Page 10 of 48 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Official: Crusade References

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    Literally anything can be construed to be a dog whistle.
    Construed, yes; broadly used, no. If one nutjob puts on a squirrel suit and goes on a bloodthirsty rampage, it doesn't make squirrels problematic. If a bunch of people start wearing squirrel tails on the back of their hats to Klan rallies, then sure.
    Wyrom: Crux already died for our sins.
    SEND[Kenstrom] Behold Dark Cruxophim, Blood Reaver and Weaver of Shadows, eater of Rooks, corruptor of orphans, flayer of flesh...but won't read a letter from some dying woman's diary, haha.
    Thadston says, "Stand down Baron, and your men. Or I swear to Koar, Liabo, Lornon, Cruxophim, I will release your daughter and watch her die right here."
    Stormyrain evenly asks, "Did you just make Cruxophim a god?"
    --Order of the Shadow--
    --carrion.kissing.chaos--

Hey! You're either with me or against me.
    Only a Dreaven speaks in absolutes!

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to SonoftheNorth again.
    Hah, same.
    Last edited by FlayedAngel; 07-04-2020 at 01:39 AM.
    SEND[Kenstrom] Behold Dark Cruxophim, Blood Reaver and Weaver of Shadows, eater of Rooks, corruptor of orphans, flayer of flesh...but won't read a letter from some dying woman's diary, haha.
    Thadston says, "Stand down Baron, and your men. Or I swear to Koar, Liabo, Lornon, Cruxophim, I will release your daughter and watch her die right here."
    --Order of the Shadow--

Quote Originally Posted by FlayedAngel View Post
    If one nutjob puts on a squirrel suit
    Goddamn it, I just realized that I Dadjoked my fucking self.
    --Order of the Shadow--

Construed, yes; broadly used, no. If one nutjob puts on a squirrel suit and goes on a bloodthirsty rampage, it doesn't make squirrels problematic. If a bunch of people start wearing squirrel tails on the back of their hats to Klan rallies, then sure.
    Now we're getting somewhere. So how many crazies does it take before they can officially take over a word or term?

Now we're getting somewhere. So how many crazies does it take before they can officially take over a word or term?
    Are we getting into the debate about Nazis co-opting Viking imagery and shit like that?

It's 88 instances, exactly... no more, no less.

Now we're getting somewhere.
    ARE WE, THOUGH??
    Last edited by FlayedAngel; 07-04-2020 at 01:51 AM. Reason: addition
    --Order of the Shadow--

6. Default

Yeah, I think some people were waaaaaay too harsh about this, but whatever. That's really nothing new.

And Kveta is good people, I'll attest to that -- that sucks.

I'm not saying anything for or against her, I don't know her at all and have never interacted with her in game to my knowledge, I was just trying to make a point that wyrom is probably in the middle of a ton of bullshit right now tempers are flaring hot and all jokes aside I don't think he wants world war three popping off in gemstone with staff telling people to unsub right before duskruin (cuz he's plannin on buyin a boat).

Quote Originally Posted by SonoftheNorth View Post
    I'm not saying anything for or against her, I don't know her at all and have never interacted with her in game to my knowledge
    She's very cool, I've hung with her. Chill but also very no nonsense, hah.

Quote Originally Posted by SonoftheNorth View Post
    I was just trying to make a point that wyrom is probably in the middle of a ton of bullshit right now tempers are flaring hot and all jokes aside I don't think he wants world war three popping off in gemstone with staff telling people to unsub right before duskruin
    The amount of shit that dude puts up with is legendary, for sure... I'm shocked he hasn't had like three heart attacks by now.
    Last edited by FlayedAngel; 07-04-2020 at 01:57 AM.
    --Order of the Shadow--

Are we getting into the debate about Nazis co-opting Viking imagery and shit like that?
    I'm just curious when do we decide that a word or term is now off limits because hate groups co-opted the word.

Like the swastika symbol was used all over the world for thousands of years before the Nazis used the symbol, but now that symbol is a lost cause (and rightfully so I might add) due to the Nazis using the symbol. Yet the Nazis were also a fan of the Iron Cross yet that symbol has mostly remained unscathed over the years.

But the crusades were hundreds of years ago and now some hate groups are using the term "crusade" so it's problematic? Like you said one nutjob using a word/term/symbol doesn't ruin it for everyone so then what does it take? It seems to be entirely arbitrary now and that's the problem, if its arbitrary then everything is up for being removed depending on the mood of the person in charge.

It's 88 instances, exactly... no more, no less.
    I see what you did there.

I'm just curious when do we decide that a word or term is now off limits because hate groups co-opted the word.

Like the swastika symbol was used all over the world for thousands of years before the Nazis used the symbol, but now that symbol is a lost cause (and rightfully so I might add) due to the Nazis using the symbol.
    That's actually a topic that I find very intriguing, how mercurial things like that can be. There's a push to take back some of the Viking imagery that's been unfortunately co-opted; I have a friend that runs a local meadery that has a huge boner for Viking stuff and is always promoting positive reintegration, heh.

I do have a date with a taco at the present, though.

Quiet you.
    --Order of the Shadow--

"It's time for tacos and titties... titties optional!"
    --Order of the Shadow--