Thread: DC Jack Replacement Laptop

Default DC Jack Replacement Laptop

So apparently the DC jack (the plug in port) for my laptop needs to be replaced. Local PC repair shop quoted me $180 for the repair. $150 for labor and $30 for the part. I have zero experience with hardware. And keep in mind this is a laptop and not a desktop. Is it something I should attempt to do myself or just say screw it and have the shop do it? For working on a laptop to replace DC jack, does $180 sound reasonable? The laptop is in great shape and I spent about $400 on it 4 years ago to upgrade the ram and add an SSD.

2. Default

I'd buy a new laptop if it's 4 years old.

I mean you can get a nice midrange laptop for $500 and I'd guess it's better than your current one. Why put another $200 into something you'll want to replace shortly?
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/
    Click the link above to see how much you owe the government.

"Well I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black."
    -Superracist, Joe Biden

“If you don’t believe in free speech for people who you disagree with, and even hate for what they stand for, then you don’t believe in free speech.”
    -My favorite liberal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Suppa Hobbit Mage View Post
    I'd buy a new laptop if it's 4 years old.

I mean you can get a nice midrange laptop for $500 and I'd guess it's better than your current one. Why put another $200 into something you'll want to replace shortly?
    ^
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

4. Default

It's either a really simple fix, or an impossible one if you have no experience with electronics repair. Some laptops have a wired port that will literally allow you to unplug it (internally) and reattach a new one that you can likely find on Amazon for under $20. However, some have the port soldered directly to the motherboard, which requires a toolkit, soldering iron, and some finesse to replace. Determining which you have should be your starting point, but either way, the repair will involve disassembling the laptop, for which YouTube is a great resource. Feel free to PM me your laptop model number and deets and I can assist with determining the LOE to fix.

Does your laptop have a USB-C port? If so, it might have usbc power delivery and can charge through that. My charging port recently crapped out on my 2016 laptop and was able to pay $40 or so for a usbc pd charger and cord on Amazon. Works fine for charging. Make sure you get a charger that has sufficient wattage. PM me if you have questions. Happy to help
    Last edited by lexbubba; 09-16-2020 at 02:09 PM.