other proceeding.**

So - you can't stop them if their lights are out, or something is visibly defective. Sounds safe!
    So - you can't stop them if there is suspected marijuana use, which could potentially be an impaired driver. Sounds safe!
    So - found 3 unlicensed guns, 6kgs of crystal meth, and a stillborn baby in the trunk? To bad so sad!

If this logic applies, let's just get rid of the drinking and driving laws too. Why is alcohol not in this?

I'm not saying searches aren't abused by police officers - and any abuse of power should be investigated - but making it law so that visible safety violations, which could lead to harming someone else on the road, are no longer enforceable by all police is not the direction we should be going in my opinion.

But hey, social justice!

Edit: Now that I think about it though, time to buy a little parcel just over the Virginia line back up in the hills and get that moonshine distillery going. Hmmm...
    Last edited by Shaps; 03-03-2021 at 08:18 PM.