Thread: How fast memories fade

Default How fast memories fade

https://www.yahoo.com/news/biden-tel...013326126.html

*And Biden used the moment to warn about the need for a common strategy in pushing back at an Internet-fueled narrative, promoted by both Presidents Vladimir Putin of Russia and Xi Jinping of China, that the chaos surrounding the American election was another sign of democratic weakness and decline.

“We must demonstrate that democracies can still deliver for our people in this changed world,” Biden said, adding, “We have to prove that our model isn’t a relic of history.”*

I don't disagree with the idea he was trying to present, just the manner in which he did it. Using the phrase "prove that our model isn't a relic of history" denotes contrition it feels like.

They forget 80 years ago (damn already that long) - that Europe was a dumpster fire, Russia was destitute, and if the US hadn't stepped in everyone would be giving the 1 handed salute.

The concepts of the US are what allowed such prolific advances in all aspects of life (science, technology, transportation, etc.) so rapidly compared to the rest of human history - because the concept is based on the INDIVIDUAL, and the individuals innate power to govern themselves - Not be lorded over. I'm not saying there aren't bad parts to our history, but that was what the whole world was back then. The CONCEPTS themselves took time to foster and finally be realized.

That's what the US did - not the government - it's PEOPLE. The idea that each person should be allowed to live how they wish, and not told how they should.

Again, I get what he was trying to say - I just hope moving forward instead of being ashamed of our past, he applauds the difficult times that the PEOPLE of the US worked through to change and give people a chance. That inflection point was to short lived, and the powers that be wiggled their way back in to divide us based on a tribal system. Sad really, but as I said... memories fade fast.

Trying to lead from a position of contrition will not achieve the goals that he stated in the article.

Just my thought on it.
    Last edited by Shaps; 02-20-2021 at 06:16 PM.