Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 413

Thread: Here it comes

  1. #1

  2. #2

    Default

    This is just virtue signaling. The chance of a Constitutional Amendment such as this being ratified by enough to states to pass is pretty much zero.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caelric View Post
    This is just virtue signaling. The chance of a Constitutional Amendment such as this being ratified by enough to states to pass is pretty much zero.
    One can hope.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    30,914
    Blog Entries
    17

    Default

    Absolutely none of the smaller population states are going to ratify this. It is dead before it starts.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    Absolutely none of the smaller population states are going to ratify this. It is dead before it starts.
    As said, one can hope. I just don't think they play by the rules, and those rules will get bent. But - we can hope.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaps View Post
    As said, one can hope. I just don't think they play by the rules, and those rules will get bent. But - we can hope.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    Absolutely none of the smaller population states are going to ratify this. It is dead before it starts.
    The sixteen smallest population split 8-8 in the Electoral College every election.
    Republicans get Wyoming Alaska NorthDakota SouthDakota Montana WestVirginia Idaho Nebraska.
    Democrats get DC Vermont Delaware RhodeIsland Maine NewHampshire Hawaii NewMexico.

    Although DC of course gets no say in Constitutional Amendment ratification, why wouldn't the other seven jump at the chance to abolish the EC? And for that matter their disproportional representation in the Senate?
    Hasta pronto, porque la vida no termina aqui...
    America, stop pushing. I know what I'm doing.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashliana View Post
    Will be a fun day when it actually breaks down. And if you think it's fear, LOL. I'm okay if society breaks down, will allow some actual work to get done to right this mess.
    Last edited by Shaps; 01-15-2021 at 11:12 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    30,914
    Blog Entries
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Latrinsorm View Post
    The sixteen smallest population split 8-8 in the Electoral College every election.
    Republicans get Wyoming Alaska NorthDakota SouthDakota Montana WestVirginia Idaho Nebraska.
    Democrats get DC Vermont Delaware RhodeIsland Maine NewHampshire Hawaii NewMexico.

    Although DC of course gets no say in Constitutional Amendment ratification, why wouldn't the other seven jump at the chance to abolish the EC? And for that matter their disproportional representation in the Senate?
    So? None of those smaller states want to give up their power, regardless of who they vote for.

    And all it takes is 13 states to refuse and no amendment passes.
    Last edited by Gelston; 01-15-2021 at 11:15 AM.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

  10. #10

    Default

    There's some serious barriers to overcome with any Constituional Amendment. First, to even be proposed, it needs a 2/3rd majority in the House AND Senate. Or 2/3rds of the States

    The Constitution provides that an amendment may be proposed either by the Congress with a two-thirds majority vote in both the House of Representatives and the Senate or by a constitutional convention called for by two-thirds of the State legislatures.
    Then, once proposed, it needs to be ratified by 3/4 of the states

    A proposed amendment becomes part of the Constitution as soon as it is ratified by three-fourths of the States (38 of 50 States). When the OFR verifies that it has received the required number of authenticated ratification documents, it drafts a formal proclamation for the Archivist to certify that the amendment is valid and has become part of the Constitution. This certification is published in the Federal Register and U.S. Statutes at Large and serves as official notice to the Congress and to the Nation that the amendment process has been completed.
    Both of those quotes come from here, the official archive of the US gov't

    Based on those requirements, it just plain ain't gonna happen. This is why some states are trying to do an end run around the Constitution, by drafting laws that say their electoral votes will go to the winner of the national popular vote, regardless of what the vote in their state is. Also the same reason many states are trying to do an end run around the 2nd Amendment, because they know that no changes to the 2nd Amendment are going to pass and be ratified by 3/4ths of the states.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •