Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ashes of Creation

Default Ashes of Creation

I’m curious, has anyone here went ahead and backed/purchase any of their bundles?

More so the big daddy $375 one?

Blog Entries

It sounds interesting, but also like they're trying to be everything to everyone. I doubt they'll be able to do half the things they promised, let alone do them well. Also sounds like a very group-and-PvP-focused game where you need to be in a large guild to really do anything and streamer armies will control servers.
    Last edited by Taernath; 08-02-2020 at 01:43 PM.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    It sounds interesting, but also like they're trying to be everything to everyone. I doubt they'll be able to do half the things they promised, let alone do them well. Also sounds like a very group-and-PvP-focused game where you need to be in a large guild to really do anything and streamer armies will control servers.
    Can't be worse than star citizen
    The only rude person I met was a taxi driver in kagoshima. I was going from the train station to the ferry to take it over to an island and was showing him my papers and he was like "oh, climb mountain?" and I'm like "hai, yep!" and he made a muscle pose(bent arm, whatever you call it) laughed, and rubbed my belly.. like "oh, no, you fat american fuck, you no get up there", but whatever - Japhrimel

Another battle royale game? Do we need another?

Selling Stuff and Things
    Elgrim#0001 on Discord or Elgrim on the Official GS Discord server under Nitro Boosters.

Quote Originally Posted by Elgrim View Post
    Another battle royale game? Do we need another?
    It's an MMO. And if they can actually pull off the shit they've been talking about, it'll be pretty insane.
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

6. Default

The promises they're making remind me of Archeage, which turned out to be shit, and EQNext, which was scrapped. But I like that it sounds like a fairly grounded PVP-focused experience, at least. Meanwhile, I've been eyeing this one, but it's been in development for quite a long time.

https://crowfall.com/en-US/index.html
    You remove a pair of oval ora-framed spectacles with pale grey lenses from in your ebon linen vest.

You unfold the earpieces of your spectacles.

You put on a pair of oval ora-framed spectacles with pale grey lenses.

You think to yourself, "Deal with it."

Quote Originally Posted by Teveriel View Post
    The promises they're making remind me of Archeage, which turned out to be shit, and EQNext, which was scrapped. But I like that it sounds like a fairly grounded PVP-focused experience, at least. Meanwhile, I've been eyeing this one, but it's been in development for quite a long time.

https://crowfall.com/en-US/index.html
    Meh
    Last edited by Gizmo; 08-05-2020 at 09:16 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Teveriel View Post
    The promises they're making remind me of Archeage, which turned out to be shit, and EQNext, which was scrapped. But I like that it sounds like a fairly grounded PVP-focused experience, at least.
    It kinda reminds me of EVE + one of those older MMOs with keep sieging... DAoC maybe? So much of it sounds like a nightmare to balance though. I read somewhere you'll have a class with multiple subclasses, and all told there are like 64 different combinations. I think it was Aion that tried that and wound up patching it out after a couple years.

I'm not sure how well a pvp-focused MMO will do these days, people say they want one but very few make it. EVE is probably the last holdout.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    It kinda reminds me of EVE + one of those older MMOs with keep sieging... DAoC maybe? So much of it sounds like a nightmare to balance though. I read somewhere you'll have a class with multiple subclasses, and all told there are like 64 different combinations. I think it was Aion that tried that and wound up patching it out after a couple years.

I'm not sure how well a pvp-focused MMO will do these days, people say they want one but very few make it. EVE is probably the last holdout.
    Rift did the multiple subclass thing fairly well if I remember correctly.

MMORPG players are whiny carebears. They can't handle getting griefed, so they complain about getting protection from "gankers" and then the RPG gets dumbed down. Eventually you get PvE and PvP servers, where the PvP servers lose population until they die off, or PvP only instances which become unpopular while the majority of your players are grinding gear and levels.

Saw it happen in like 4 MMOs including WoW.

The fist time I witnessed this happen was in Ultima Online. They started with a notoriety system, and full corpse looting. Then you could become a "Dark Lord" and that was the full evil side or a "Grand Lord" which was the full good notoriety. Eventually they made it so those with low notoriety couldn't enter cities other than the outlaw town, which resulted in all the PvP players griefing each other in their only hideout. Then players just resorted to hiding their loot in player housing, and griefiing players inside instances. This got further nerfed to support the "carebears" by making those who performed hostile actions marked as "safe to kill", so anyone could hunt them for a period of time until their hostile action wore off (which it would be turned on permanently for murderers). Which then caused players to turn to exploiting systems like thieving to steal loot instead of killing players.

Eventually UO made it an incredibly hard chore to be a player killer.

Then it happened in WoW when they had PvP servers where you could kill the other faction. That got nerfed continually until it was no longer worth it, and most of the player migrated to the PvE servers.

Saw it happen in Age of Conan, a game designed around PvP combat. So many players complained that they couldn't level effectively because higher level players were ganking them in the leveling zones "for fun", and so they were raging. PvE servers were created. The majority of the population moved. Then the game died because of reasons both related and unrelated to PvP. Conan had an extremely fun and engaging siege system if you could get enough players on voice chat and organize the raiding of player owned keeps.

In the end, MMORPGs designed around PvP do tend to fail or change so much from the original vision that they're unrecognizable. Seems like everyone has a hero complex, and cannot stand a world where a person could play a villain.
    Last edited by Maerit; 08-06-2020 at 12:16 PM.