Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Florida to Replace Teachers with Veterans

Lightbulb Florida to Replace Teachers with Veterans

Florida has 9,000 teacher vacancies it needs filled before the summer comes to a close and the new academic year begins. The state’s Department of Education announced last week that military veterans can now fill those roles.

More...
    Veterans will now receive a five-year voucher that allows them to teach in the classroom without typical accreditation or the necessary education requirements that other certified teachers must possess.

The move is part of an $8.6 million statewide initiative to provide careers and workforce training to veterans and their dependents.

“We owe the freedoms we enjoy as Americans to our military veterans, and I am focused on ensuring Florida is the best state in the nation for those who have served to find great jobs, start or grow businesses and support their families,” said Florida Governor Ron DeSantis in a statement. “Business is booming in Florida, and employers are looking for the leadership skills, training and teamwork military veterans bring to the workforce.”
    Is there any reason to think that veterans will be good at teaching?
    There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.

Blog Entries

You're way behind on this story.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    You're way behind on this story.
    Is there a new development? I searched but could not find anything new.
    There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeR View Post
    Is there a new development? I searched but could not find anything new.
    Yes, the new development is that it has been talked out already since this policy came out two months ago.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Emergency teaching certifications have been around forever. Get a certificate, get a teaching mentor, take accelerated classes while teaching and in about a year, you graduate with a Masters in Education, a teaching certificate, a year of experience and a job. Big deal.
    I asked for neither your Opinion,
    your Acceptance
    nor your Permission.

"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." Dante Alighieri 3
    "It took 2000 mules to install one Jackass." Diamond and Silk Watch the Movie

Florida has a doctor shortage too. They could solve it by giving veterans temporary doctor licenses.

In 2019, Florida was short nearly 4,000 physicians. By 2035, the physician shortage is expected to reach 18,000 due to a multitude of factors: population growth, an increased demand for medical attention from an aging population and physicians reaching retirement age.

More...

Florida has a doctor shortage too. They could solve it by giving veterans temporary doctor licenses.
    We get it, you hate veterans, most Democrats do.

I was in the military... I am an accredited instructor... Imagine having someone teach/instruct others that did it for 20+ years in real world scenarios... that developed, wrote, and edited coursework... that had to implement and ensure a proper educational/learning environment for personnel from all over the world...

I mean, who would ever want someone like that to teach others... right?
    Last edited by Shaps; 09-16-2022 at 11:23 AM.

False equivalence is false. One genuinely requires years of non-repetitive study and vast and diverse knowledge. The other requires about 36 semester hours of coursework of which about 12 hours are historical survey and irrelevant topics. Actual classes in education, how to teach and so forth are about 18 semester hours. If the Department of Education at my university hadn't been idiots, I could have tacked 1 year of classes onto my BS and had a BA in Education on top of my BS. But they chose being asses, could not answer basic questions like "Why do you have to take these in order over 2 years when they are not listed as pre-requisites for each other." There there is "Why do I need 2 semesters of teaching history and a semester of teaching music or PE (had to take one) when I will have a Science degree and am not in any way qualified or interested in either?" Yeah, wasn't the teaching shortage then like it is now but science was definitely in demand them.

I would rather have a veteran that wants to be in the classroom there than what they do now which is to pack classes to massive size or warehouse kids with babysitters (substitute teachers, many of which have less qualifications that what you are whining about).
    Last edited by ~Rocktar~; 09-16-2022 at 09:21 PM.
    I asked for neither your Opinion,
    your Acceptance
    nor your Permission.

"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." Dante Alighieri 3
    "It took 2000 mules to install one Jackass." Diamond and Silk Watch the Movie

This looks like a good time to post this video of Sam Kinison from SNL..