Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: How long?

Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    Its kind of a chicken or the egg thing. Yeah, sometimes you need violence to meet other violence, no doubt, but the initial violence is not the right way to solve problems. Just my opinion.
    It really isn't. We need violence to do just about everything. Even the simple act of eating your food is violent. Violence is a fundamental tool for survival. The sooner we can accept that, the sooner we can move onto the next part of it. How to properly utilize said tool and not just use it in the haphazard way we have been doing for thousands of years.
    [LNet]-GSIV:Lysistrata: "And I'm pretty perfect sooooo... What can I say. I'm dedicated. (To Jeril's cock.)"

Quote Originally Posted by Jeril View Post
    It really isn't. We need violence to do just about everything. Even the simple act of eating your food is violent. Violence is a fundamental tool for survival. The sooner we can accept that, the sooner we can move onto the next part of it. How to properly utilize said tool and not just use it in the haphazard way we have been doing for thousands of years.
    Really just curious more than anything else, what is your stance on fighting for fun, like consensual underground fight clubs, MMA, etc.?

On topic... I think if you apply the term violence in the very literal, by the book definition, you are correct. However, I do believe when people refer to violence in the general sense, they are speaking of aggression/harm to others specifically. So you're arguing semantics while basically saying the same thing really.

I enjoy conversations about complex subjects.

My statement needs some context because obviously I was not talking about eating food. Violence by definition is using force with the intent to harm, damage, or kill. I don't see eating as the intent to harm an apple more than an organisms need for sustenance. To dig into the semantics even deeper I could say that humans don't even need to kill another living thing in order to survive. We can harvest fruits/seeds produced by plants without killing the plants to sustain all of our nutritional needs. But that is not the intent of my comment because I agree we need to do "violence" to trees for wood, the earth for materials for construction, crops and domesticated animals to eat, etc.

In the context of my post my opinion is that violence should not be the solution to societal problems. I conceded after your complaint about blanket statements that violence may be needed to meet other violence. But I honestly feel that the person uses violence to get their way over another person is in the wrong.

Is there a situation you can think of where a person initiating violence with the intent to harm, damage, or kill another person is right?
    Last edited by Back; 01-21-2021 at 07:11 PM.

Is there a situation you can think of where a person initiating violence with the intent to harm, damage, or kill another person is right?
    "Hi! I'm a hippie and I will be squatting at your place since you opened the door and it allowed me to come in. I won't be moving out and your stuff is quite literally our stuff now. Peace and love my friend"
    RETARD HALL OF FAME

There will be no war when guns are more regulated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashliana View Post
    "I originally created an additional account back in the day to mess with the reputation system" Rep system came in 3 months later...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsa`ah View Post
    Well tell that to the Naval hospital that issued a birth certificate labeled Ft Lejeune ... and then typed it in.
    3 million more popular votes. I'd say the numbers speak for themselves. Gerrymandering won for Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazar View Post
    Really just curious more than anything else, what is your stance on fighting for fun, like consensual underground fight clubs, MMA, etc.?
    I have nothing against it.

On topic... I think if you apply the term violence in the very literal, by the book definition, you are correct. However, I do believe when people refer to violence in the general sense, they are speaking of aggression/harm to others specifically. So you're arguing semantics while basically saying the same thing really.
    I think most do see it that way, but there are also a lot of other people who see that in different shades of grey. Some who are against violence mean any violence committed between people period, to include sports and things like a good natured punch to the arm. Other people extend that further to mean what is considered animal cruelty by law. And yet others take it even further than that and believe any violence committed against people or animals is wrong period, regardless of the reason. Possibly other examples I can't think of but I believe those are the major ones. Which is just one reason why I believe clear and concise language is import here.

Another reason being that a lot of the people who speak out against violence haven't seem to put much thought into any of it. They don't have any solutions for the problem, merely the feeling that it is bad and should go away.
    [LNet]-GSIV:Lysistrata: "And I'm pretty perfect sooooo... What can I say. I'm dedicated. (To Jeril's cock.)"

I have nothing against it.

I think most do see it that way, but there are also a lot of other people who see that in different shades of grey. Some who are against violence mean any violence committed between people period, to include sports and things like a good natured punch to the arm. Other people extend that further to mean what is considered animal cruelty by law. And yet others take it even further than that and believe any violence committed against people or animals is wrong period, regardless of the reason. Possibly other examples I can't think of but I believe those are the major ones. Which is just one reason why I believe clear and concise language is import here.

Another reason being that a lot of the people who speak out against violence haven't seem to put much thought into any of it. They don't have any solutions for the problem, merely the feeling that it is bad and should go away.
    Makes sense, and I do agree with you. The answer to violence, in my opinion and as a basic answer, is better and more productive communication and a willingness to compromise. And showing respect to others, can't forget that one. If you improve those things, you take away a lot of the reason violence exists. The only other reasons I can think of are violent acts committed for passion and power, and I don't know that there is an answer to those. Something to chew on I guess.

I don't have anything against consensual violence either. I wouldn't be one to partake in it, but I've watched plenty of fights in my life. I don't have a problem with pretty much anything if it's consensual and victimless honestly.

In the context of my post my opinion is that violence should not be the solution to societal problems. I conceded after your complaint about blanket statements that violence may be needed to meet other violence. But I honestly feel that the person uses violence to get their way over another person is in the wrong.
    Since when has being right or wrong stopped a person from doing what their feelings are telling them to do? Especially under duress or mind altering substances, drugs, alcohol, whatever.
    Like it or not, violence is how we maintain law and order in this crazy world. And while you may feel violence isn't the answer, how do you plan to stop someone with a differing opinion?

Makes sense, and I do agree with you. The answer to violence, in my opinion and as a basic answer, is better and more productive communication and a willingness to compromise. And showing respect to others, can't forget that one. If you improve those things, you take away a lot of the reason violence exists. The only other reasons I can think of are violent acts committed for passion and power, and I don't know that there is an answer to those. Something to chew on I guess.

I don't have anything against consensual violence either. I wouldn't be one to partake in it, but I've watched plenty of fights in my life. I don't have a problem with pretty much anything if it's consensual and victimless honestly.
    I think overall better education and training would go a long way towards curbing a lot of the unnecessary violence. Would fix a lot of our problems really, but our system is so messed up no one wants to take the time to fix it.

Blog Entries

In the context of my post my opinion is that violence should not be the solution to societal problems.
    Society is completely structured on the threat of violence, this is prevalent throughout the animal kingdom. Humans are the best at it, that's why we sit at the top of the pyramid.

“It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“The urge to shout filthy words at the top of his voice was as strong as ever.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

I'm glad you reposted my post. Look at the context. I never just came out and said war would be eliminated when guns are more regulated as PB claims. I disagreed with a statement in the manifesto by the NZ mass murderer who thought that gun owners would wage a war when guns were more regulated.

Taken out of context I can see why you or PB might misunderstand the statement. It was written quickly on gaming message board.
    Italics for sarcasm?
    Discord: Methais#5420
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible