Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you die in GemStone?

Lightning crits from the lightning elementals in the confluence.

Its the one area that penalizes you for having too much DS and to prevent being constantly dispelled from having higher DS, I don't cast all +DS self spells. Every now and then, a lightning elemental sparks up and hits for a much higher AS than usual and gets a lucky lightning death crit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedrik View Post
    Lightning crits from the lightning elementals in the confluence.

Its the one area that penalizes you for having too much DS and to prevent being constantly dispelled from having higher DS, I don't cast all +DS self spells. Every now and then, a lightning elemental sparks up and hits for a much higher AS than usual and gets a lucky lightning death crit.
    One of the cores stops this from happening, highly recommend using it.
    Player Of:
    Ondreian

High-End For Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Methais View Post
    We should be able to hand silvers to critters.

You hand critter 1,000,000 silvers.

>incant 917
    >death
    >loot

You search the critter.
    It had 1,000,749 silvers on it.
    242 seconds of RT later... it seems you have died.
    I don't use Lich. If you want to do business with me, contact me via PM, IG, or on AIM. Or maybe use smoke signals. Don't like it, get off of my lawn.

4. Default

I haven't played in awhile, but death is most commonly the result (directly or indirectly) of CMAN/SMR attacks, in particular those which occur with no prior warning. The deck is fairly well stacked against anything else!

I don't know how great a system that is. I like the speed of combat and I don't think slowing it down or reducing the impact of criticals would improve it. But as a side-effect of that, most of the deaths feel more "Gotcha!" than "Oh, I fucked up. If only I had..." How else could it work? If all I need is a second to disable/kill everything in the room and I also have multiple emergency saves if I get into trouble, the window of opportunity for enemies to kill me becomes rather slim.

~Taverkin

Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    I haven't played in awhile, but death is most commonly the result (directly or indirectly) of CMAN/SMR attacks, in particular those which occur with no prior warning. The deck is fairly well stacked against anything else!

I don't know how great a system that is. I like the speed of combat and I don't think slowing it down or reducing the impact of criticals would improve it. But as a side-effect of that, most of the deaths feel more "Gotcha!" than "Oh, I fucked up. If only I had..." How else could it work? If all I need is a second to disable/kill everything in the room and I also have multiple emergency saves if I get into trouble, the window of opportunity for enemies to kill me becomes rather slim.

~Taverkin
    Dev has been stuck on this "slow combat down" bullshit for a while and they've yet to give any actual reasoning that makes sense, unless you count dumb shit like "Some people can't keep up" or someone like Krakii wanting to read every word of every line line of everything that comes up on screen or something equally retarded as making sense because immersion or something, despite already seeing it 87 trillion times over the past few decades.

The end goal for Simu is most likely to make people more reliant on gear instead of their own abilities and class/critter knowledge, since things have already been heading in that direction for a while.
    Last edited by Methais; 09-09-2020 at 04:42 PM.
    Discord: Methais#5420
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    Remember, I'm a tiny dick pussy.

I don't think they're trying to slow it down - this is supposed to be a living world, not a loot pinata - even though it has become one.

If there are no "gotcha moments", then there would be no reason for anyone to ever pay attention to combat at all. Players choices have consequences and just because the casters want to obliterate a room in 3 seconds without a fear of dying ever, doesn't mean Simu is plotting against the player-base because you might die once a week.

People need to get over themselves and their "invincibility" god complex.
    Last edited by Shaps; 09-11-2020 at 01:17 PM.

Wiz - Forget to whip out my staff.
    Bard - Killed ;song-manager to sing gems or something, then went hunting without restarting song-manager.
    Rogue - Scales traps mostly. Or get ungrouped from bard and take a 1030 to the dome.

Generally I die from carelessness and not much else. Granted, I just recently capped and have just been doing bandits and haven't played in any of the capped hunting grounds yet.

8. Default

4x cap paladin - either one of my scripts beefs in a silly way, or it's a void or charge. If in OTF it's a flare from a 101 end roll.
    2x cap wizard - CMANs