Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Family vehicle

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Archigeek View Post
    So about those minivans... just added 2 little bambinos to the clan this morning.
    I'd go with a light SUV for two, unless you really just want a minivan.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

A minivan is best until they're 6-8 or so. The auto-open doors make it so much easier and it's also easier to climb in the back to resolve any number of minor disasters. My boys are 15 months apart; I hated having a minivan but would do it again with little kids. Finally got a nice SUV when they were in booster seats.
    Maags#2011

You give your flop-eared kitten an affectionate smooch and place it carefully on the ground, and it gazes about with wide curious eyes.
    A flurry of air blows by you!
    A poofy piebald flop-eared kitten is suddenly picked up by the wind and blown up!

Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    I'd go with a light SUV for two, unless you really just want a minivan.
    I currently have a Toyota FJ, which I may sell, along with my wife's Prius. I can't drive the Prius with the rear facing carseats in the back, and probably not any different with the FJ. I'll miss the FJ, but it's over 13 years old. It is the best vehicle I've ever owned when it comes to driving in snow, but that's kind of moot if you can't load it up.
    I don't use Lich. If you want to do business with me, contact me via PM, IG, or on AIM. Or maybe use smoke signals. Don't like it, get off of my lawn.

I'd have a hard time coming off a vehicle doing 1000+ miles on a tank. It's a device to get from A to B with the least hassle as you manage your family. Forget about the cool factor and prioritize efficiency and cost cutting would be my recommendation.

Congrats on whatever you buy and hope is light on maintenance for you.

Edit: You could always go with the Wagon Queen Family Truckster station wagon though. A classic!
    Last edited by Shaps; 12-09-2020 at 10:01 AM.

5. Default

Archi - can you just keep the FJ? Sounds like its paid off. Might be handy for just a knockaround car/grocery getter for yourself. I'm guessing if you get a new van and trade in the FJ, the dealer is going to give you like 1-2k max. That's approx 16-33 dollars on a standard 60 month car loan, plus a little extra for just minimum liability insurance, which could be offset by not getting takeout 1x a month.

It's a Toyota so it will last 300k+ miles.

I wish I still had my 2001 mustang to zip around town in with my kids...keep us updated!

Quote Originally Posted by LOL BRIELUS View Post
    Archi - can you just keep the FJ? Sounds like its paid off. Might be handy for just a knockaround car/grocery getter for yourself. I'm guessing if you get a new van and trade in the FJ, the dealer is going to give you like 1-2k max. That's approx 16-33 dollars on a standard 60 month car loan, plus a little extra for just minimum liability insurance, which could be offset by not getting takeout 1x a month.

It's a Toyota so it will last 300k+ miles.

I wish I still had my 2001 mustang to zip around town in with my kids...keep us updated!
    Actually FJs have amongst the highest resale values amongst used cars on Kelly Bluebook. Last time I looked, it was around 10k for a 13 year old one in decent shape Kind of crazy really, to get 10k back on a vehicle that was 28k new 13 years ago. It's blast in the snow though, which is probably why I've kept it. But I need something else stat.

This post was typed with a baby in my lap. Heh.
    Last edited by Archigeek; 12-09-2020 at 03:07 PM.
    I don't use Lich. If you want to do business with me, contact me via PM, IG, or on AIM. Or maybe use smoke signals. Don't like it, get off of my lawn.

7. Default

Wow, impressive. Sounds like a jeep Wrangler. I've been looking at some and even 2001s with 175k miles are 10 grand. Jeez! Anyway keep us posted!

Blog Entries

Just traded my 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan in for a 2022 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Touring L. It is a Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle, or a PHEV. Gets 80 miles to the gallon after you use up all the battery. Fucking beautiful vehicle. It has Automated Cruise Control, where you set the speed and just maintain lane and it does whatever needed with stopping and speeding up based on cars infront of you. You still need to stop are lights and stop signs, but it'll stop and go if someone else stops at a light ahead of you.

I've driven a little bit today. I have used 1 miles with of gas, and the battery wasn't even fully charged when I got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    Just traded my 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan in for a 2022 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Touring L. It is a Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle, or a PHEV. Gets 80 miles to the gallon after you use up all the battery. Fucking beautiful vehicle. It has Automated Cruise Control, where you set the speed and just maintain lane and it does whatever needed with stopping and speeding up based on cars infront of you. You still need to stop are lights and stop signs, but it'll stop and go if someone else stops at a light ahead of you.

I've driven a little bit today. I have used 1 miles with of gas, and the battery wasn't even fully charged when I got it.
    We are on the waiting list to get a Toyota hybrid minivan, but I'd take a Pacifica in a heartbeat.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Archigeek View Post
    We are on the waiting list to get a Toyota hybrid minivan, but I'd take a Pacifica in a heartbeat.
    There were only three within a 200 mile area of me. Originally the one I now have was taken with a deposit, like right before I got there. They called me that last night after I had put on a deposit for one 150 miles away (and was still in transit), and said the deal fell through and the customer was extremely irate, so I went the very next day (today) and got it. And then also got my deposit back from the other one.

I don't know if it is because of the chip shortage or what, they are just rare right now.