Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: On the Gross Domestic Products

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    None of that suggests we can't reach herd immunity without a vaccine. We have no idea how well an immune system will respond to reinfection yet. Again I'm not saying everything is roses and sunshine, it could be really bad, I just took umbrage on your stance that the only way to reach herd immunity is with a vaccine.
    ...antibodies are how the immune system works. If you don't have antibodies after three months, you're about as vulnerable as anyone who's never had the disease. People are already getting COVID for a second time, which is exactly what we'd expect with a three-ish month window of immunity and our completely bungled response.

Take all the umbrage you want, it's a fact that herd immunity based on natural infection is DOA.
    Hasta pronto, porque la vida no termina aqui...
    America, stop pushing. I know what I'm doing.

2. Default

So according to that map midwest states with under 200 deaths since the start are doing "worse" than New York?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobmuhthol View Post
    So you think you understand science better than I do? You honestly believe that, you fucking idiot?
    Please don't bring out the dictionary again

Quote Originally Posted by Latrinsorm View Post
    ...antibodies are how the immune system works. If you don't have antibodies after three months, you're about as vulnerable as anyone who's never had the disease. People are already getting COVID for a second time, which is exactly what we'd expect with a three-ish month window of immunity and our completely bungled response.

Take all the umbrage you want, it's a fact that herd immunity based on natural infection is DOA.
    And in the other thread you mocked me for linking to a NYPost article and here you are with Vox of all things.

A few explanations for this one particular patient:

The first infection was really a cold or the flu and the test results were a false positive
    This one particular patient has a shitty immune system that isn't typical of how most people respond to reinfections of COVID-19
    This person has another underlying health condition that makes his immune response to SARS-CoV-2 shitty.

To suggest this one patient is emblematic of the typical person's immune response is crazy. Crazy I say!

Quote Originally Posted by Iwannajoinin View Post
    So according to that map midwest states with under 200 deaths since the start are doing "worse" than New York?
    Latrin is the master at manipulating data (or using data someone else has manipulated) to push his point.

Notice it's not saying how well each state has done so far as a whole, rather they are focusing on "trends."

So since NY, NJ, MI, PA, etc all dropped the ball and fucked up really badly they are now "trending" better compared to where they were at the height of their failures, whereas other states who did really well in the beginning and are now having just a slight uptick in cases are "trending" worse.

It's like giving special recognition to an F student because they managed to bring their grade up to a D- while shitting all over a normally A+ student because lately they have only been getting an A.
    Last edited by Tgo01; 07-31-2020 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iwannajoinin View Post
    The key word there isn't "worse" but "are" - if you'll notice, the color codes refer to trending, or how the situation in a given state is changing right now.

New York in the first two weeks of July saw 9,052 new cases and in the second two weeks 10,364 for a 14% increase.
    Missouri in the same time periods saw 6,899 and 20,008 respectively for a 190%(!!!) increase.

Not only is Missouri suffering more cases (not per capita! raw cases), its increase is higher by an order of magnitude. Throw in that Missouri only has about a third of the population of New York and it's easy to see how Missouri is going in a very bad direction right now and New York right now isn't.

I picked Missouri because I couldn't find any Midwest states with under 200 deaths, but if you have a specific state in mind let me know and I can look up the same figures.

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    And in the other thread you mocked me for linking to a NYPost article and here you are with Vox of all things.

A few explanations for this one particular patient:

The first infection was really a cold or the flu and the test results were a false positive
    This one particular patient has a shitty immune system that isn't typical of how most people respond to reinfections of COVID-19
    This person has another underlying health condition that makes his immune response to SARS-CoV-2 shitty.

To suggest this one patient is emblematic of the typical person's immune response is crazy. Crazy I say!
    The bolded teal text in the Vox article denotes a "hyperlink", which if you click on will lead you to five related events, as well as an explanation of coronavirus immunity in general. Good luck!

I picked Missouri because I couldn't find any Midwest states with under 200 deaths
    How hard did you look?

South Dakota: 129 deaths
    North Dakota: 103 deaths
    Last edited by Tgo01; 07-31-2020 at 02:00 PM.

The bolded teal text in the Vox article denotes a "hyperlink", which if you click on will lead you to five related events, as well as an explanation of coronavirus immunity in general. Good luck!
    A whole 5!

Well that settles it. We understand literally everything there is to know about this virus that we weren't even aware of a year ago.

10. Default

The key word there isn't "worse" but "are" - if you'll notice, the color codes refer to trending, or how the situation in a given state is changing right now.

New York in the first two weeks of July saw 9,052 new cases and in the second two weeks 10,364 for a 14% increase.
    Missouri in the same time periods saw 6,899 and 20,008 respectively for a 190%(!!!) increase.

Not only is Missouri suffering more cases (not per capita! raw cases), its increase is higher by an order of magnitude. Throw in that Missouri only has about a third of the population of New York and it's easy to see how Missouri is going in a very bad direction right now and New York right now isn't.

I picked Missouri because I couldn't find any Midwest states with under 200 deaths, but if you have a specific state in mind let me know and I can look up the same figures.
    The dakotas. Both if them.