Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Camping

Default Camping

I am headed out for 5 days of canoeing in the BWCA tomorrow. Looking forward to being out of range of cell towers and most of humanity. The BWCA is one of those places where you can really get away if you want to.

If anyone is curious, we'll be entering at Baker Lake, and paddling north thru Jack, S Temperance, N Temperance, Sitka, Cherokee, and then looping west and south and exiting on Sawbill. All in all it's about 28 miles of paddling and a hair less than 4 miles of portaging.
    I don't use Lich. If you want to do business with me, contact me via PM, IG, or on AIM. Or maybe use smoke signals. Don't like it, get off of my lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Archigeek View Post
    I am headed out for 5 days of canoeing in the BWCA tomorrow. Looking forward to being out of range of cell towers and most of humanity. The BWCA is one of those places where you can really get away if you want to.

If anyone is curious, we'll be entering at Baker Lake, and paddling north thru Jack, S Temperance, N Temperance, Sitka, Cherokee, and then looping west and south and exiting on Sawbill. All in all it's about 28 miles of paddling and a hair less than 4 miles of portaging.
    Sounds like a fantastic trip! Hope you have lightweight canoes for all the portaging.
    My current items for sale or trade: Treasures in the Brambles.

Quote Originally Posted by BriarFox View Post
    Sounds like a fantastic trip! Hope you have lightweight canoes for all the portaging.
    As a teenager, we went up there with 90 pound Alumacraft canoes. Nowadays we use a ~40 pound Winona. The light weight is great, though you sacrifice a keel, so they're a little unwieldy if you end up in high winds. All in all I'll take my chances. I took three newbies up last year, which was my first trip in a while, and they liked it enough to do it again this year.
    I don't use Lich. If you want to do business with me, contact me via PM, IG, or on AIM. Or maybe use smoke signals. Don't like it, get off of my lawn.

Nice!

Blog Entries

Have fun!

I try to do some backpacking every year but things are just too crazy right now. Dying for some peace and quiet in the wilderness.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

I done the bwca a number of times, as well as the Canadian side (quetico). Was supposed to be in quetico again in June but had to cancel due to Canadian border crossing restrictions. Absolutely love that whole Northern Minnesota/Southern Canada area. Take some pics so we can live vicariously through you!

Quote Originally Posted by lexbubba View Post
    I done the bwca a number of times, as well as the Canadian side (quetico). Was supposed to be in quetico again in June but had to cancel due to Canadian border crossing restrictions. Absolutely love that whole Northern Minnesota/Southern Canada area. Take some pics so we can live vicariously through you!
    Will do. I've never been to the Canadian side, though I've been within a few hundred yards. Want to give it a try sometime.

Canadian side is great 1m+ acres that they only let 20k people per year in without any motorized vehicles. But permits are crazy expensive compared to bwca and hard to get

Quote Originally Posted by lexbubba View Post
    Canadian side is great 1m+ acres that they only let 20k people per year in without any motorized vehicles. But permits are crazy expensive compared to bwca and hard to get
    It's not easy to get exactly the BWCA permit you want, but not so bad if you're willing to be flexible on entry points.

That sounds amazing.
    Wyrom: Crux already died for our sins.
    SEND[Kenstrom] Behold Dark Cruxophim, Blood Reaver and Weaver of Shadows, eater of Rooks, corruptor of orphans, flayer of flesh...but won't read a letter from some dying woman's diary, haha.
    Thadston says, "Stand down Baron, and your men. Or I swear to Koar, Liabo, Lornon, Cruxophim, I will release your daughter and watch her die right here."
    Stormyrain evenly asks, "Did you just make Cruxophim a god?"
    --Order of the Shadow--
    --carrion.kissing.chaos--