Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Predictions on what gets changed in game next

Default Predictions on what gets changed in game next

Let's all toss out our predictions on what will be changed next in GS.

My guesses:

All references to the word "master"
    Gender will be customizable
    Any sort of gendered term (sorcerer, journeyman, horseman, etc)

As we have seen no prediction is too ridiculous, so toss'em on out!

Sanctuary spells renamed to Safe Space and Seriously Safe Space
    Limb Disruption removed, not sensitive to amputees
    Animal Companions must be fed regularly, to avoid the impression of animal cruelty
    Removal of all in game alcohol to prevent the glorification of drinking to minors
    Snowflake items removed, to prevent offending snowflakes on both sides of the political spectrum
    Dwarves renamed to mountain folk
    Halflings renamed to tart folk
    Half Elves renamed to something lame
    Giantmen renamed to boomer folk, no wait...
    Every player given a stipend of 100,000 silvers per week. No more treasure from hunting. All in game silvers redistributed across the existing population equally once per month
    Empaths are not allowed to accept tips, healing at town empaths is now free. Fees from this healing is deducted monthly from the global silver pool before redistribution

Selling Stuff and Things
    Elgrim#0001 on Discord or Elgrim on the Official GS Discord server under Nitro Boosters.

Personally,
    I'm okay with gender pronoun selection.. want to be a "journeywoman" or "journeyman", "horseman" or "horsewoman", etc. so be it. I think it's a more accurate description when looking at someone to assist in their appearance.

Master - c'mon now.. apprentice/master relationships.. there are so many connotations to master that if you see that as a subversive or racist connotation, then you might be racist or something else.

Gender - should be 100% customizable IMO. Let people portray their "character" as they see fit and in the context of how they wish to RP.

My problem with the current conversation is the EXCLUSION of things. Not the ability for each person to individualize their PC as they wish to RP with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaps View Post
    I'm okay with gender pronoun selection.. want to be a "journeywoman" or "journeyman", "horseman" or "horsewoman", etc. so be it. I think it's a more accurate description when looking at someone to assist in their appearance.

Gender - should be 100% customizable IMO. Let people portray their "character" as they see fit and in the context of how they wish to RP.
    Wouldn't these two things contradict one another? If people are going to customize their gender then terms like "man" and "woman" no longer work.

While we're at it then "Bard" and "Bardess" would need to go away because "Bard" implies male and "Bardess" implies female.

Also can you imagine the coding nightmare if people want to be able to customize their pronouns? Like if someone wanted their pronoun to be "they" so whenever their character's pronoun is mentioned it would read "they"? You might say "Don't be silly, they won't go that far in their demands", but why wouldn't they? If you're allowing someone to customize their gender then it's only logical that the person who has a custom gender would want custom pronouns, otherwise you're saying "Sure, make your gender whatever you want, but you still have to choose between 'male' and 'female' pronouns."

Master - c'mon now.. apprentice/master relationships.. there are so many connotations to master that if you see that as a subversive or racist connotation, then you might be racist or something else.
    That could be said for the proposed changes to Dark Elves and Half-Krolvin, if you see "black person" written all over the lore and background of those races that then just might make you the racist.
    Last edited by Tgo01; 07-04-2020 at 01:44 AM.

Personally,

My problem with the current conversation is the EXCLUSION of things. Not the ability for each person to individualize their PC as they wish to RP with them.
    Damn fine point.
    Wyrom: Crux already died for our sins.
    SEND[Kenstrom] Behold Dark Cruxophim, Blood Reaver and Weaver of Shadows, eater of Rooks, corruptor of orphans, flayer of flesh...but won't read a letter from some dying woman's diary, haha.
    Thadston says, "Stand down Baron, and your men. Or I swear to Koar, Liabo, Lornon, Cruxophim, I will release your daughter and watch her die right here."
    Stormyrain evenly asks, "Did you just make Cruxophim a god?"
    --Order of the Shadow--
    --carrion.kissing.chaos--

6. Default

I don't think neutral gender toggle would really matter to me, if you can toggle everything to say they/them etc instead of "grabs his broadsword" that's fine with me and won't really effect my life if it makes someone feel better about themselves and I will barely see or notice it I'm fine with it, messing with stats/mechanics/even shop enimity is crossing the line for me though.

Blog Entries

I thought journeyman/journeywoman was already a thing? And I'm pretty sure I saw a horsewoman earlier tonight.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Quote Originally Posted by SonoftheNorth View Post
    I don't think neutral gender toggle would really matter to me, if you can toggle everything to say they/them etc instead of "grabs his broadsword" that's fine with me and won't really effect my life if it makes someone feel better about themselves
    The problem is it's not that simple. Some people have pronouns of he, they, his, or she, they, they, or they, them, their, and this doesn't even cover the people who have made up pronouns.

Depending on how the code is setup it could be a huge mess to code, and I'm betting since this wasn't even a thing people considered 30 years ago when GS was made it's not setup for this to be an easy change.

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    Wouldn't these two things contradict one another? If people are going to customize their gender then terms like "man" and "woman" no longer work.

While we're at it then "Bard" and "Bardess" would need to go away because "Bard" implies male and "Bardess" implies female.

Also can you imagine the coding nightmare if people want to be able to customize their pronouns? Like if someone wanted their pronoun to be "they" so whenever their character's pronoun is mentioned it would read "they"? You might say "Don't be silly, they won't go that far in their demands", but why wouldn't they? If you're allowing someone to customize their gender then it's only logical that the person who has a custom gender would want custom pronouns, otherwise you're saying "Sure, make your gender whatever you want, but you still have to choose between 'male' and 'female' pronouns."

That could be said for the proposed changes to Dark Elves and Half-Krolvin, if you see "black person" written all over the lore and background of those races that then just might make you the racist.
    TGO,
    Not arguing the points you made.. and as for coding issues I honestly have no idea.. I personally like the idea that a person can log in and through text accurately describe the person they wish to portray. Hence, I'm okay with allowing whatever descriptors they wish to allow others to see them as how they wish to be seen.

This is in context of the game. If we want to start the discussion on "them, they, ze, z" or whatever else is out there - yea I don't have the energy for that, so I see your point there.

As for Dark Elves and Half-Krolvin or anything else.. that's why I put in my last line - "My problem with the current conversation is the EXCLUSION of things."

I don't think anything should be taken out of the game. I'm for putting things INTO the game. I think a person should be able to express their character as they see fit... it does not mean I think things should be taken out of the game to assuage a persons desires. Life, both in game and out of game is beautiful and difficult..

There are horrors that exist.. There is virtue that exists.. We as creative people must be afforded the environment to allow that creative expression to occur in all of those environments.

In summation - Players should 100% be able to express themselves as they see themselves

- The environment should reflect both the good and the bad of existence to allow players to navigate and create their own stories in that world as they see fit.

I support the imagination and effort that people put into developing their in game persona, and I wish to have a game world that allows the exploration of all scenarios in it.

I think we'll find that people are good, empathetic, and supportive when faced with adversity or conflict. The environment (the game world) should reflect varying situations to allow the players the ability to form bonds and express themselves within it.

Rambling thoughts, but I hope the idea came across okay.

Hell yeah, this is fabulous and I'm there for it.
    Wyrom: Crux already died for our sins.
    SEND[Kenstrom] Behold Dark Cruxophim, Blood Reaver and Weaver of Shadows, eater of Rooks, corruptor of orphans, flayer of flesh...but won't read a letter from some dying woman's diary, haha.
    Thadston says, "Stand down Baron, and your men. Or I swear to Koar, Liabo, Lornon, Cruxophim, I will release your daughter and watch her die right here."
    Stormyrain evenly asks, "Did you just make Cruxophim a god?"
    --Order of the Shadow--
    --carrion.kissing.chaos--