Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Official: Reim Lag

My latest post on the officials:

Okay made all my changes and tested it out tonight and so far it's working pretty darn good.

My table never went above 120 and everyone was good about filtering to the second table when the main table reached 120.

Again I can't promise the table will never go above 120 because I can't stop other people from inviting, especially when people can invite themselves if they are on someone's friend list.

But overall it worked out really well. Hopefully this helps alleviate some of the issues the game is having.
    Let's see if this finally settles things or if the GMs bring up a whole new issue I have to tackle. I hope everyone sees that I am trying to be accommodating here. So far every time the GMs have come to me with an issue (or just threw me under the bus without discussing it with me first) I have always listened to their concerns and tried to address them as best as I can.

Really is hard to believe that all Wyrom had to do was send me a private message on Discord and be like "Hey can you make sure your tables never go above 120? We think it might be causing the lag" and this whole kerfuffle could have been avoided.
    Last edited by Tgo01; 02-18-2021 at 11:13 PM.

2. Default

"Really is hard to believe that all Wyrom had to do was send me a private message on Discord and be like "Hey can you make sure your tables never go above 120? We think it might be causing the lag" and this whole kerfuffle could have been avoided. "

That's not hard to believe, he's got a jealousy boner for you man
    Your mind is completely fucked. It is imperative that you unfuck immediately!

Quote Originally Posted by gilchristr View Post
    That's not hard to believe, he's got a jealousy boner for you man
    True dat.

Wyrom from officials:

After reviewing all the data for the week, we've decided it's in the game's best interest to limit tables to 100. We'll continue to monitor the situation if there is anymore fine-tuning needed. Other areas in the game that weren't allowing silencing that aren't the result of a GM-run event (storyline, merchant, quest, etc) will also be reviewed as situations come up.
    We have also reduced the overall number to 100 instead of 125, as the data we had showed the game getting in a bad state at 115. This is when the silence falls over a room.
    GMs:You're spelling too many people up at once! STOP IT!!! You're ruining it for everyone!

Me: Those numbers at the tables aren't when people are being spelled up.

GMs: Oh...well the problem is more than 125 people are at the table! STOP IT!!

Me: Okay, I've limited tables to 120 people.

GMs: Oh....okay......well we're still working on stuff on our end to see what we can do to help with the lag.

3 days later.

GMs: Okay so we've been monitoring the situation all week and the problem is more than 100 people in a room so we've limited table sizes to 100 and might have to lower it even further in the future.

If I didn't know any better I would say the GMs have no fucking clue what they are talking about and are just making up shit as they go along.

It's almost like Wyrom just threw out a random number of 125 to see if I would make changes to Dreavenings to conform with that number then once he saw I was willing to play ball he decided to just make that number even smaller.

6. Default

Personally, if the limit stops at just 100, I'd consider it a pretty good end result/compromise. The worst that can happen would be they keeping tweaking things to fix the issue and continue to lower the table limit below 100. The way you got things set up now, can someone who will mostly be afk while waiting for the spells choose to go to the second table (with Teburu) to help keep the main table at a lower number?

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    If I didn't know any better I would say the GMs have no fucking clue what they are talking about and are just making up shit as they go along.
    That's probably somewhat close to how it is. Game engine code is old and the GM guys who make up new scripted items for the events are probably not familiar with the game engine or the coding language used there itself. If I got to guess, a lot of the fixing of the lag issues is trial and error with them or some onsite guys they barely know trying things out and seeing if it makes a difference at all. Mix in the fact that at least some of the GMs involved, such as Wyrom, barely knows how a Dreavening's process works, and it explains a lot of the shifts in the narrative so far.

Estild came in with his fists swinging with that "...continue to disregard it now" post and I'm surprised at the GM silence over it despite multiple people bringing up that old thread with Wyrom giving you permission to go back to 60 characters per table. It looks very strange on their part to just sweep it under the carpet like that after a customer gets straight out accused of something untrue by them on their forums. It's actually made the accusation look less like an honest mistake and more of an intentional pretext for starting some rough crackdowns.
    Last edited by bunnymustdie; 02-21-2021 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bunnymustdie View Post
    The worst that can happen would be they keeping tweaking things to fix the issue and continue to lower the table limit below 100.
    That's what they are going to do. The number has already gone from 125+ to 100+ in a matter of days and the GMs have been looking for ways to shit all over Dreavenings for 2 years now.

That's what they are going to do. The number has already gone from 125+ to 100+ in a matter of days and the GMs have been looking for ways to shit all over Dreavenings for 2 years now.
    Clearly a conspiracy to keep the man down...

A number of GMs have spent numerous hours over the last week optimizing code to help resolve the issue.

We're also considering a NPC spell caster that would periodically show up quietly offer spells. It would allow players to get spells without having to gather up all at the exact same time, could do so quietly (similar with MANA SPELLUP), and would allow players more time to roleplay at events and only have to leave for a few seconds to get spells, then can return to participate.

GameMaster Estild
    I'm just glad Estild finally said the quiet part out loud.

"People are spending too much time roleplaying and having fun at Dreavenings!!!! We want to make sure people spend more time at GM events!"
    Last edited by Tgo01; 02-21-2021 at 10:09 PM.

I'm just glad Estild finally said the quiet part out loud.

"People are spending too much time roleplaying and having fun at Dreavenings!!!! We want to make sure people have more time having fun and roleplaying at GM events!"
    People roleplay at Dreavenings?

Honestly, I'm all for dreavenings and appreciate you doing them for everyone.

I think the biggest issue here that the GMs may have with it, is how accessible it is for everyone to run around spelled to the gills in such a short time. (I'm perfectly ok with it, but I could see from a Dev point of view how it may be a nuisance)

I'm really surprised they never introduced some sort of spell-up NPCs in the past...It's pretty easy to make like a damn "Wizened" NPC of each profession that offers their professional spells at some sort of cost I'm sure, and can even be automated. Although lately I've been on the fence about defensive spells themselves and how rather easily obtainable they are for those outside of the circles.

Minority I'm sure, but I'd love to see this game changed towards having most spells/abilities that offer some sort of "Buff" to be self cast only, with the exception of "Mass" spells. But for this to occur, every profession would likely need a rehaul to balance stuff so that one profession doesn't necessarily reign king against the rest.

I'd be perfectly fine for example if all Mage spells were self cast only, so long as say a Rogue can also obtain similar buffs through profession specific ways...Same would go for any profession...As long as in the end the bonuses are as close to an even playing field as possible as not to lean heavily towards one profession or the other.

Mages? Waggle your fingers to obtain various bonuses!
    Monks? Tap into your inner-self and meditate on things to obtain various bonuses!
    Rogues? Create trinkets and tonics to obtain various bonuses!
    Warriors? Twist and SHOUT, drinking the blood of your enemies to obtain various bonuses!

Meh, you get the idea..
    Last edited by Gizmo; 02-21-2021 at 10:12 PM.