Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Schools Reopening

Also, if we're referring to the revised CDC report recommending we bring children back into schools, the White House rejected the CDC's actual recommendations and ended up drafting its own recommendations. The most recent CDC report is mostly written by the CDC, but there are notes on the pages about school opening that indicate that the White House wrote those, not the scientists.

Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    Also, if we're referring to the revised CDC report recommending we bring children back into schools, the White House rejected the CDC's actual recommendations and ended up drafting its own recommendations. The most recent CDC report is mostly written by the CDC, but there are notes on the pages about school opening that indicate that the White House wrote those, not the scientists.
    Maybe time4fun can answer this question: what SHOULD we do? Continue to deny kids an education for another year or longer? Have people in their 20's still in school? Come on, stop complaining about everything and come up with some reasonable alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    Maybe time4fun can answer this question: what SHOULD we do? Continue to deny kids an education for another year or longer? Have people in their 20's still in school? Come on, stop complaining about everything and come up with some reasonable alternatives.
    Tgo, What do you think will happen when a child at school gets tested positive? That school will shut down for a week, and reopen and when another child gets COVID-19 the cycle will repeat. So do you think opening schools is really going to solve anything? Do you really think social distancing guidelines are going to stop the spread with children who don’t know a damn thing about hygiene?
    Last edited by Solkern; 08-01-2020 at 06:59 PM.
    The idiot award goes to…

Quote Originally Posted by Neveragain View Post
    The Constitution is not the Declaration of Independence. (I'm not at all surprised that you don't know this)
    An hour later:
    "That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, that whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government." ~ The Constitution

Blog Entries

My school district is doing full-time remote learning. So while not in class full-time my little one will be getting an education. Going in to the physical learning environment would be much better for her I wholeheartedly agree, but to say my kid is being denied an education is a stretch.

I have a luxury too other folks don't have, I can work remote and my wife sold her company and manages our farm so she is home full time. We live in an area where two income houses are pretty much mandatory unless you want to commute 90 minutes 1 way (which would have been my commute). Folks are desperate to get their kids in school I think not so much because they are eager to ensure their kids get an education but instead they want to be able work at full capacity again (at least that is where I am, and based on what folks are posting/saying for our counties educational programs). I think that is the bigger problem at hand.

If my school area offers full-time remote OR 2 days in and remote we will probably still go full-time remote. I do not know if our little lady could handle getting a small taste of normal for 3-4 weeks only to be angry and confused when someone tests positive and the whole system begins to fall apart and go full-time remote anyways. As adults it is much easier for us to process those things but for a 6-7 year old that is going to be very difficult. Someone WILL test positive. No matter how hard anyone tries it is going to happen.
    Discord - Arrolus#0270

Follow my farm - Cool Story Farm on facebook and Instagram!

Arrolus - Monk
    Aromos - Cleric

Quote Originally Posted by Orthin View Post
    My school district is doing full-time remote learning. So while not in class full-time my little one will be getting an education. Going in to the physical learning environment would be much better for her I wholeheartedly agree, but to say my kid is being denied an education is a stretch.

I have a luxury too other folks don't have, I can work remote and my wife sold her company and manages our farm so she is home full time. We live in an area where two income houses are pretty much mandatory unless you want to commute 90 minutes 1 way (which would have been my commute). Folks are desperate to get their kids in school I think not so much because they are eager to ensure their kids get an education but instead they want to be able work at full capacity again (at least that is where I am, and based on what folks are posting/saying for our counties educational programs). I think that is the bigger problem at hand.

If my school area offers full-time remote OR 2 days in and remote we will probably still go full-time remote. I do not know if our little lady could handle getting a small taste of normal for 3-4 weeks only to be angry and confused when someone tests positive and the whole system begins to fall apart and go full-time remote anyways. As adults it is much easier for us to process those things but for a 6-7 year old that is going to be very difficult. Someone WILL test positive. No matter how hard anyone tries it is going to happen.
    Edit: Nevermind you covered my point at the end of the second paragraph.
    Last edited by Ashlander; 08-01-2020 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orthin View Post

Yeah I just don't think kids are going to get as good of an education via remote learning.

Also what about kids who don't have computers or internet connection? I doubt the schools are going to provide this equipment but I suppose it's possible.

Yeah I just don't think kids are going to get as good of an education via remote learning.

Also what about kids who don't have computers or internet connection? I doubt the schools are going to provide this equipment but I suppose it's possible.

That could be a possibility, even a cheap tablet could do the job. Just sadly reopening schools, is just not a viable option.
    The idiot award goes to…

The Constitution is not the Declaration of Independence. (I'm not at all surprised that you don't know this)
    An hour later:
    "That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, that whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government." ~ The Constitution

Private school attended by Barron Trump prohibited from in-person learning until October as President pushes openings

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/08/01/p...rus/index.html
    The idiot award goes to…

An hour later:

Quote Originally Posted by Solkern View Post
    That could be a possibility, even a cheap tablet could do the job. Just sadly reopening schools, is just not a viable option.
    Hiding in a hole for the rest of our lives is not a valid option. There is a lot more to learning in a school than just the books and assignments. Keep in mind, most school systems were not doing all that well on that side of things before Covid. We have faced far far worse diseases and people still went to school, work and had social lives. We have treatments even if the media and the politically aligned "experts" deny them. And then there is the elephant in the room of Sweden that had no lock down, no quarantine and hasn't faced the apocalyptic predictions the Left in the US is so fond of.

Of course they are being over run by Islamic invaders that they refuse to deal with but that is a whole other issue.
    I asked for neither your Opinion,
    your Acceptance
    nor your Permission.

"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." Dante Alighieri 3
    "It took 2000 mules to install one Jackass." Diamond and Silk Watch the Movie

All 1m+ students in NYC public schools are confirmed having wifi and PC or were provided one. My workplace was proactive and distributed them a week before shut downs occurred.
    Last edited by rolfard; 08-01-2020 at 10:19 PM.