Page 29 of 37 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Official: Reim Lag

Could part of the issue be... back in the day there were fewer scripts run by fewer people, and because of typing speed, commands to the system were slower overall - and therefore it caused less lag?

Whereas now hundreds of users at script speed is sending multiple commands to the system all at once causing bunching? A practical example/question: Would DR cause lag if no scripting were allowed in it and everyone had to type each individual command?

I'm not a computer expert, and not advocating in any way shape or form to remove scripts - just asking for a better understanding of it.
    Last edited by Shaps; 03-01-2021 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaps View Post
    Could part of the issue be... back in the day there were fewer scripts run by fewer people, and because of typing speed, commands to the system were slower overall - and therefore it caused less lag?

Whereas now hundreds of users at script speed is sending multiple commands to the system all at once causing bunching? A practical example/question: Would DR cause lag if no scripting were allowed in it and everyone had to type each individual command?

I'm not a computer expert, and not advocating in any way shape or form to remove scripts - just asking for a better understanding of it.
    I would imagine it would depend on what the command is.

If you're just doing INFO for example I imagine that doesn't strain the server too much, even if everyone in the game were doing it at the same time.

If however you're attacking a critter or moving through a room or LOOKing in a room with a bunch of players or items on the ground then yeah a script running through a hunting area is probably going to cause more strain on the system than someone manually walking through the hunting area as most people did back in the day.

Likewise back in the day even when there were ~2000 people logged on a lot of them were resting in TC, or chilling at a table, or talking with some friends at one of their private homes, etc. But when DR is on there are a lot of people who are just constantly spamming their attacks all at the same time, even if they aren't in the same room this is going to put strain on the server.

I would also imagine a company with the resources of Simutronics would have made some huge improvements with their servers of the decades, but of course that's just silly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post

If you're just doing INFO for example I imagine that doesn't strain the server too much, even if everyone in the game were doing it at the same time.

If however you're attacking a critter or moving through a room or LOOKing in a room with a bunch of players or items on the ground then yeah a script running through a hunting area is probably going to cause more strain on the system than someone manually walking through the hunting area as most people did back in the day.

Likewise back in the day even when there were ~2000 people logged on a lot of them were resting in TC, or chilling at a table, or talking with some friends at one of their private homes, etc. But when DR is on there are a lot of people who are just constantly spamming their attacks all at the same time, even if they aren't in the same room this is going to put strain on the server.

I would also imagine a company with the resources of Simutronics would have made some huge improvements with their servers of the decades, but of course that's just silly.
    Their new mech game was in the top ten for Popular Upcoming on Steam a few days ago.
    Last edited by Gelston; 03-01-2021 at 12:37 PM.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    Their new mech game was in the top ten for Popular Upcoming on Steam a few days ago.
    Are those run on the same servers as Gemstone or are they new ones? I would assume new ones and I have no idea on the inner workings of Gemstone servers.

Wild idea - what would it take to upgrade the servers? If they brought the game offline for a week and did a full server upgrade, would that benefit? Would it even be worth it from a cost/benefit ratio?

Blog Entries

I'm waiting for Simutronics to make a mage riding a dragon piloting a mech game.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

It looks kind of cool, I just don't think it's going to do too well considering there are FPS games out there like Overwatch, Counterstrike, Call of Duty, some others I'm forgetting.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shaps View Post
    Are those run on the same servers as Gemstone or are they new ones? I would assume new ones and I have no idea on the inner workings of Gemstone servers.

Wild idea - what would it take to upgrade the servers? If they brought the game offline for a week and did a full server upgrade, would that benefit? Would it even be worth it from a cost/benefit ratio?
    Probably using Steam server for that game. They've upgraded the servers in the past. Not really a noticeable difference.

It looks kind of cool, I just don't think it's going to do too well considering there are FPS games out there like Overwatch, Counterstrike, Call of Duty, some others I'm forgetting.
    If it is free with microtrans it'd probably do alright.
    Last edited by Gelston; 03-01-2021 at 01:09 PM.

Oh no. You just gave the GMs a new idea. They want to monetize things, right? They'll take this full mobile wannabe!

Now introducing COMBAT ENERGY!

Everyone gets 100 COMBAT ENERGY. Every creature killed reduces your COMBAT ENERGY by 1 point, this includes AOE spells that kills multiple targets (such as 950).

Don't you worry because COMBAT ENERGY does regenerate over time. Every 5 minutes your COMBAT ENERGY goes up by 1 point.

COMBAT ENERGY restoration potions can be purchased from the SimuCoin store for 1,000 coins!

Quote Originally Posted by drumpel View Post
    Oh no. You just gave the GMs a new idea. They want to monetize things, right? They'll take this full mobile wannabe!

Everyone gets 100 COMBAT ENERGY. Every creature killed reduces your COMBAT ENERGY by 1 point, this includes AOE spells that kills multiple targets (such as 950).

Don't you worry because COMBAT ENERGY does regenerate over time. Every 5 minutes your COMBAT ENERGY goes up by 1 point.

COMBAT ENERGY restoration potions can be purchased from the SimuCoin store for 1,000 coins!
    2 years ago I would see this as a joke, but honestly I wouldn't put it past the GMs at this point.

They've already done so much to "fix lag" and put a cap on how much silver people can earn, might as well go full free-mobile-game mode and introduce energy all while claiming they are doing this to fix the lag.

I can see the DR auction items already: "2 times per day you can instantly refill all of your energy!"
    Last edited by Tgo01; 03-01-2021 at 01:50 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by drumpel View Post

A lot of old muds did the monetization thing with skill points. You'd only get a certain number to traina day and then you'd have to wait or pay money to unlock more. None of those muds were ever as immersive or as large as GS though, yet they still had their players doing it.